01-15-2014, 06:52 PM
User Info
Ok --- I love my new DLC --- but no way in the world it is worth $265?!?!?! Or is it?

I put my max bid at $152 thinking I might win --- wow, was I way off!

Beauty, and value, is in the eye of the beholder.

Just thought Id share.

Good Evening.

JB

97 1,252
 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yep, I wanted it too for $80 Biggrin

88 4,233
 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
All the more reason for Ed Weber to end this madness, and reintroduce the DLC Weber!

102 17,670
 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM
User Info
(01-15-2014, 06:54 PM)Agravic Wrote: All the more reason for Ed Weber to end this madness, and reintroduce the DLC Weber!

At some point you have to ask yourself? Why not just raise the retail price to like $115-$125 if you are Weber and make the extra headache of OCD wet shavers who want to critique every little crackle and speck in the DLC coating??? At some point you have to realize the market can bear an increased, but reasonable price and tolerate the quality control issues. (Which are few and far between when you look at overall sales volume versus return rate)

97 1,252
 01-15-2014, 07:02 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I saw that. Pretty crazy!

27 860
 01-15-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
I watched it climb up to about 125 and then lost interest. It's just a razor, and the dlc can't improve the regular Weber head that much, right?

RIGHT? Oh man I should've made my bid higher.

2 87
 01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
Rarity makes for an expensive item. Same with the streamline and toggle.

Ed has made it clear on several occasions that the Polished head on a bulldog handle are the main concentrations for Weber razor. If you read the interview I did with him, he states that the whole razor gig is merely a hobby style AKA part time endeavor for him. Now I do not disagree that he would please the masses by re-releasing the DLC, but it was too much of a headache for him in general. He has also recently discontinued the Weber Wave handle due to a lack of interest.

63 2,128
 01-15-2014, 08:34 PM
User Info
I bought one from Weber when they were available. It's a very nice razor but not worth what people are paying for it.

15 762
 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
User Info
Sucker born every minute.

2 805
 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
User Info
(01-15-2014, 08:16 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Rarity makes for an expensive item. Same with the streamline and toggle.

Ed has made it clear on several occasions that the Polished head on a bulldog handle are the main concentrations for Weber razor. If you read the interview I did with him, he states that the whole razor gig is merely a hobby style AKA part time endeavor for him. Now I do not disagree that he would please the masses by re-releasing the DLC, but it was too much of a headache for him in general. He has also recently discontinued the Weber Wave handle due to a lack of interest.

* Exactly what he told me, also! He had too many complaints and returns from customers with the DLC and too many minor flaws in the coating at the point of production.
How, unfortunate, for us!!!

75 20,883
 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I recently sold my DLC for $75. Charging anything more seemed ridiculous to me because it's used and I didn't pay more than that new.

45 3,955
 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-15-2014, 08:48 PM)celestino Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 08:16 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Rarity makes for an expensive item. Same with the streamline and toggle.

* Exactly what he told me, also! He had too many complaints and returns from customers with the DLC and too many minor flaws in the coating at the point of production.
How, unfortunate, for us!!!

It only takes the actions of a few to spoil things for many ... Confused

102 17,670
 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
Personally I didn't care for it though Cool. Even got my hands on the DLC head a second time to be sure I was not too hasty in disposing the first one off. Nope, no change of opinion - was mild and not much different from a EJ89 to me. Same with the Polished head. Sleepy

Of course it is YMMV and seeing how many ardent fans of this razor there are, I sincerely wish Ed re-introduces it.

64 529
 01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(01-15-2014, 06:52 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: Ok --- I love my new DLC --- but no way in the world it is worth $265?!?!?! Or is it?

You think? I won't name the gentlemen but someone really really wanted my last DLC (I have traded a few for other stuff but never sold one) and I kept refusing because it was the only one I had left. He kept insisting and finally made me a offer I couldn't refuse. (it was more then the one on ebay btw).

Sure the DLC is a very fine razor but the difference with the PH is rather small (in my humble opinion) and I spend the money to upgrade the shock absorbers on my bike. What can I say, he is happy with it and I'm happy.

27 1,297
 01-15-2014, 11:39 PM
User Info
(01-15-2014, 09:57 PM)slr31 Wrote: Personally I didn't care for it though Cool. Even got my hands on the DLC head a second time to be sure I was not too hasty in disposing the first one off. Nope, no change of opinion - was mild and not much different from a EJ89 to me. Same with the Polished head. Sleepy

Of course it is YMMV and seeing how many ardent fans of this razor there are, I sincerely wish Ed re-introduces it.

Was there an older polished head? I just got a polished head version off their site and after first use i didn't think it was any more aggressive than my r89 but after two weeks of daily use with different blades i went back to my r89 and it was noticeably less aggressive. I also thought it was said in another thread that the DLC was less aggressive of the two.

11 829
 01-16-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
What exactly was wrong with the coating? I have seen pictures of it wearing away where the handle and bottom plate mate but that Is all
I know of. Poor Ed cannot seem to get a break.

0 295
 01-16-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
Ed mentioned that the coating was not going on evenly at the point of production and it was more trouble than what it was worth, I believe.

75 20,883
 01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
User Info
I find the DLC slightly milder and more comfy tham the polished, but it is a small margin.

Ed is a part time razor maker and he decided to keep things simple and concentrate exclusively on the polished head and bulldog handles. There were numerous complaints with coating issues (waviness and unneveness) and also a brief period of rust issues with a certain batch of ARC heads early on. The polished razors are wonderful pieces of hardware but the coated razors do offer something extra. I am very fortunate to own all three heads along with the now discontinued wave handle.

63 2,128