01-12-2014, 12:10 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
So last Monday my laptop died on me.... not exactly the thing anyone wants to see happen. I walked out of the room and it went to sleep. When I returned and tried to wake it up it wouldn't.... the fan runs but the screen is black. It's well cared for and was only 3 years old. I do try to replace laptops every 2 years but went three years this year because I took that year off being sick. But anywho that is not the point. I do hope to take it in to get someone to recover the information off my hard drive. *crosses fingers*

But yesterday I went and picked up a new laptop. I admit that looking up new computer stuff wasn't something I had done and I didn't really realize that there was a new windows platform.

So I went to sears because the hubby had high dollar gift cards from work to use there and low and behold they didn't have any windows 7 laptops not to mention limited options to start with in stock. But I picked the one I wanted and was walking out the door shortly with it. Do those guys earn commissions with every buyer they take care of?

I came home with a 15" DELL touchscreen with windows 8 and posted to my facebook page about it and lots of people posted how much they hated it. So when I finally got home, many hours later.... I think it was about 8 hours on the road alone total, not to mention other shopping and meals etc... But when I did get home I opened it with the frame of mind that it wasn't windows 7 and was going to be very different and I just needed to learn how to use it. Worst case scenario I was going to be wig shopping next.

So for those of you that are running windows 8 what are your thoughts? Likes..... dislikes.....

So far... honestly I am liking it. The bells and whistles are nice and fun but it's not that hard to use. A little confusing at times, but not so much that I can't use it. But then it's new and I'm still learning. But it's just a bit of a pain adding in everything that I had... to which I am still working on that part.......

7 405
 01-12-2014, 12:18 PM
User Info
My wife has Windows 8 on her relatively new HP desktop, and generally she likes it. But she hates its image handling program, which won't let her sort images; she ended up having to install a separate freestanding image processing program from the Microsoft download site.

184 12,003
 01-12-2014, 12:41 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Images was another concern for me. I had some picts on my camera that I had uploaded prior to my laptop crashing and I didn't delete them. So it was something I played with and while I did get them on my computer easy enough it was a matter of sorting them which is important to me as well. So I am hoping to find an shortcut way of doing this.

Using the method I had been doing before using the drop and drag method just didn't work out so well.

But it has a photo program on it and I need to learn more about that as well. But for now at least I got them where I want and need them and managed to organize them to some degree. LOL I use ribbet photo for editing picts which is a great free program to use.....

7 405
 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM
User Info
Win8 is like the Arko shavestick - you either loath it or love it. As for my experience with it, well:

My Better Half got a new laptop with Win8 for her upcoming online class... Three days trying - desperately - to make it work as she and I expect an OS to work; including installing Start8 and other software. Then we just bit the bullet and got a copy of Win7 to install on it instead... and everything works, including the device drivers and the touchscreen.

Basically, we found that Win8 is fine if you don't expect your new computer to behave like every Windows computer has sine '95. It's probably fine if you like a Tablet OS. It's not fine if you expect a consistent user experience across several PCs, or have trouble learning new stuff - and it's not the actual OS that's broken, but the Metro GUI. It takes away choices and things most users are taking for granted these days - like the ability to tile windows on top of each other.

There are some indications that even Microsoft admits that Win8 and Win8.1 was a step in the wrong direction... it does however fall into the pattern that every second OS from Microsoft is a dud (Win3.X was good, Win95 was buggy, Win98 was good, WinMe was a joke, WinXP was almost great, Win Vista was a hog, Win7 rocks, Win8 is disliked...).

3 3,577
 01-12-2014, 01:21 PM
User Info
Not much experience whatsoever with Windows, but the limited time I had, I just never enjoyed that operating system.
Haven't used anything other than Ubuntu/Linux for the past 15 years.
Best of luck with the new computer, Krissy. Smile

75 20,883
 01-13-2014, 10:34 PM
User Info
I recently bought my wife a win8 laptop. I think the OS is an absolute POJ. But my wife uses it to mostly play games and get onto the 'net and for her it works fine. I absolutely hate it. The computer itself is quite nice, but the OS leaves a great deal to be desired IMO.

I just ordered a new tower for myself and I got Win7 because of the love (or lack thereof) I have for Win8. I have to ask what was MS thinking!?

If I couldn't have gotten Win7 in the new computer I was seriously considering going to Apple and flipping off MS forever, but I have so much data in the old computer and no knowledge of how to get it over to a completely different platform.

Anyway the new computer has been built for me to my spec's and will be delivered on Wednesday.

Hans, please tell me more about installing Win7 on a computer that has win8 on it. Did you reformat the HD to do this or was going backwards to win7 as simple as just installing it? You have me eager to remove win8 from my wifes laptop and replace it with something useable (from my perspective). She won't notice the difference much except that when she asks me a question I won't tell her she needs to learn Windows8. :-)

FWIW, my present old clunker (12 years old? I can't believe it! But I think so.) is still using XP and the base of XP users is huge. But in a few months all support for XP will be nonexistent and MS is no longer writing code for it. Things should be very interesting as the base of XP users do what I'm doing. All I wanted was a faster computer using XP, but that's not possible now. Toward the end XP was working fine, but it's easier to buy a new faster computer than to clean up the old clunker even if XP was still going to be supported. Hence the new screaming fast machine.

