01-19-2014, 08:32 AM
User Info
I've been wet shaving for over 3 years now, but until recently I haven't been that serious.

It started simple with an EJ89, Parker Best Badger, T&H Cream, and a variety pack of blades. Soon my collection expanded (mostly through the BST section of this site) to an army of soap, a vast collection of razors (37c slant, Fatip Grande, Futur, Gillette Redtip, Ever Ready 1912, etc.) and garden of brushes which is crowned by a Kent Bk8 that was happily purchased via one of our community members and stands proud in its gleaming red case. A fine brush that Bk8 is...indeed.

That was until I started using a Semogue 1305. Originally part of my rotation I found myself using it more and more...and more, until there really wasn't a rotation anymore, it was just 1305. During my shave yesterday I deliberately put the Semogue away and prepped the Kent (I paid a lot of money for this brush and I was going to use!) It lathered supremely (as all brushes of this quality do) and it felt like "using a cloud," a term a lot of people projected to me upon learning of my purchase of the Kent. A fine brush but... I was really craving the crunchy, angry, backbone and bristles of my 1305. The Kent knew I was just going through the motions with it, that while using it I was actually visualizing a green and white handle with a faux dyed stripe across the hair.

When finished I smiled and said "great shave" under my breath, but it was hollow a vapid demonstration of chivalry. I dried and cleaned the Kent, laid it carefully into its box and placed it back, at the prime spot of my brush collection. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the 1305...and I felt ashamed.

It was at this point in time I accepted that I'm boar guy.

P.S. I do have a Vie-long Horsehair for which I have no feelings for whatsoever (as I imagine most of us do), I may convert it to a talc brush.

0 20
 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I went through that very stage but am eagerly going back to badger and some synthetics. Although the badger/boar mix that Semogue makes is very nice.

Nice story.

175 23,752
 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Same here. Went headlong into badger for almost 2 years, and now am discovering the delights of boar. I'm keeping badgers in the rotation so as to really delve into the nuances between the critters. So far boar is a bit higher in my brush food chain, and I still want to feed myself badger, escpecially my Plisson 2 band and Vie Long Flat Top (exquisitly soft tips!)

19 726
 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Feel no shame in embracing the boar says I. That Kent'll likely feel quite content in it's own company (for the time being, at least!). Biggrin

I've always been a single boar brush sort of guy myself, but I've recently purchased a couple of new boars and I'm currently really enjoying the Omega 40033 - mighty midget indeed! I love that wee thang...Badger

0 567
 01-19-2014, 11:36 AM
User Info
Congratulations on enjoying the Semogue! Now, you should try more of their brushes. Smile

82 21,056
 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm primarily a Semogue Boar guy myself. I do love the SOC 2 Band and Semogue's Boar/Badger mixes too.

45 3,955
 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM
User Info
(01-19-2014, 08:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: I went through that very stage but am eagerly going back to badger and some synthetics. Although the badger/boar mix that Semogue makes is very nice.

Nice story.
Johnny, how did I miss this? Your piggy icon has been devoured by the happy badger and you speak of your beloved boars as a phase. Wow!

67 2,164
 01-19-2014, 05:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-19-2014, 04:36 PM)cessnabird Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 08:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: I went through that very stage but am eagerly going back to badger and some synthetics. Although the badger/boar mix that Semogue makes is very nice.

Nice story.
Johnny, how did I miss this? Your piggy icon has been devoured by the happy badger and you speak of your beloved boars as a phase. Wow!

The future is not what it used to be ! Biggrin

Interesting.i think we all have passed by some phases like that . at some stage or another , after trying brushes , creams , soaps and so on.

I started being a boar guy and only using sticks.

Now its all about synthetics and creams.

If you like the 1305 , the 1800 and the 1250 would be a great addition to your collection of Semogue boar ones.

88 7,214
 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Enjoy your boar fascination. I tried many Semogue boars including the 1305, but have found that Omega boars are more my thing. I love Semogue design and quality, but their boars don't do as much for me as their mixed loft brushes like SOC SE and BC Mistura. I also like the 1800 boar well enough, but to me the perfect boar brush is B&B Essentials Boar by Omega. My Semogue BC Cerda has had one shave and is still waiting to be "discovered" by me.

26 1,736
 01-23-2014, 02:24 PM
User Info
I have had a couple boars. One is a semouge. But I love best badger hair as well. Both do great on my hard soaps.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

0 63
 01-26-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
I just started within the last few months and am using the same starter tools which you did (ej de89, Parker best badger) and am now looking into the semogue's. The Parker is nice but just too floppy for me. The 1305 looks like its gonna be my next investment.

0 35