01-10-2014, 08:38 PM
User Info
would it hurt anything to add a few drops of aftershave to the soap before I lather up?. I just started using a safety razor about a month ago but have used a brush and soap for a long time. Why I ask is because I have received my order from the wet shaving sample shoppe and after smelling all the new soaps. This got me thinking how I could spice up the last of my old Williams soap. thanks for the help and thanks Travis.

0 14
 01-10-2014, 08:58 PM
User Info
i wouldn't do it because it sounds contradicting - but i suggest you be your own guinea pig and try it right away. it wont be end of the world if not a hit - and maybe you find you like it Wink

7 1,625
 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
User Info
I don't use aftershave/splash, but if you are fine with the one you are using, now, I don't see how it couldn't improve your Williams soap as it has no smell, really. Biggrin
It could possibly destabilize the lather and that could be a bit problematic with Williams, as it isn't the best lathering soap.
Let us know how it goes and good luck. Smile

75 20,883
 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'd be more inclined to add a few drops of Fragrant Oil or Essential Oil.

Or to not only improve the smell, but also the performance add another cream or croap...

I believe the characteristics or purpose of modern Aftershave runs counter to those of lather (i.e. open pores, vs closed).

Originally, aftershave had just one purpose: to disinfect, especially back when people actually went to the barber for a shave and the same blade was used between multiple customers. Aftershave, was basically a scented rubbing alcohol and a good way to prevent bacteria and infection. Today, most aftershaves still contain alcohol as one of the main ingredients, which acts as both a disinfecting agent and a toner, but aftershave, like your humble mug soap, has come a long way...

91 17,856
 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
User Info
update I did try the aftershave in the mix is was ok. then I tried the essential oil not so good maybe the oil part killed it. I think if you where to add the oil or aftershave if you grate it but there's way to many great soaps for me to try to make Williams smell better. thanks for the help folks Biggrin

0 14
 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-11-2014, 07:11 PM)Rango Wrote: update I did try the aftershave in the mix is was ok. then I tried the essential oil not so good maybe the oil part killed it. I think if you where to add the oil or aftershave if you grate it but there's way to many great soaps for me to try to make Williams smell better. thanks for the help folks Biggrin

Points for trying, but as you said, there's way too many great soaps...

91 17,856
 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 07:11 PM)Rango Wrote: update I did try the aftershave in the mix is was ok. then I tried the essential oil not so good maybe the oil part killed it. I think if you where to add the oil or aftershave if you grate it but there's way to many great soaps for me to try to make Williams smell better. thanks for the help folks Biggrin

Quick question, when you added the aftershave, did your skin feel more dry - as a result of the alcohol in the aftershave? And for the oil was it a distilled oil or a carrier? for those who don't obsess about these things like geek that I am, the distilled would be 100% oil pulled from the plant and carriers are alcohol with the plant oil included.

And thanks for the info and experimentation! Yours, Kristin

0 135
 01-12-2014, 12:50 PM
User Info
my skin didn't feel any drier from the aftershave than the normal feel that I get from Williams. with that said I also didn't use that much because of the alcohol. as far as the EO it is Aura Cacia brand. the bottle didn't say if it was distilled It just says Bay 100% pure essential oil.

0 14
 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Adding anything to soap including the lather can be dependent on how much is added. If too much of an additive is added is going to kill the lather.

Adding an essential oil would be included in this. An essential oil would be pure, however if it's been mixed with a carrier oil then it's no longer an essential oil and would be considered cut or an extract. The added oils will also kill the lather. So it's a bit much like playing Russian roulette when adding things into a finished product of soap or it's lather without precise methods of measuring. Either using a scale or drops from a dropper.

I agree with Celestino as it may be hard to tell and determine if it's what you added that is killing the lather or the soap itself as Williams isn't known for being the best lathering soap. It's one of those soaps that has it's love it or hate it fans with very few in the middle.

Ben is also right on with his advice. Add a drop or two of a fragrance oil or essential oil because of the other ingredients that are in aftershave. Primarily alcohol.... Whether it's fragrance oil or essential oil in an aftershave that portion of the recipe is a very small percent of the total amount of the ingredients in the recipe. So that's something to keep in mind and invest in some FO or EO that you like if you want to give it a new scent. Of course it's existing scent can morph other scents added. Just the nature of the beast....

7 405