01-18-2014, 11:03 AM
User Info
Hello All,

I have been following the Nook for quite some time and find it a fantastic resource for a fairly new (1 year) DE shaver. I have already accumulated 6 razors (Ikon Slant, OC, SB. Merkur HD and slant, EJ DE89) and 5 brushes.

I need help with a brush recommendation. I have a Tweezerman, Simpson Duke 2, Wee Scott, Parker Best and Silvertip. I find all except for the Tweezerman to be very loose? or floppy. I like the Tweezerman because it is firm and I can better control the lather on my face. I think that relates to the "backbone" of the brush? I am an exclusive bowl latherer (Captains Choice bowl).

I have been looking at the WSP brushes especially the large Stubby.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFQU...JE2HB797MN

Does this look like a good option or can someone recommend something better?

Thank you!

Sean

0 19
 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM
User Info
Sean, congrats on the year of experience and your fine gear. Yes, it sounds like you are referring to the brush's backbone (how much it pushes back on your face), but it also sounds you are referencing the "splay" (how much area the bristles fan out to cover).

While I think the WSP Stubby is certainly a fine brush, it will cover a larger surface area when lathering than any of your current brushes. To get the focused precision and backbone you are looking for, I would recommend the WSP Prince in two-band instead. It will have more backbone, density of hair and softness at the tips than any of your brushes and is a 22mm with lower loft (versus a 26mm for the Stubby).

If you will consider boar brushes with similar characteristics, take a look at the Semogue 620 and Omega 40033. These will have the backbone you want, but will take some uses before softening at the tips.

The newest synthetic knots can also achieve this magical combination of backbone with soft tips.

You could also achieve your dream with a custom brush. Bob of Elite Razor and Rudy Vey are active on this board and easy to reach, and you could also consider restoring an old handle with a knot from WSP, Shavemac or The Golden Nib.

47 1,270
 01-18-2014, 12:53 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
+1 on Toms custom reccomendation mayby try a TGN Finest knot for some backbone

115 1,692
 01-18-2014, 01:04 PM
User Info
+2 on Tom's recommendations! Best of luck.

75 20,883
 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM
User Info
kentclark,

Thank you so much for the advice. I just assumed that the Badger were the better brushes. I have ordered the Samogue 620 and the WSP. I will let you know how they work out.

Sean

0 19
 01-21-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
Sounds great, I hope you enjoy both brushes!

191 1,552
 01-21-2014, 07:24 PM
User Info
(01-21-2014, 02:21 PM)Str8player Wrote: kentclark,

Thank you so much for the advice. I just assumed that the Badger were the better brushes. I have ordered the Semogue 620 and the WSP. I will let you know how they work out.

Sean

Sean, those are truly some great brushes that will create lather even from the stingiest soaps. My opinion is that they are a big step up from your current brushes, even the Duke 2. I noted again that you are a bowl latherer but that you use a shallow bowl so these brushes should have enough handle length for you to lather comfortably. Generally, face-lathering shavers prefer the strong backbone brushes (and these two do shine at face lathering), so you might try that method out someday when you feel acquainted with the brushes and see how it works for you.

The WSP will relax a tad after several uses, and the Semogue will take around two dozen good lather, rinse and dry cycles before it breaks in...and it will just keep getting better. You will be able to tell visually that the Semogue is breaking in by the fanning out of the bristle at rest and the splitting of the tips of the bristles when you look up close.

Please do check back in your thread and let us know how they work out for you. Happy Shaves!

47 1,270
 01-22-2014, 06:31 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've bought and sold countless brushes. I've owned badger, boar, badger and boar mixed, horse, and synthetic. Currently I've settled 11 Semogues and one Simpson Best. I too prefer a stiffer backbone. I think the 620 is a great choice. The 620 is my newest Semogue addition and I think it is already my favorite boar. It has great backbone but it holds and releases lather well. Boar brushes do require a break in period but the 620 was good out of the box. Be patient with it because it will only be better. There are several threads on the forum giving advice on breaking in boar. Also, you might consider soaking your 620 prior to each shave. I typically soak mine for approximately five minutes in warm water just prior to shaving. You can adjust the level of backbone by soaking shorter or longer. Do not submerge the whole brush. Fill a coffee cup and set brush with the knot (Hair) on bottom. The water should only cover 50 to 75 percent of the hair. If I had to choose one brush it would be the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger. It has great backbone but holds a good amount of lather and releases great. It has just a little scritch which I like. Based on the information you have given it seems like a badger you might want to consider at some point. If you end up liking boar there is also the Semogue Special Edition 2012 which is a mix of boar and badger to consider.

