01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Hello Friends!

I was perusing the Antiques store near my home and came upon two pucks of Ralph Lauren Safari Shave Soap NOS NIB so I bought them. The first ingredient is Sodium Tallowate, so I figured "what the heck"!.

I used one last night and had a pleasant shave, though the scent wasn't what I remember from the Cologne...perhaps it's the age, but the soap somehow seems more like Polo, and less like Safari than I remember.

I've seen them on ebay from Asia and such and have always been leery to buy since there is no way to know exactly what you are getting when you buy blind internationally. Overall I would buy it again.

The Puck is 100 grams dressed in parchment paper with a plain white inner cardboard box surrounded by the textured outer box. Quite a nice presentation if you ask me.

The lather was nice and creamy and the slickness was spot-on. I used it with a new L Injector and had a wonderful shave, except where I nicked myself due to bad angle (first shave with my new razor). The scent was fleeting...I had hoped it would be like my Aramis scented puck and linger a while, but alas, it faded after just a few minutes. I suppose that's the downfall of being wrapped in parchment, but the presentation is far better than even Penhaligon's.

I got a great buy, but paid more than if I had taken a chance on eBay, though I think I got a bargain. If those soaps offered on eBay are the same as what I got they would be a steal, IMO! To put it in perspective, these lather better than my current AoS Tallow Offerings and smell a whole lot better, too! They cost me about the same as the AoS soaps being offered presently on the forums, but no more than I expected to pay for NOS shave soaps.

Thanks and opinions are welcome!

Matt

68 1,416
 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM
User Info
I have a puck of this too, which I bought a while back on eBay, and my impression has been pretty much the same, although for me the scent was about the same strength as that of Aramis. It produces really excellent lather and has great skin care.

184 12,002
 01-14-2014, 01:47 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I just recently got one, and it was offered. Haven't tried it yet, though! Is is that good? I had only read average reviews so far.

25 4,636
 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I shaved again this morning with it and got much better lather and scent than last time...I suppose it's like cheese...the good stuff is below the surface.

I reminds me strongly of Polo Green, which is not really a bad thing...reminds me of college...lol I got a thick stable lather, and had enough lather in my Muhle V2 STF for 3 passes and a clean-up. I used a new (to me) Schick L type and got a great shave with a Shick blade...no nicks this time...I took more care on my chin than with the E type...

Even though I paid more at my Antiques place, I still think it was a good buy...heck the packaging alone was worth the money...lol It was a top-notch presentation for a cardboard box! i'll keep an eye out on Ebay for more, but I think these will last quite a while...

68 1,416
 01-16-2014, 02:43 PM
User Info
It is a nice soap with a nice scent. I also have a puck. Here's some photos:

[Image: p1030383.jpg]

[Image: p1030384h.jpg]

[Image: P1060700.jpg]

Enjoy it it in good health! Smile

2 5,527
 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great pics Emanuel!

91 17,829
 01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Safari is my 2nd favorite shave soap. I've got 4 pucks in my stash and 1 in my rotation. I've got the matching EdT to go with it.
Lovely slick lather with a scent that lasts longer than most.

42 1,757
 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-30-2014, 11:50 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Safari is my 2nd favorite shave soap. I've got 4 pucks in my stash and 1 in my rotation. I've got the matching EdT to go with it.
Lovely slick lather with a scent that lasts longer than most.
I picked up a puck of it on Ebay a little while ago and I must say it produces about the thickest, densest lather I've ever experienced. Whatever blade I use I get a more comfortable, closer shave with it that just about anything I've used. Ralph didn't skimp on quality when he put his name on this that's for sure.

5 2,006