01-16-2014, 04:50 PM
User Info
I am looking to purchase a horse hair brush or synthetic brush. I am having a difficult time deciding which one to purchase. How are the Muhle Rytmos? I have also read that the Horse Hair ones can be a little harsh.

0 295
 01-16-2014, 05:47 PM
User Info
I have the Mühle VIVO which is the same knot as the RYTMO. I would recommend it well before a horsehair brush. Horse in my experience was very rough. Black Fibres are ultra soft.

31 7,914
 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
  • JRod22
  • Baltimore
User Info
In my small experience with horse hair, I felt it was a bit too much on the scritchy side for my liking. The Muhle STF I had was nice though. But didn't like the handle, the bottom ring always dug into my fingers.

0 49
 01-16-2014, 05:52 PM
User Info
Horse hair brushes can be soft like finest badger or harsh like pure. You really will not know until you have the specific brush in hand. I think that you should consider synthetic because the of the consistency factor that they have.

1 2,827
 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM
User Info
I've had very good luck with the Best Shave Horse. Have three of them and each is an excellent brush. And for under $5 can you really go wrong?

5 410
 01-16-2014, 06:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
A synthetic like the Muhle Black Fibre or the Plisson L'occitane.

There is not such think on my book like a "good horse hair brush"...and I'm from Spain , where most of those brushes are made.

86 7,123
 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I'm a big fan of Vie-Long horse hair brushes. From my experience, the softer ones are the natural white ones, which are 50/50 mix of tail and mane. My most recent one is G&C's butterscotch editions, a fan shape with a loft of 50mm, and it is a phenomenal brush Biggrin.

However, I think it will be hard to beat synthetic for softness, if that's what you're after.

29 1,581
 01-16-2014, 06:31 PM
  • JRod22
  • Baltimore
User Info
(01-16-2014, 06:23 PM)Teiste Wrote: A synthetic like the Muhle Black Fibre or the Plisson L'occitane.

There is not such think on my book like a "good horse hair brush"...and I'm from Spain , where most of those brushes are made.

Do you consider the Plisson L'occitane to be on the same level as the Muhle Black Fibre? I've been holding off for the Simpson's synthetics the GDC gave such great reviews on.

0 49
 01-16-2014, 06:33 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-16-2014, 06:31 PM)JRod22 Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 06:23 PM)Teiste Wrote: A synthetic like the Muhle Black Fibre or the Plisson L'occitane.

Do you consider the Plisson L'occitane to be on the same level as the Muhle Black Fibre? I've been holding off for the Simpson's synthetics the GDC gave such great reviews on.

I consider the Plisson L'occitane superior to the Muhle Black fibre.For me is pure luxury.Extra soft tips , and excellent flow and good backbone.

86 7,123
 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM
User Info
Teiste,
The above comment by you will most likely be costing me about $60 the next time I'm in our mall that has the L'Occitane store. I thank you while my wallet coughs in your general direction.

31 7,914
 01-16-2014, 08:33 PM
User Info
I have never encountered a 'soft' horse-hair brush. However, you may differ in opinion.
I would go with a synthetic from TGN or Whipped Dog if you want a very economical one. They are very soft and effective.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have owned two horse hair brushes. The dyed beehive was supposed to be soft but I found it very prickly when used for face lathering. It worked fine for bowl lathering and painting lather without irritation but that's not my preference. I recently picked up a white horse hair brush and this one is much softer and only gets prickly if I really mash it against my face which I don't do anyway. These vie long brushes can be very inexpensive and are worth trying at least once.

I have also owned five synthetic brushes as follows:
Body shop brush- soft tips but too springy.
Franks synthetic - see above
franks pur tech- softer tips and less springy. There is a large glue bump preventing it from splaying much. A remarkable improvement over the first two.
Muhle black fiber v2- not as soft or springy as the pur tech but a very nice brush especially for the price
Vintage bakelite nylon brush-the least soft but most natural feeling resiliency. A cool brush to use occasionally but a little too scritchy for everyday duty.

If all these brushes I would definitely choose the white horse as the best value. The vintage nylon would be amazing if the tips soften up with use. The black fiber would be my next recommendation followed closely by the purtech.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

127 2,390
 01-16-2014, 08:56 PM
User Info
I didn't have great experience with my Vie-Long horse hair (brown color loft-unbleached). After using it a few times, I started reading more and more threads trying to figure it out and better understand the characteristics. I had read that it would take for some people around 30 to 40 shaves/lathers to get broken in. I did resist selling it and pursued breaking it in and yes it did get much softer. My issues with it were the way it held water. I found that compared to many other brushes, boar, badger, syn., the lather broke down much faster and even when the lather was fresh, it didn't hold up in comparison.

If you are thinking of a cheaper synthetic brush to try before getting a more expensive, this was the one I got.

