04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
User Info
Hello everyone. I hope this hasn't been asked multiple times, but I didn't find a specific answer. What is the main difference between SE and DE razors? I know that one has two sides and the other only a single edge Rolleyes, but why would anyone use the SE over the DE? I've been using a DE since November, and I was just wondering. I really like the DE, a lot. I have a EJ D89, and it gives me wonderful, smooth shaves. I have also just ordered a Weber. I like the idea of stainless and the Weber has so many great reviews, I had to treat myself. But, I see that many users, here, are big fans of the SE. I get the idea that SE's are perhaps a much more aggressive razor than the DE? I guess I'm just wondering if I need to give one a try. You know, not that I'm getting obsessed with razors, or anything...

0 33
 04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
User Info
The difference is primarily the blade itself, not the razor per se. Yes one has 2 edges while the other has just the one, but the important difference IMO here is the thickness and stiffness of the blade. DE blades are just steel ribbon that can flex very easily while the SE blade will have very little, if any, flex. I won't get into which is sharper as I honestly have no idea. I will explain why I prefer the stiffer SE blade over the flexible steel DE.

My skin is not necessarily sensitive, but I do tend to have capillaries that are close to the surface. This makes me prone to irritation and weepers. Couple this with a thick and coarse beard and you have a recipe for disaster when it comes to shaving. Yes, my stubble actually jammed up an electric razor and trust me, it didn't feel good! When I use a DE, especially with the sharper blades, I tend to get TONS of weepers even in the easy to shave areas. This is nonexistent with SEs. I believe that as the DE blade meets with so much resistance when it tries to cut my stubble that it begins to vibrate thus making it very likely for it to jump up and bite resulting in weepers. The SE blade stiffness prevents this vibration so I get zero weepers with them. The only time I can use a DE is if I'm using a Slant bar. The slant bar will torque the blade giving it more stiffness and thus making it more resistant to vibration. This leads to smooth shaves with less weepers for me.

I have no idea if my thoughts on this matter hold any scientific accuracy but that is my shaving situation and how I've tried to logically explain it. Now I just know what works and what doesn't. Now if I could just find someone to make me an adjustable SE slant bar!

31 7,912
 04-29-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
(04-29-2012, 01:17 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: (...)
The SE blade stiffness prevents this vibration so I get zero weepers with them. The only time I can use a DE is if I'm using a Slant bar. The slant bar will torque the blade giving it more stiffness and thus making it more resistant to vibration. This leads to smooth shaves with less weepers for me.

(...)

Does anybody remember this comercial ?

0 68
 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
(04-29-2012, 01:53 PM)Tony SC Wrote:
(04-29-2012, 01:17 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: (...)
The SE blade stiffness prevents this vibration so I get zero weepers with them. The only time I can use a DE is if I'm using a Slant bar. The slant bar will torque the blade giving it more stiffness and thus making it more resistant to vibration. This leads to smooth shaves with less weepers for me.

(...)

Does anybody remember this comercial ?

Awesome! Though I doubt it's from how tight the blade is held by the razor. Injector blades are stiff like the larger SE blades. I may have to try this with a OCMM & the Sledgehammer Slant!

31 7,912
 04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Pretty much what Brian said. To me the stiffness of the blade helps me to get a better shave with less opportunity to cut myself. Don't get me wrong, an SE injector blade is sharp and if you're not careful it will be more than happy to take a piece out of you.

The injector is pretty much set at a fixed angle and if you follow instructions you get a great shave without trying to figure out what angle is best depending on what razor or blade you use.

Remember a straight razor is a stiff blade and designed to cut at the optimum angle. Schick just tried to do this with a razor.

An injectors blades will usually last a minimum of 7 shaves and they are relative inexpensive and easy to purchase from multiple locations.

But when you get right down to it, it's one of those personal things. I get more cuts by accident with a DE than I do with an injector on purpose.

Tony, nice video. I remember that commercial.

173 23,493
 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM
User Info
I love shaving with my E1 Schick and I believe it's the most aggressive schick available (correct me if I'm wrong; maybe the Revere is more aggressive). I just wish it was a tiny bit more aggressive.

Still, like Brian and Johnny says, it's difficult to get a bad shave from an injector.

9 1,199
 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM
User Info
I have never seen that commercial, but I agree with BrianSS, that it's the blade stiffness.

BTW OAG, good question. I don't know that I've ever seen it before, and it's an obvious question.

SE shaves significantly different. They can be much more aggressive, but that's true for aggressive DE razors as well. They never get milder than a step or two up the DE "ladder" (1-10 being the ladder, 1 being a DE Tech) IMO. That might be what you mean by more aggressive.

OK, the most aggressive SE razor I can imagine is my Kampfe 1914 SE lather Catcher. I love aggressive razors and for me this was something very special indeed. Despite the aggressiveness of it I never felt the blade flexing. I also love the DE Muhle 2011 R41, It's another razor on the edge of being maybe too aggressive. It could be debated, but it very well may be the most aggressive commonly available DE razor made today. The first time I used it on my face I had doubts whether I wanted to continue because I could feel the blade flexing on my skin. SE and DE just work differently, DE flexes and that can be unnerving, SE doesn't.

