User Info
The great razor rip off: Prices of blades soar by up to 99% in just three years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z1tQfnwrEM

0 475
 04-29-2012, 04:01 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I bought an Atra Handle and some Walmart Wlikinson Sword Blades the other day just to see what it was like. With the Atra cartridge, I got a fairly decent shave that lasted almost all day and was much better than the results I got with the Fusion or Mach 3.

116 3,804
 04-29-2012, 04:32 AM
User Info
The increase in price - and the fact that getting Sensor Excel cartridges gotten harder in my local stores - was a major reason why I changed to DE razors.

Just a shame I spend as much or more on razors, soaps and brushes as I ever did on cartridges before Biggrin

3 3,437
 04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Its amazing more cartridge shavers haven't got fed up yet.

45 3,955
 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-29-2012, 04:32 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Just a shame I spend as much or more on razors, soaps and brushes as I ever did on cartridges before Biggrin

Hans, true enough but if we all stripped down the cost of our daily shaving equipment, it does cost less than carts. It's the AD/Collector end of this nutty "hobby" that dooms our bank accounts! Undecided

35 2,703
 04-29-2012, 01:51 PM
User Info
IMO the Atra is probably the best of the bunch, then carts began going downhill and they began to look like a louvred door/window. That's where I got off of the cart ride (Atra). I still have 2 handles and a few carts just in case I fly, but they are in storage and not easily accessable.

I just don't understand the majority of the world. Or maybe I don't understand marketing. Can folks actually be taken in by the modern marketing crap? (Yeah I know supid question- it was rhetorical) With the internet so pervasive and information so easy to find, what's up with people accepting the marketing BS? I guess I don't understand the herd mentality of shaving. Lots of things in this world that I don't understand anymore, this is just another.

Folks in a hurry to forego a pleasure (shaving), to rush off to a potential pleasure (that just might turn out to be absolutely nothing). No, I don't get it. But I'm retired and maybe I've slowed down and now have time to smell the roses right in front of me instead of not having the time to go rushing off to smell the roses 50 miles away.

Take your time, do it right. If you liked it, repeat it. If you have time include something else.

What the hell do I know? BTDT. I don't do it anymore.

32 6,301
 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
More folks are not switching because basically they don't know any better. They think brushes, soaps, and DE razors are something the old folks use to use. Gillette has not advertised a DE razors in over 35-40 years. Everything is quick and easy for this in a hurry generation.

I've got bad news for them. The old world is spinning just like it has for thousands of years, your born, you die. Somewhere in between one should slow down long enough to enjoy a good shave. Makes for a better harmonious outcome.

173 23,287
 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM
User Info
The short of it is that Gillette gave people what they wanted. Long ago, folks got tired of shaving with DEs, cuts, nicks, handling blades, etc. So, the bell was answered.

But like most things in an evolving society, it's cyclical; like fashion. The problem is though, it works until it doesn't.

9 1,199
 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM
User Info
I get 'Atra\TracII' knock-off carts at the Dollar General 5 for a $1.25. They fit great on the Bumpfighter razor I bought for $5 at CVS. The knockoffs are made in Korea so I imagine they are Dorcos.

They shave fine whenever I am in a hurry and just need a socially acceptable shave.

All my Mach3 handles sit in a drawer, alone and unused. I've misplaced my old Sensor handle ( which I actually liked better than the M3).

0 252