01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
User Info
I recently found out that I will be going to Tokyo and Hong Kong in a few months and was wondering if there are any must see shaving stores in either city?

It got me thinking that it might be fun to create a global section on the forum to discuss cities / areas of shaving interest (stores, tours of manufacturers, barbers)?

191 1,552
 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Well, I can speak for Japan, as I have been there multiple times and have a good knowledge of what you can find.

Japan is not a traditional shaving country, so don't expect to find Feather or KAI razor and blades everywhere. It is actually not that easy to find. I think it is actually easier and cheaper to buy these products elsewhere. Majority of the stuff they have are carts and canned goo. On the soap/cream front, there isn't much as well. If you really dig in the drugstores, you will be able to find a cream called rohto mentholatum, which is a brushless cream with a strong mentol scent. Also in there a couple of powder shaving soaps, one made by KAO and another by MBG. Both available at Tokyu Hands. The MBG comes in a small bottle, but the KAO comes in a huge bottle, and I did not find it worth the try.

Now to what Japan really shines: The Aftershaves. I find the Japanese aftershaves one of the best available. I have a pretty decent size collection. They are that good.

As for the actual stores in Tokyo:
BIC camera is my favorite place for aftershaves and other toiletries.
Tokyu hands has a nice selection of nail clippers (KAI, Feather), powder soaps, Feather blades, Feather Popular. I found the 4711 Portugal ASL and ASB there. They also have some brushes but I was not convinced in buying a Japanese brush Biggrin
Local pharmacies also have a ton of aftershave and sometimes at a better price than big stores.

EDIT: In Tokyu Hands you can also find the only japanese shaving soap I think, but it is pretty expensive and the reviews about it are not that promissing. It is made by the Kamisori Club, if I'm not mistaken. They may have a store in Tokyo, but I never found the time to investigate.

10 486
 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM
User Info
(01-10-2014, 02:20 PM)Fab Wrote: Well, I can speak for Japan, as I have been there multiple times and have a good knowledge of what you can find ……..

Thanks a lot Fab. Very helpful information!

Do you know if BIC Camera or Tokyu Hands carries straights or kamisori's?

191 1,552
 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Tokyu hands may have some, but very limited. We have some expectations that we will find straights and Kamisoris in the land of the swords, but that is not really true. Of course you can find if you dig deeper, but I think it will be at a local swordsmith or something of the sorts. At mainstream stores, you will be lucky to find a few DEs, kamisoris or straights.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

10 486
 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM
User Info
Thanks. That is what I suspected. When I was there before, the traditional things I was expecting to find I didn't. With so much to see however, it exceeded my expectations.

191 1,552
 01-11-2014, 03:42 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Great tips, Fabiano!

I may also be going to Japan in a few months, and your tips were very helpful indeed. I am, however, a bit disappointed that you can't find SRs easily available... I was counting on bringing at least one.

25 4,632