45 3,955
 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM
User Info
I have a semouge. 2012 LE and it is a good brush with a nice backbone. Great for soaps . I also have a whippeddog silvertip set at a 47 mm lift with a 24 mm knot that works well.

17 325
 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
+1 on the Omega 40033 (Mighty Midget Wide Waist). Heart that brush!!!

1 239
 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM
User Info
Good things said around here Sean in regards the WSP brushes, might be worth diving in.

Happy hunting.

1 630
 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM
User Info
Hi Everyone,

I have been shaving for about a year now with my EJ DE89 and I love it. When I bought my first set I also got an EJ Best Bagger brush which I am also still currently using.

Now that I've been doing it for a while id like to splurge and get a good silvertip brush. My preference is something very soft and allows me to creates a good lather with both soaps and creams. I've looked at the Parker silvertip and for some reason for the price it doesn't really seem any softer than my current best bagger. Am I mistaken to think silvertip is much softer than best bagger?

Also, to make things more complicated my current DL razor is black and chrome so I'm looking for a brush that will match. I have looked at the Baxter of California but I'm not convinced that is what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

0 4
 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM
User Info
Sean, I agree they are a bit floppy. I currently have a Parker best boar brush (with chrome handle accent) but am thinking of getting the semogue boar brush just because it's stiffer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0 35
 01-30-2014, 05:44 PM
User Info
Can someone comment on the difference between the Semogue 620 and 830? They appear to be the same basic brush and platform ( acrylic handle, two tone), with the loft being the only difference I can tell. True?

0 303
 01-30-2014, 06:51 PM
User Info
The 830 uses Premium Boar 90% tops and the 620 uses Extra Boar 75% tops. Also, the loft on the 830 is 55mm and the 620 is 50mm. If you like the shorter loft of the 620 then look at the 610 as it uses Best Boar 90% tops

0 16
 01-30-2014, 09:22 PM
User Info
(01-30-2014, 03:54 PM)pastoredesigns Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I have been shaving for about a year now with my EJ DE89 and I love it. When I bought my first set I also got an EJ Best Bagger brush which I am also still currently using.

Now that I've been doing it for a while id like to splurge and get a good silvertip brush. My preference is something very soft and allows me to creates a good lather with both soaps and creams. I've looked at the Parker silvertip and for some reason for the price it doesn't really seem any softer than my current best bagger. Am I mistaken to think silvertip is much softer than best bagger?

Also, to make things more complicated my current DL razor is black and chrome so I'm looking for a brush that will match. I have looked at the Baxter of California but I'm not convinced that is what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Mike, welcome to the forum! Congratulations on one year of traditional wetshaving.

Yes, silvertip has a softer feel than best badger.

Compared to your EJ Best Badger, what are you looking for in terms of density of hair, backbone (how much a knot pushes back and resists splaying out) and size of knot (a factor in how big the footprint is on your face)? Perhaps most importantly: how much do you want to spend? Is there anything that has caught your eye in your search?

47 1,270
 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM
User Info
Thanks for the reply Tom.

I like a brush that has some real give to it. I'm not a big fan of the stiffer backboned brushes and I usually lather in a fairly deep bowl, I never face lather. The brush that I was considering is the Silver Tip by Baxter of California. Any thoughts on this brush?

http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/baxter...have-brush

0 4
 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
User Info
I cant stand my tweezerman brush...especially after using my Omega pro 49 today for the first time.

Tweezerman is small in my hands and pretty scritchy for a 'badger.' The Omega is soft yet firm, and it's big. Good for bowl lathering. The stink is rather offputting but I've heard it's worth putting up with once it breaks in.

3 153
 01-31-2014, 04:21 PM
User Info
(01-31-2014, 11:23 AM)pastoredesigns Wrote: Thanks for the reply Tom.

I like a brush that has some real give to it. I'm not a big fan of the stiffer backboned brushes and I usually lather in a fairly deep bowl, I never face lather. The brush that I was considering is the Silver Tip by Baxter of California. Any thoughts on this brush?

http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/baxter...have-brush

Looks like a brush made by Muhle so the knot should work well, but I don't think the handle will have the length you may want for a deep bowl.

To start a discussion focused on your brush search, start a thread in the brush forum. And introduce yourself, if you like, in the Introductions forum so everyone can meet you!

47 1,270
 01-31-2014, 07:08 PM
User Info
(01-30-2014, 06:51 PM)Brakelmon Wrote: The 830 uses Premium Boar 90% tops and the 620 uses Extra Boar 75% tops. Also, the loft on the 830 is 55mm and the 620 is 50mm. If you like the shorter loft of the 620 then look at the 610 as it uses Best Boar 90% tops

Hm. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks for the response.

0 303