01-11-2014, 02:16 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm konsidering a Kamisori...

Any advice or tips?

I like the idea of a 5/8 Iwasaki Kamisori with handle wrapping.

I imagine it is a bit lighter and shorter than the full size (or 6/8) Kamisori and therefore perhaps easier to handle and more navigable.

I have no experience with Kamisori other than the (dare I say) Feather version, any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

91 17,868
 01-11-2014, 02:58 AM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 02:16 AM)ben74 Wrote: I'm konsidering a Kamisori...

Any advice or tips?

I like the idea of a 5/8 Iwasaki Kamisori with handle wrapping.

I imagine it is a bit lighter and shorter than the full size (or 6/8) Kamisori and therefore perhaps easier to handle and more navigable.

I have no experience with Kamisori other than the (dare I say) Feather version, any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Ben, speak with Takeshi at Aframestokyo, he's based in Hawaii and will steer you well, his prices are excellent. I've been contemplating a 50mm Iwasaki myself, however haven't pulled the trigger yet. http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo....razor.html You can also contact Maksim from Japanese Natural Stones, however his prices tend to be higher.

Ofcourse, you know this means you'll also need a Kanayama strop and Nakayama Kiita whetstone, right...? This will inevitably lead to you purchasing several knives before you realise you need a 240mm Shigefusa Kitaeji gyuto and a Hattori KD Biggrin If you ever get into kitchen knives, which I'm sure you will just ask.

Michael

21 459
 01-11-2014, 04:57 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-11-2014, 02:58 AM)mixershave Wrote: Ben, speak with Takeshi at Aframestokyo, he's based in Hawaii and will steer you well, his prices are excellent. I've been contemplating a 50mm Iwasaki myself, however haven't pulled the trigger yet. http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo....razor.html You can also contact Maksim from Japanese Natural Stones, however his prices tend to be higher.

Ofcourse, you know this means you'll also need a Kanayama strop and Nakayama Kiita whetstone, right...? This will inevitably lead to you purchasing several knives before you realise you need a 240mm Shigefusa Kitaeji gyuto and a Hattori KD Biggrin If you ever get into kitchen knives, which I'm sure you will just ask.

Michael

Thank-you Michael for the great advice and definitely the best price I've seen! Biggrin

Do you know if Takeshi ensures his Iwasaki are shave ready?

I have a Kanayama strop already, but no whetstone.

As for kitchen knives, I really need to invest in some good ones!

91 17,868
 01-11-2014, 07:02 AM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 04:57 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 02:58 AM)mixershave Wrote: Ben, speak with Takeshi at Aframestokyo, he's based in Hawaii and will steer you well, his prices are excellent. I've been contemplating a 50mm Iwasaki myself, however haven't pulled the trigger yet. http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo....razor.html You can also contact Maksim from Japanese Natural Stones, however his prices tend to be higher.

Michael

Thank-you Michael for the great advice and definitely the best price I've seen! Biggrin

Do you know if Takeshi ensures his Iwasaki are shave ready?

I have a Kanayama strop already, but no whetstone.

As for kitchen knives, I really need to invest in some good ones!

Ben, just ask Takeshi. He's very cool and if the kamisori is not shave ready I'm sure he could sharpen it for you and give you tips on how to sharpen it. He can also give you the best advice on stones for your razor. As you can tell his prices are very fair, even to the point where he's told me not to spend money Cool If you're buying the razor as a collector, then I recommend trying to purchase one of these: http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo....bla58.html, however they're like hen's teeth.

Maksim can also sharpen razors and is generous with his knowledge. I've sent him some of my kitchen knives for restoration and his sharpening is excellent. BTW any feedback on the frags?

Michael

21 459
 01-11-2014, 07:49 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
For Kitchen knives I have had great success with Shun knives. They are made by the same people who make Kai blades.I have my whole family hooked on them.

57 917
 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-11-2014, 07:02 AM)mixershave Wrote: Ben, just ask Takeshi. He's very cool and if the kamisori is not shave ready I'm sure he could sharpen it for you and give you tips on how to sharpen it. He can also give you the best advice on stones for your razor. As you can tell his prices are very fair, even to the point where he's told me not to spend money Cool If you're buying the razor as a collector, then I recommend trying to purchase one of these: http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo....bla58.html, however they're like hen's teeth.

Maksim can also sharpen razors and is generous with his knowledge. I've sent him some of my kitchen knives for restoration and his sharpening is excellent. BTW any feedback on the frags?

Michael

Michael, the link took me to a general products page, were you referring to the legendary Iwasaki Kamisori made from Iwasaki Tamahagane ("Jewel-Steel") by Master Kosuke Iwasaki... ? If so, I found one, but it's expensive (about 750 Euro + shipping) and my budget won't likely stretch that far!

As for the frags (I'm really enjoying them, thank-you again) and I'll send you a PM with my thoughts...

91 17,868
 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 07:49 AM)Barrylu Wrote: For Kitchen knives I have had great success with Shun knives. They are made by the same people who make Kai blades.I have my whole family hooked on them.

Shun are well finished knives and are made in Japan, however they only scratch the surface. If I could only recommend one knife that is excellent value and you'll keep a lifetime, it would be Shigefusa Kasumi 240mm gyuto. The pic below is the 210mm, this will show you the Kasumi finish, however it's a little small to use:
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shi...-wa-gyuto/

If the budget stretches, the Kitaeji version is the ultimate:
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shi...-wa-gyuto/

21 459
 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Micheal ... you, my friend, are a true enabler ... I love it!

