01-18-2014, 09:02 AM
User Info
Does anyone know when Penhaligons stopped selling the wooden bowl with the classic "English Fern" engraving on the wooden lid? From my understanding, they now only have "Penhaligons" on the lid.

Michael

24 276
 01-18-2014, 09:21 AM
User Info
Michael, as far as I am aware, the inscription changed around 2009 when the reformulation away from tallow took place. The same bowl was kept, with only the inscription changing to "PENHALIGON'S".

31 4,957
 01-18-2014, 09:51 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
I believe now, they don't even sell the soap with the bowl anymore, just the refill. And I read somewhere (Can't remember) that they will be discontinuing the English Fern soap. Does anyone have the ingredients list for the last reformulation that actually produces some lather? I remember something about to do with the inscription. If it reads Penhaligon's on the soap, it is probably not good. If it reads the classic English Fern, it is the one that is actually good but not great. However I wanted to confirm the ingredients list to be sure before ordering one.

10 486
 01-18-2014, 09:58 AM
User Info
(01-18-2014, 09:51 AM)Fab Wrote: I believe now, they don't even sell the soap with the bowl anymore, just the refill. And I read somewhere (Can't remember) that they will be discontinuing the English Fern soap. Does anyone have the ingredients list for the last reformulation that actually produces some lather? I remember something about to do with the inscription. If it reads Penhaligon's on the soap, it is probably not good. If it reads the classic English Fern, it is the one that is actually good but not great. However I wanted to confirm the ingredients list to be sure before ordering one.
Sorry, I don't have the ingredients list, but you are correct in saying that the last formulation of EF carries the old tallow inscription "English Fern". All the previous duds simply carry the inscription "PENHALIGON'S" that was also on the bowl.
So long as it says "English Fern", you'll be OK. It's a pretty good soap.

31 4,957