01-18-2014, 11:56 AM
User Info
I hesitated writing this post because everyone has their own opinion when it comes to brushes. I just thought that the SOC is probably recommended more than any other brush when people post the "recommend me a boar..." threads. I have never read a bad thing about the SOC.

I do love Semogues. I loved my Finest 1 bristle, my 1460, my 610, the 620 and even the new Italian Barber LE I recently acquired.

However, I just don't love the SOC. Had one, sold it and recently purchased another one after reading all the love. I find it slightly unwieldy and sloppy.

Is there anyone who agrees with me?

32 342
 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
Hmm, until you mentioned the IB LE, I was thinking you might be better suited with the lower-lofts Semogues. Maybe the additional loft PLUS the larger knot is over the top for you.

I will say that the SOC is one of the Semogue boars I'm holding unto after trying out essentially the whole line, and I needed about a dozen uses to really warm up to it. Keepers for me also are the 1800 and BC Cerda.

You might try soaking only the very tips to downplay the splay. Happy shaves!

47 1,270
 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM
User Info
Yes! I never liked it, myself when I was using boars for the exact same reasons. Blush

75 20,883
 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
What I notice is the high density on the Semogue's I'm breaking in. IB version and the 1250 usually give me 2 good passes, and they are full of bristle. Now that big old honking Omega 48 that wraps half my face in Pig, unbelievable with it's balance. The other smaller plain wood Omega is good too. I have a SOC and the Cerda from Vintage Scents that I haven't opened up since they arrived last week, and I'm gonna wait until these other 4 boars that I'm playing with give me direction. However if the SOC and BC Cerda trend towards the Semogue's in my repertoire now, they may not get a lot of use.

19 700
 01-18-2014, 01:36 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
For me it's a little too large. It's a good brush and the 2000 is as well but I prefer the 1800, 1438, and 1305.

45 3,955
 01-18-2014, 02:13 PM
  • minimalist
  • Florida / North Carolina
User Info
I purchased one and it gets very little use. I prefer my Simpson Duke 3 or Rooney Style 1 Size 2. The cherry handle is substantial and hefty...I like that,,,the knot,,,not so much

19 712
 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I don't know, when it comes to boar I strongly prefer Omegas. Their handles aren't the best but their knots are.

6 2,006
 01-18-2014, 02:33 PM
User Info
I love semogue and I love boar. I do tend to lean toward the shorter lofts. Just something about the soc rubs me wrong.
Interesting to read others thoughts. Biggrin

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 342
 01-18-2014, 02:47 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I recognize that this brush is an excellent boar brush, considered by many to rank toward the top of boars, but I too have found the SOC is not for me. The quality is outstanding but the handle is too big for my taste, and the knot is a little too wild for me and I don't even think mine is fully broken in yet. I enjoyed my 620 more...but at this time I also decided boars in general just aren't for me Sad.

I gave them to old college try, as I thought they offer phenomenal value, but the reality is I have too many other brushes in my den that leave my boars unused. My SOC will be going up for sale sometime soon...

29 1,581
 01-18-2014, 02:50 PM
User Info
If you ever want to Part with it I have a Penworks/TGN 28 F2 Band Finest Badger I'd swap for it.

3 83
 01-18-2014, 03:37 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find it - and the 2000 - a bit too big, particularly the 2000, but they're ok. The 1250 is great for me. And the smaller blonde 1470. Such a cheap brush, too. My favourite boar tips are on the Vulfix Hyde Park though. Luxurious and luxuriant Smile ...amazingly creamy and soft....

0 1,625
 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
It seems like a pretty big brush to me as well. Up until recently I've always gotten by with a single Burma Shave brush, small-ish but nice an' firm. But just this week I got an Omega 40033 and though it's early days still I'm really liking it. The handle feels a bit small at first but I don't think it'll be a problem. Seems like an extremely good brush for the $$.

0 567
 01-18-2014, 05:36 PM
User Info
Been thinking and does anyone know if one of the "brush guys" could remove the knot and reset it at a shorter loft in the same handle? I'm thinking it would have to be reset in a new handle but I don't know much. Huh

32 342
 01-18-2014, 11:00 PM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
You're not alone, I have one that I don't care for. While I love the handle and don't mind the loft, my version is just too prickly, even after a year of use. Bye Bye SOC.

3 68
 01-19-2014, 04:26 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Me, on the other hand, love it. Actually, it is the ONLY boar brush I use in my rotation! Biggrin

25 4,640
 01-19-2014, 05:48 AM
User Info
(01-18-2014, 11:00 PM)steve g Wrote: You're not alone, I have one that I don't care for. While I love the handle and don't mind the loft, my version is just too prickly, even after a year of use. Bye Bye SOC.

In surprised it feels prickly after that long! If anything, I find the higher lifted semogue brushes to be almost too soft.

I guess everyone has different tastes....obviously.

32 342
 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
(01-19-2014, 05:48 AM)fbones24 Wrote:
(01-18-2014, 11:00 PM)steve g Wrote: You're not alone, I have one that I don't care for. While I love the handle and don't mind the loft, my version is just too prickly, even after a year of use. Bye Bye SOC.

In surprised it feels prickly after that long! If anything, I find the higher lifted semogue brushes to be almost too soft.

I guess everyone has different tastes....obviously.

I think I might have a bum one, I have two other Semogue boars that I love (plus a SOC 2 band and a mixtura both top notch) the SOC just never really felt broken in, because of my experiences with quality products from Semogue I might buy another one to see if the current brush is a fluke. It's a natural hair product, I figure a bad one will make it through the filter occasionally.

3 68
 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
  • JRod22
  • Baltimore
User Info
Fun thread to read. When I first started I bought an 830 and never really liked it much. Ended up trading it for a badger brush. But later, I bought the Italian Barber LE and really enjoy it. I think that's why they make so many different brushes. Everyone has different preferences. There are so many variables that change the feel its impossible for every brush they make to feel good to you. I don't believe Semogue would take offense to you preferring a different model. Your favorite soap maker probably makes scents you don't care for either.

If drive and love a Honda Civic, that doesn't mean you'll love the Honda Odyssey.

Like I said, interesting read.

0 49
 01-25-2014, 08:48 AM
User Info
I love my SOC Boar with a loft of 55 mm. Firstly the cream remains about a 1/4 of the way down the brush without running down the side of the handle, and I also can get enough for three passes. For me smaller loft brushes are a wee bit on the messy side! This of course is just my opinion and everyone has their own preference.
Jimmy

0 475
 01-26-2014, 10:03 AM
User Info
(01-18-2014, 11:56 AM)fbones24 Wrote: However, I just don't love the SOC.
Is there anyone who agrees with me?

You are not the only one with "issues" with his SOC
I have some Boars and this is my best so far but nothing "exciting" about this brush.
No matter how i load it has not enough lather for a third pass
With other brushes i haven't that problem.

0 353