I remember the old days (I absolutely loved DOS! It was a great upgrade from CPM. Yes, I know most are wondering what the heck I'm writing about.) when Windows was still unheard of but IBM and MS had a collaboration to build their GUI. That didn't last more than a few years and then MS came out with the first Windows OS. I actually liked the IBM/MS version, but I can't remember the name. It allowed me to use DOS with it, and it was an overlay to DOS if I remember correctly. That computer (IBM ps2 model 30) had 64k of RAM (WOW!) and 2 megs of paged memory brought in and out 64k at a time as needed. A 20 mb harddrive was big, and later I had 2 80mb HDs for a shareware business that I had. That computer is laughable today because of the hardware required to run todays bloatware. I compare that model 30 or the previous S100 bus computer (even more of a dinosaur) with the new machine and there is simply no comparison. If the old software could run on the new machine the new machine would be blindingly fast! Back then I did a lot of astronomical calculations of positioning and such and it took time; and I had a special NEC "math chip" installed (8086? It was years ago). That same software today would take no time at all. The old hardware used an 8 bit word at a slow clock speed, Win7 uses a 64 bit word and runs at the speed of light clock speed compared to the dinosaur. (Do I remember 4mhz clock speed?) :-) It makes me chuckle.

Those days are long gone along with the other dinosaurs. Win8 is still the pits though. What was MS thinking!? IMO it was a huge step backwards. When Win7 64bit is no longer supported, if MS hasn't done a headectomy from their posterior, at that time I'll move to Apple unless some other GUI OS has come forward. Hopefully that won't be for another 10 years and a few computer upgrades from now. MS has time to get it right.

32 6,309
 01-14-2014, 12:13 AM
User Info
Brian, getting Win7 on my Better Halfs laptop was... well... lets say that if I didn't love her I wouldn't done it, but rather sold the laptop at a loss Wink

Step zero is to google for "downgrade Win8 'laptop model'" and read up on the details of your wife's laptop, since it does differ somewhat between manufacturers. You should also make sure there are drivers available for Win7 - although for my Better Half's ultrabook the Win8 drivers works just as well under Win7...
Step one is to make a full restore disk on a USB stick, for use if/when you mess up and your wife makes you sleep on the coach until her laptop is alive again... just in case Tongue
Step two is to get into the BIOS and turn on legacy support - the 'new, more secure boot' seems designed to make it hard as possible... for me it involved turning off fast boot, turning off UEFI, rebooting, getting back in the BIOS and then turn on legacy support.. YMMV off course.
Step three was for me a straight forward Win7 installation, in which I nuked the Win8 partition on the drive - followed by a couple of hours of installing drivers and software. If your install media has the option for installing a UEFI-aware Win7, go for that.

Took a while, but the result was a much happier Better Half with a laptop she could use - definitely worth it Biggrin

3 3,577
 01-14-2014, 09:37 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I am about to replace my Mac desktop with another, as the hard drive is finally going. I must admit I truly dislike the Windows operating system. While my laptop is running Windows 7, what I don't understand about Windows 8 (and I admit I have not tried it) is why a touch screen? This isn't an iPad with no external keyboard where a touch screen serves a purpose. All I can see is having a constantly filthy screen and more time taken to lift one's hand off the keys and/or mouse to use the screen. I guess what I'm asking is exactly what purpose does the touch screen have that a mouse or strokes on the keyboard cannot accomplish?

2 11,211
 01-14-2014, 09:46 AM
User Info
freddy - can't you just change the hard drive?

7 1,625
 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
  • Alpha
  • Fatboy Slim
  • Central Wisconsin
User Info
When I first got Windows 8 I absolutely hated it. I've been using Windows pretty much since it's inception and think XP was the apex.

I downloaded Classic Shell on my laptop with 8 and life is much better now Biggrin

1 52
 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-14-2014, 09:46 AM)tonsorius Wrote: freddy - can't you just change the hard drive?

Yes Freddy, just change the hard drive. That is what we did with our MAC when the old hard drive finally crashed.

Before I retired my company computer ran the MS system. I will never again own another MS system computer. If they quit making MAC'S I will go back to the telephone/telegraph and stock up on stamps so I can write letters.

173 23,538
 01-14-2014, 11:19 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
My solution to Windows is Mac OS. Been a Mac user since 1996, and have never wanted to own a Windows Computer.

Mac might be a little more upfront, but they last longer and are supported much longer than most others. Just updated to Maverick and I couldn't be happier. I also have an Ubuntu Laptop that has been a real workhorse.

14 1,177
 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(01-14-2014, 11:17 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 09:46 AM)tonsorius Wrote: freddy - can't you just change the hard drive?

Yes Freddy, just change the hard drive. That is what we did with our MAC when the old hard drive finally crashed.

Thanks guys. I took the computer down to the Apple Store and it seems to be my graphics card. I ordered the new Mac, anyway, because so much new stuff is happening that I felt it would be easier to go with a learning curve now rather than 5 more years down the road.

