01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Sometimes I think I enjoy lathering more than the shave. That's why I put great importance on my shaving brushes, soaps and creams. Mine are all silvertips, well stuffed with premium hair, with solid backbone and silky soft tips. Scratchy brushes irritate my skin. That's why I abhor the pure badger. You can have horsehair brushes. Some boar bristle brushes, however, especially after I have broken them in, are okay for me, but even then I use them infrequently.

I don't know how many brands and models of shaving brushes I have gone through in the many years of wet shaving. Currently my lineup includes silvertips from Thater, Simpson, Rooney and Vie-Long. That's right, Vie-Long. The Spanish brand is well known for its horsehair brushes. That's why at first I was hesitant to order the beehive silvertip. In the end I broke down and bought the brush, because it kept pulling me. I am ecstatic that I did. This is a delightful little brush, available only from Bull Goose.

The brush has a 25 mm silvertip knot set to a 52 mm loft and tucked in a 55 mm handle. It is well made and fits perfectly in my small hands. This Vie-Long silvertip has a firm backbone, excellent flow through, and tips as soft as an angel's kiss. I face lather and find this brush ideal. What's more, I have become so fond of it that I refer to it as my wonder brush. Is it better than my Thaters, Simpsons and Roonies? That's a moot question, because I take each brush for what it is. I love those brushes, and I love the Vie-Long silvertip. For sure it is in their class of quality brushes.

I use mostly soaps with a sprinkling of creams. The Beehive Vie-Long silvertip works well with both. Through the years I have bought and sold many brushes. My beehive Vie-Long silvertip, however, is not going anywhere. It's a keeper.
[Image: YzjSpCi.jpg]
[Image: fGaGKPf.jpg]
[Image: k8wlA0K.jpg]

132 2,614
 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the write-up! You don't hear much of the Vie Long badger knots - I'd like to compare the 16510 24/50 silvertip to my non-D01 Shavemac with the same dimensions, but finances and all that...

0 141
 01-11-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
Obie, great to hear you are enjoying this brush so much!
Let me know when you really tire of your other ones! Biggrin

75 20,883
 01-11-2014, 02:37 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Celestino,
I'll probably stick with the brushes I have, but then you never know. I have cut the lineup down to two Thater brushes (28 mm and 26 mm), the Simpson Chubby 3 super and the Tulip 4 super, a 26 mm Ronney super silvertip two-band and the Style 3 Size 2, and the Vie-Long. I might add one Semogue boar — I have bought and sold a big pile of them and now have none.

132 2,614
 01-17-2014, 05:04 AM
User Info
This brush has intrigued me for a while. I may have to give it a try

41 471