Omega 0146745 HI-BRUSH Synthetic Shaving Brush

It treated me well but got gifted to a friend who was in need of a low maintenance/travel brush. I did recently get a Muhle Rytmo, the darker wood one. I am extremely uncomfortable with the weight and balance. It is very bottom heavy and although it is incredible to look at, be careful buying if you have had issues with heavy brushes. If you don't mind a used one, (test lathered twice), I would sell you mine if you like.

Best of luck, I think synthetics are pretty nice and look forward to more companies releasing more in the near future.

Take Care and Cheers.

74 1,090
 01-17-2014, 07:02 AM
User Info
(01-16-2014, 08:33 PM)celestino Wrote: I have never encountered a 'soft' horse-hair brush. However, you may differ in opinion.
I would go with a synthetic from TGN or Whipped Dog if you want a very economical one. They are very soft and effective.
Good luck.

Thank you. Economical is key for me right now. Well it should be all the time. Biggrin Edit: 22 Bux at The Whipped Dog S&H included, NICE! Glad I do not have to fork over 55-70 bux for a decent Synthetic brush. Thank you Celstino!

0 295
 01-17-2014, 08:54 AM
User Info
(01-17-2014, 07:02 AM)BigMark Wrote: Thank you. Economical is key for me right now. Well it should be all the time. Biggrin Edit: 22 Bux at The Whipped Dog S&H included, NICE! Glad I do not have to fork over 55-70 bux for a decent Synthetic brush. Thank you Celstino!

* No worries and I hope you enjoy the brush. You don't need to use too much pressure to generate lather as with the natural hair brushes. Good luck. Smile

75 20,883
 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I used my white horse Vie Long again this morning and really focused on the feel of the brush. It definitely is rougher than most top-notch badgers (Whipped Dog Silvertip definitely included in that group), but less prickly/scritchy than the dyed horse, many boars, and some 2-band brushes (Semogue, Vie-Long, Plisson). The loft (~55mm) and relatively medium-low density may play a intricate part in this equation as the BG2012LE dyed horse brush I had was set at a lower loft and was a bit denser.

I would definitely recommend that Whipped Dog brush first, but if you wanted to expand your horizons down the line grab a Semogue boar, Gen 4 synthetic brush, and a Vie Long white horse hair brush and I think you will have the best of what is currently available in each category for not a lot of dough.

127 2,390
 01-18-2014, 11:22 AM
User Info
(01-16-2014, 04:50 PM)BigMark Wrote: I am looking to purchase a horse hair brush or synthetic brush. I am having a difficult time deciding which one to purchase.

Don't compare Horse hair with Synthetics.
Different kind of material,different attitude in lathering
Also depends from your skin if can stand in scratchy bristles or not.
Buy one good Synthetic as FS Pur-Tech and a 65/35 Vie-Long Horse hair and you will see after tests what's good for you.

0 353
 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM
User Info
(01-18-2014, 11:22 AM)Doryferon Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 04:50 PM)BigMark Wrote: I am looking to purchase a horse hair brush or synthetic brush. I am having a difficult time deciding which one to purchase.

Don't compare Horse hair with Synthetics.
Different kind of material,different attitude in lathering
Also depends from your skin if can stand in scratchy bristles or not.
Buy one good Synthetic as FS Pur-Tech and a 65/35 Vie-Long Horse hair and you will see after tests what's good for you.

The whole reason is because I am not fond of badger hair and and I consider boars unclean. Sorry if this came across wrong. I just want a brush that is ethically made.

0 295
 01-18-2014, 07:56 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Well you are definitely looking in the right direction in regards to ethics Smile...good choices.

You really can't go wrong with a synthetic. I find it very hard to fault them for anything to be honest...they just seem to do everything well. They meet a lot of criteria that others may not (ethics/religion/vegan, etc...).

If you have an interest in horse, at some point in your shaving career they're worth a try IMO. My latest brush that I mentioned in my post above is excellent. Very soft (but still can't touch a synthetic), great backbone, flow, makes and holds lather well. For the ~$30 or so I paid, it was well worth it. If you do decide to get one, and it happens to be Vie-Long, I'd recommend the natural white 50/50 mix...I found the 65/35 mix to be too harsh and not enjoyable (perhaps this is the one that generates most of the bad experiences?), but as always, YMMV. *A friend is currently borrowing the butterscotch one, but I do have another in my den right now that I'd be happy to send you to try. PM me if interested.

However, if you're looking to get one brush and value is key, Celestino gave great advice to go with a synthetic from TGN or WD. Synthetic seems to have far less complaints against it versus horse. As you can see from the responses in this thread, buying a horse brush seems to be a gamble where synthetic seems an all around safer bet.

Good luck in whatever brush you choose, and hopefully it gives you many happy shaves Biggrin!

29 1,581
 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM
User Info
Meh. Might get the Plisson now. That thing looks nice and then I shouldn't have to worry about a brush for a long time. Man I hate this.

0 295