You would think that SE blades would have 1/2 the life of DE blades, correct? But that isn't my experience. I'm lucky to get 7 shaves out of my best DE blades. With SE I can get an easy 14 shaves w/o pushing them at all and that's with my most aggressive SE razors. Is it the lack of flex? The sharper angle that cuts the whisker rather scraping it? I have no idea. They just work differently and SE blades give me lots more shaves before I can them.

One advantage of SE IMO is that since the blade selection is less, and the blades are so good, that there is less testing required. Basically, use a GEM blade and you have the best there is, and that really is very good. And I am an extremely differentiating tester when it comes to blades. What we have today for SE blades really requires little testing. There are maybe 6 SE blades made for shaving, and GEM SS and CS are the 2 best IMO. There are hardware store blades designed for scraping window glass- don't use those.

Compare that with DE. I use DE and SE and I can't choose one over the other. I like them both for different reasons and get fantastic shaves from either one. But DE blades offer so many choices and so many of them are just OK or crap compared to the really good ones. I've been testing DE blades for more than a year and there are a handful that IMO are really good, a whole lot that are OK, and a very few that are garbage. No matter how much testing I did for me, it's only valid for me. You need to test DE blades to find your best blades. Good luck with that. I was involved in testing as a profession and even at the end (almost!!) of my testing regimen of DE blades I've had far more than enough of blade testing. But to get the most out of DE razors you need to test the blades IMO. We can "tell" you what you should try, but in the end all we're doing is suggesting a crap shoot for you. It's your skin, your razor, your hand and your technique and all are part of the equation.

Where I'm going with this is that the "lack" of blade options for SE blades has been touted as a negative. What is ignored is that the best have survived. Basically the testing has been done and what has survived is what's available. The 2 I mentioned are the absolute cream IMO and in many other SE users opinion.

If that doesn't answer your question, or even if it does, we're here to answer more.

I hope it helped.

32 6,308
 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Randy, the Revere is no more aggressive than an I1, J1, or one of the M series razors. Actually, the Revere is just an M with a silver handle.

The E1 and E2 are the most aggressive, followed by the E3, G series, and the I2 Hydro-magic.

173 23,493
 04-29-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
Thanks, Johnny.

9 1,199
 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
The observations in the foregoing posts seem to make sense. A stiffer/thicker blade just works better in my experience.

My razor of choice is the Schick E2 injector, which gives consistent close, comfortable shaves.

I also get from 7-10 shaves from a single injector blade.

0 1,377
 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
  • Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
User Info
What is the best place to get SE in addition to eBay? I just would like to try.

7 147
 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
(04-29-2012, 06:37 PM)pooking Wrote: What is the best place to get SE in addition to eBay? I just would like to try.

Antique shops tend to have a good many, but you can avoid ebay, etsy and shops and buy one of mine. LOL
You won't find a better price for a nice SE. Click on my photobucket link, everything in there is for sale. I'll even toss in a pack of Gem blades.

I'm not someone that looks to make a profit. I bought all of them to try them and now they're no longer used. I only ask for what I paid for them and I'm a professional haggler.

BTW, I don't list items in any BST, I wait for someone to make a request. I'm also lazy and don't feel like describing items, linking pics, etc... If this against any rules, mods just let me know.

9 451
 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
User Info
(04-29-2012, 06:37 PM)pooking Wrote: What is the best place to get SE in addition to eBay? I just would like to try.

No need to buy one. I'll send you a SE razor free, with a few blades. Just PM me your full name and shipping address.

183 12,002
 04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
Well done John! Clap

32 6,308
 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
(04-29-2012, 07:55 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well done John! Clap

+1 You are an amazingly kind gentleman, John!

75 20,883
 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
John steps up to the plate again. Very good of you sir.

173 23,493
 04-30-2012, 03:02 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. That was a big help. Interesting how shaving has come full circle. I may have to try an SE, at some point, but I think I may stick with DE's, for now. I'm lucky enough to have an easily manageable beard, and the DE's have been awesome. Funny, I used to carry a beard, most of the time, but now I can't wait until my next shave. I never actually thought about the blade "flexing" on my face. Thanks, again, hope everyone has a great week.

Kevin

0 33
 04-30-2012, 09:12 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
  • Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
User Info
(04-29-2012, 07:12 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:

No need to buy one. I'll send you a SE razor free, with a few blades. Just PM me your full name and shipping address.

Thank you very much. PM sent.

7 147
 04-30-2012, 09:37 AM
User Info
(04-30-2012, 09:12 AM)pooking Wrote: Thank you very much. PM sent.

An Ever-Ready and some blades are in the mail. Enjoy.

183 12,002
 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
(04-30-2012, 09:37 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(04-30-2012, 09:12 AM)pooking Wrote: Thank you very much. PM sent.

An Ever-Ready and some blades are in the mail. Enjoy.

wOw! That is awesome! I want to get a few months in on my DE before I try SE, but reading some of the above is certainly food for thought.

~Frank

18 271