Just when I think I'm 'done for now' ... it's threads like this that bring me back in ... Biggrin

102 17,670
 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 07:52 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 07:02 AM)mixershave Wrote: Ben, just ask Takeshi. He's very cool and if the kamisori is not shave ready I'm sure he could sharpen it for you and give you tips on how to sharpen it. He can also give you the best advice on stones for your razor. As you can tell his prices are very fair, even to the point where he's told me not to spend money Cool If you're buying the razor as a collector, then I recommend trying to purchase one of these: http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo....bla58.html, however they're like hen's teeth.

Michael

Michael, the link took me to a general products page, were you referring to the legendary Iwasaki Kamisori made from Iwasaki Tamahagane ("Jewel-Steel") by Master Kosuke Iwasaki... ? If so, I found one, but it's expensive (about 750 Euro + shipping) and my budget won't likely stretch that far!

As for the frags (I'm really enjoying them, thank-you again) and I'll send you a PM with my thoughts...

Ben, just wait for it to pop up in Takeshi's store. They came in maybe 6-12 months ago and I didn't get one, I'm a little annoyed at myself for that. I'm finally starting to realise I only want the best at the right price, the wait makes it only more enjoyable. At least I did pull the trigger on a Hattori KD 150mm Petty knife, the last time these were available was 2008, they sold out in minutes.
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/kdseries.html

21 459
 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Agreed. However, I have 9 Shuns and frequently give one as a gift.That would be impossible to do with the Kasumi

57 917
 01-11-2014, 04:57 PM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 04:46 PM)Agravic Wrote: Micheal ... you, my friend, are a true enabler ... I love it!

Just when I think I'm 'done for now' ... it's threads like this that bring me back in ... Biggrin

Hey Ravi, yeah I'm terrible. I can point you in the right direction for the best stuff, but then you may miss out on the journey Biggrin

21 459
 01-11-2014, 05:03 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
This is an old Alton Brown You Tube on Shun. It got me sold. Not only that it left me with enough money to indulge my coffee and wet shaving passions.

57 917
 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM
User Info
Ben, the 5/8 Iwasaki is, in a word, beautiful!
I love mine even though I haven't truly put the time into using it. It is a work of art and I hope to at some point dedicate some time to learning how to use it properly.
I won't say it will be easy for you with all the maintenance and learning curve as this is a bit different than your Feather straights.
Best of luck if you do get one. They are an amazing investment, in my opinion! Smile

75 20,883
 01-12-2014, 01:17 AM
User Info
since this thread is aready a wild mix of japanese knives for face and food i stir the pot some more.

first of all: japanese kitchen knives comes in an array of variants. as a potential user and buyer - one should first set straight what is really needed: these handmade knives + whetstones + cedar/willow cutting boards are usually not items one would sell or trade once into your position: it is for daily use for you and only you - like your shaving equipment. it is nothing you normally share with your family and friends.

you would need at minimum two knives: the usuba for vegetables and the deba for fish and meat. in addition you would possibly wish for a third - the yanagiba - for sashimi.

"the best" in japanese kitchen knives are normally made on order only after your own specifications and puchasing one of those would give little sense if you are not a highly skilled professional cook that needs a very hard and long lasting edge for the whole working day.

if you have not yet - i suggest you purchase and read the book "japanese kitchen knives" by hiromitsu nozaki + kate klippensteen before proceeding any further. then you will be more qualified to find the steel grade and size of knives that suit yourself. the book also explains how to deal with daily maintenance of your knives and whetstones as well as how to proceed in purchasing a japanese knife and where to buy.

7 1,625
 01-12-2014, 02:56 AM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 09:31 PM)celestino Wrote: Ben, the 5/8 Iwasaki is, in a word, beautiful!
I love mine even though I haven't truly put the time into using it. It is a work of art and I hope to at some point dedicate some time to learning how to use it properly.
I won't say it will be easy for you with all the maintenance and learning curve as this is a bit different than your Feather straights.
Best of luck if you do get one. They are an amazing investment, in my opinion! Smile

Oh no, I think I'm being enabled Biggrin

21 459
 01-12-2014, 04:26 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-11-2014, 05:03 PM)Barrylu Wrote: This is an old Alton Brown You Tube on Shun. It got me sold. Not only that it left me with enough money to indulge my coffee and wet shaving passions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVCM5BfeA8c

I've been trying to figure out where I recognise that man from...

[Image: eQHZ7tr.png]

91 17,868
 01-12-2014, 04:29 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-11-2014, 09:31 PM)celestino Wrote: Ben, the 5/8 Iwasaki is, in a word, beautiful!

Tell me more Celestino, pics too PLEASE !!!

91 17,868
 01-12-2014, 05:35 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Very interesting topic for someone that, like me, has always had a very keen interest in Japanese knifes and razors. Thank you!

25 4,642
 01-12-2014, 05:46 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-11-2014, 04:57 PM)mixershave Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 04:46 PM)Agravic Wrote: Micheal ... you, my friend, are a true enabler ... I love it!

Hey Ravi, yeah I'm terrible. I can point you in the right direction for the best stuff, but then you may miss out on the journey Biggrin

Thank you, again, for the wonderful enabling.
Thank you, Ben, for initiating this thread.

An Iwasaki 50mm razor has been ordered ... and I am eager to receive it.

Japanese steel is quite intriguing ... Smile

102 17,670
 01-12-2014, 10:17 PM
User Info
(01-12-2014, 04:29 AM)ben74 Wrote: Tell me more Celestino, pics too PLEASE !!!

* Ben, I am sorry to disappoint you, for the moment, as a friend of mine is honing it for me, here, in Vancouver and is using it as he wanted to try it before he got his own.
Once I get it back, I will post pics and try shaving with it. I promise. Biggrin

75 20,883