01-19-2014, 11:33 AM
User Info
Yesterday was ML's birthday. We are celebrating today when freinds and family can join us.

ML is not big on cake. So I baked her a cranberry apple pie. Her favorite.
[Image: FTCECKg.jpg]

Since this is The Ink Well I should discuss pens.
I ordered her a Platignum Studio fountain pen. Mother Nature and the USPS conspired against me and it did not arrive when promised Blush

This is an affordable pen from a British company. Here is a stock photo.
[Image: SU5RQaF.jpg]

Yes I selected the blue pen. Biggrin

It comes in a cool Union Jack box.
[Image: dlte858.jpg]

The weird/amusing (not meant in a derogatory way - I don't know his name) British youtube pen reviewer liked this pen. But ML will have to wait until Tuesday to see for herself.

In keeping with the British theme I also purchased a bottle of Diamine Turquoise ink made in the UK. The Diamine inks are a favorite brand of both of us.

Phil

7 363
 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
User Info
Well, done, Phil! I hope your wife has a grand birthday and that she enjoys the new pen! Smile

82 21,056
 01-19-2014, 12:37 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Been wondering about this brand. Can't wait to hear her thoughts.

Happy Birthday...

18 1,186
 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I hope Mary Lou really likes it so let us know. Smile

I assume you are speaking of SBRE Brown. While he has a wealth of information and I do watch many of his videos I have to admit that I find his style of presentation palling after a while. By the way, I think I read on The Fountain Pen Network that he is Dutch (English father) and lives in the Netherlands.

2 11,211
 01-19-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
(01-19-2014, 02:31 PM)freddy Wrote: I hope Mary Lou really likes it so let us know. Smile

I assume you are speaking of SBRE Brown. While he has a wealth of information and I do watch many of his videos I have to admit that I find his style of presentation palling after a while. By the way, I think I read on The Fountain Pen Network that he is Dutch

Freddy,
That is the guy I was talking about. And that is the video review I was referencing as well. Thanks for the link. I am new to fountain pens relatively. So I still find him amusing. In your vid he calls the white Studio pen a Stormtrooper pen. Cracked me up.

You are right about the Netherlands. His facebook account ends in "dotNL"which means his domain is in the Netherlands.

Hopefully the pen will be here Tuesday and ML can post a review.
gotta go. It is time for pieBiggrin

7 363
 01-19-2014, 05:01 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-19-2014, 04:22 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 02:31 PM)freddy Wrote: I hope Mary Lou really likes it so let us know. Smile

I assume you are speaking of SBRE Brown. While he has a wealth of information and I do watch many of his videos I have to admit that I find his style of presentation palling after a while. By the way, I think I read on The Fountain Pen Network that he is Dutch

Freddy,
That is the guy I was talking about. And that is the video review I was referencing as well. Thanks for the link. I am new to fountain pens relatively. So I still find him amusing. In your vid he calls the white Studio pen a Stormtrooper pen. Cracked me up.

You are right about the Netherlands. His facebook account ends in "dotNL"which means his domain is in the Netherlands.

Hopefully the pen will be here Tuesday and ML can post a review.
gotta go. It is time for pie:biggrin:

That sounds delicious! Hambre

2 11,211
 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
User Info
Ooooo homemade pie and a pen! She's a lucky lady!

1 346
 01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
User Info
(01-20-2014, 12:44 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: Ooooo homemade pie and a pen! She's a lucky lady!

Well I may be a tad biased but I think she's a lucky ladyBiggrin
But then I am a lucky man!

Our daughter gave Mary Lou the first two seasons of the BBC's "Sherlock". She said it was to keep with the British theme. I thought that was neat.

The pen (Platignum Studio) and ink (Diamine Turquoise) arrived today.
[Image: OtutSfR.jpg]
The pen came with a blue and a black cartridge. I purchased the Montverde mini converter separately. The Jetpens site suggested it. Reflecting on this I don't know why. This is a full size pen.

The pen comes in a cardboard box with the Union Jack motif. It is in a fuzzy lined holder. Nothing special but the box looks cool.

The pen is enameled aluminum. Bright blue. Very, very bright. ML likes the color. The grip/nib holder portion is brass. The grip is coated with a soft touch plastic. The pen is light but well balanced when posted.

When you cap the pen it snaps on with an audible click. The same click is heard when you post the cap - A nice touch!

The clip and finials are painted black metal. The clip has an artistic touch. The end of it looks like a nib. You have to be a pen nerd to appreciate that. ML does.

The nib is stainless steel with no markings. It is a medium - the only size available.
[Image: 1c1Z0Zs.jpg]

ML inked it right away with the Diamine Turquoise. She liked the light weight and the "click feature". She thought it was scratchy on cheap paper. On Rhodia it is not scratchy but has a very slight drag.

Overall she likes the pen and would recommend it to others.

The ink is nice. But I did not nail "Mary Lou's Perfect Blue" ink.
It is very light. Which is interesting. I have a sample of Chesterfield Turquoise and thought it was re-branded Diamine. But the Chesterfield is decidedly darker.

I like the pen and the ink.

Phil

7 363
 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Awesome Phil. Glad she is liking it. You both sound lucky.

The new Sherlock is actually a great show. Cumberpatch does a great job with the character and Freeman makes a great Watson in my opinion.

Hope she enjoys the show as much as she enjoys the pen.

18 1,186
 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Interesting about the Diamine vs. Chesterfield because I, too, thought the Chesterfield was rebranded Diamine. Hmm

2 11,211
 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM
User Info
(01-21-2014, 06:35 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Awesome Phil. Glad she is liking it. You both sound lucky.

The new Sherlock is actually a great show. Cumberpatch does a great job with the character and Freeman makes a great Watson in my opinion.

Hope she enjoys the show as much as she enjoys the pen.
Clinton,
We like the show. Watched the DVDs while hunkered down during this cold weather.
The characters are all great. I like inspecter Lestrade.I like the detective who calls Sherlock "Freak". I like Molly and her unrequited love. Mrs Hudson is great. And I love how they portray Mycroft. Just a really good show.

(01-21-2014, 08:42 PM)freddy Wrote: Interesting about the Diamine vs. Chesterfield because I, too, thought the Chesterfield was rebranded Diamine. Hmm

Freddy,
Diamine has quite a few shades of blue. It is possible that Chesterfield picked another color and labeled it "Turquoise"

I looked around the net.
The XFountainpen site states " fountain pen ink from Chesterfield Ink. Meticulously crafted in the United Kingdom since 1864"

JetPens says "Diamine brand ink has a long and rich history, dating back to 1864. Diamine ink is produced in the UK "

That alone seems to connect the two.

Most seem to agree the Chesterfield ink is Diamine. On the FPN there is an older post (2009) that discusses a referenceChesterfiel - Diamine Cross Reference

In that post there is a link to this Google docs Cross Reference table

But none of that is definitive. Just other aficionados posting their thoughts. I am not a FPN member but it does not look like XFountainPens ever answered any ones private inquiries.

I have 6 bright color Chesterfield inks. They perform and handle as well as my Diamine inks. I would purchase more Chesterfield inks readily and recommend them as well.

Phil

7 363
 01-22-2014, 11:34 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Yes, I like the Chesterfield inks, too. Nicely performing inks at good prices.

2 11,211
 01-29-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Nice pen, my bday was the 19th. happy belated to ML. Great gift.

0 854