01-11-2014, 09:38 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have recently developed a technique for helping dry my badgers out.

After I have finished using a brush, flicked out the excess water (never too vigorously) and after a few strokes on a dry towel, I take the handle between two fingers and thumb right at the base and gently tap the whole brush down on a towel over a firmer base (a washing machine lid in my case). I also rotate the brush at the same time, tap tap, rotate, tap tap, rotes, etc. What I find is the brush takes on a 'pre-bloom', that is, the hairs part a little and fan out fairly symmetrically too, depending on how advanced your technique is.

I figure that the pre-blooming means the water can evaporate off more quickly and efficiently. Also, it's a nice little rounding-off gesture. I don't bang down too hard because it isn't necessary, and never directly on a hard surface which might damage the handle. Towel down, as I say. I'd be interested to know if others have ever done this, or now might try?

I doesn't work with boar brushes. But that doesn't matter: I find boars dry well just with the usual flick off and a few strokes on a dry towel.

0 1,625
 01-11-2014, 11:00 PM
User Info
Shaun, I have never tried this and I think you may be doing too much to try to dry your brush. Most brushes will thoroughly dry after one day unless you have some very large knots and I wouldn't necessarily suggestion doing this as you may be applying undo and unnecessary stress on the tips which could lead to weakening them.
That is just my opinion, and if you are comfortable with this procedure than best of luck. Smile

75 20,883
 01-12-2014, 03:03 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Oh it's just a light, light touch, my friend, as indicated. Sometimes when you're travelling, it might come in handy if you're looking for a speedier overnight dry.

Also, I am not tapping the hairs onto the towel...but the base (flat) of the handle. I wasn't suggesting tapping the hairs into the towel! I think you had the whole image upside-down Smile

Tapping the handle just opens the hairs up. Try and see with a wettish brush.

0 1,625
 01-12-2014, 03:25 AM
User Info
shaun - i basically do as you - but tap lightly with a finger on sides of handle while rotating slowly to get the hairs to open and even out to a symmetrical bloom Smile

7 1,625
 01-12-2014, 03:30 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-12-2014, 03:25 AM)tonsorius Wrote: shaun - i basically do as you - but tap lightly with a finger on sides of handle while rotating slowly to get the hairs to open and even out to a symmetrical bloom Smile

Interesting to hear; I do that too, for symmetry Smile I know, I know. Try the tapping the base down like I do; you might be surprised. It's a little thing, I know, but I think a nice, handy technique Smile

0 1,625
 01-12-2014, 05:38 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-12-2014, 03:03 AM)Shaun Wrote: Oh it's just a light, light touch, my friend, as indicated. Sometimes when you're travelling, it might come in handy if you're looking for a speedier overnight dry.

Also, I am not tapping the hairs onto the towel...but the base (flat) of the handle. I wasn't suggesting tapping the hairs into the towel! I think you had the whole image upside-down Smile

Tapping the handle just opens the hairs up. Try and see with a wettish brush.

I travel quite a bit, and I had that same problem, but I solved it in another way: bought a STF brush, that dries instantly! Biggrin

25 4,640
 01-12-2014, 07:55 AM
User Info
shaun - i just tried tapping the base lightly as you do - and i find the results rather similar to what i do. same goal - different roads Wink

7 1,625