However, I am also having the graphics card in my old machine replaced. That way I'll have a backup, I won't have to spend a lot to replace Microsoft Office as my current version will continue to work on my old machine, and when the back of my apartment turns very cold, and where there is no heat available, I will have a second machine where I can work comfortably.

I am to pick up everything within a week so until then I am stuck on my Windows 7 laptop, which I don't enjoy using. Windows just isn't my cup of tea.

2 11,211
 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
User Info
Wow Hans! That's an awful lot of hassle just to keep the old lady happy! I like my response to my wife better, "Study the tutorial.". I have enough to do.

It's not so much the computer OS I object to, but the user interface I have to work with. If the OS operates the hardware behind the curtains and works with me (the user interface part) while giving me the control I want I'll be a happy computer, err, computing person.

Classic shell has been downloaded. Thanks for the tip Alpha. Now it's up to the wife if she wants the change.

32 6,309
 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
User Info
I better not call her old Brian, she's ten years younger than me Tongue - and a hppy wife means a happy me Biggrin

It would been less of a issue if she didn't also have a desktop running Win7; but since she do, and it runs Win7, she sort of need a consistent interface and behaviour to keep things straight in her head. It's worth noting that if you're running Win8 Pro edition, downgrading is much, much easier and just requires a Win7 disk and key.

In short, it was a bit of a hassle, and somewhat frustrating.. but worth it Biggrin

3 3,577
 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
User Info
Classic Shell freeware download (and make sure to change its settings to skip the Metro screen), and I'm a happy camper on the work machine. Restores the Start button and dumps the Metro screen.

47 1,270
 01-14-2014, 11:41 PM
User Info
Hans, point well taken. I didn't mean your lady, but my old lady. Yeah, she robbed the cradle when she grabbed me.

I know what you mean about making momma happy, but after a few decades one realizes that it's all meaningless. It can simply never happen. The sexes are from different galaxies and no matter what we do they are completely alien as are their thought processes. We barely speak the same language. Can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em.

Thanks Tom... skip the Metro screen, noted. I've never even seen win7 so I might just use the shell myself once I power this new computer up. It's sitting next to me, but I have some business to attend to and get out before I spend time getting it up and running and the system fitted to me with e-mail acct's and such.

BTW, the new machine... I just couldn't help myself. I just had to peer under the hood and metaphorically "kick the tires". OK, the first S-100 bus computer I had, weighs without exaggeration, 50#, and that's mostly power supply (I still have the computer). Yup, that was when personal computers weren't everyday items and the folks who had them were nerds. It had a whopping 64k of total memory and each 12x4 RAM board had what, 16k on it? I can't remember the clock speed, but it was in the Mhz, not the Ghz. An absolute dinosaur; that's precisely why I hold onto it to this day. That's so foreign most folks don't even recognize it as a computer. Every computer I've had since ahs been lighter and lighter with less and less seen inside it.

My next computer had 64k of RAM but 2mb of paged RAM that could be called on and "paged" in. I was state of the art and had a 20mb HD on a board. Later 2 80mb (huge!) HDs and a USRobotics 19.2 kbps modem. It was a screamer! We used tranfer protocols back then to download files, xmodem was one I remember, there were others. The internet didn't exist, but folks maintained sites and we connected via the phone lines. CompuServe was also in existence back then (is it still?).

In contrast, this new screamer has 8gb of RAM and the chips and boards are miniscule (depending on cost I might fully populate the MB - it'll hold 16gb). The HD is 1tb and is smaller than a deck of cards. I remember 80mb HDs that weighed 5# and were 3"x5"x whatever depth. There is "nothing" in this CPU box. One huge honkin' heatsink with about a gazillion fins, and a fan, I assume on the CPU, but I can't see the processor to know, 2 fans to exhaust air from the box (one on the power supply, but it's ultimately vented outside the box), and another maybe on the graphics board (?- it's gotta be the GB- can't be anything else). To the eye the guts is mostly cooling system. I sure hope it's quiet. I'm guessing I'll need to blow out the heatsink and fans once a year. When I unboxed it I absolutely noticed that the front was mostly all air vents, hidden vents, but vents none the less, and I wondered about it. I eagerly anticipate turning the key on this new machine. In a few days that'll happen. I need to finish some stuff first, update my inbox file and then I'll be good to go. I hope it was worth my having Dell build it for me.

From what I saw of the guts in this machine I'd be willing to bet that they're almost working on the atomic scale in printing the chips. I simply cannot imagine it. All so that MS can design a POJ OS to run it. Maybe they need to shut down for a month, get out and force their people to contact the rest of the world to see how people actually work and think.

32 6,309
 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think you may be hoping for to much Brian with your last paragraph. Smile

173 23,538
 01-15-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
I'm a Linux guy, but I find Windows 8.1 to be a good operating system. It is still closed source, so it doesn't fit my preferences, but it is very usable.

I know some people are thrown off by the dual nature of the operating system, but I find it to be a pleasure to use. I prefer it to OSX.

37 1,731