01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I am very close to ordering one of these (black and white basic version with soap lid as shown in the review here, not too fond of the pelican look of the "brush basin" on the other models). I love the design and glaze. At various points I'd also considered the moss and dirty bird scuttles. The main downside of the moss the fact that it's not designed to make lather in. I came close to pulling the trigger on the DB as I really like the web design but in the end slightly too bulky (functionally and aesthetically somewhat tank like).

The positive review on the SWK here has helped my decision, specifically regarding the heat retention of the SWK basic compared to the other scuttles. Any additional thoughts on this particular scuttle? Is it good for making lather in, or more of a brush warmer like the moss? I found a thread on the German forum nassrassur that was also helpful, with more pictures of the various scuttles to help give a sense of the size.

One thing I'm wondering about is the design of the handle, which is a unique "thumb handle" designed to have the user palm the bowl. I'm thinking this would probably preclude using water that was too hot for fear of burning your palm.

Thanks

17 437
 01-20-2014, 11:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have never tried to palm mine other than carrying it from the kitchen sink where the real hot water is to the bathroom. I use it setting on the counter.

I believe without a doubt it is the best scuttle that I have ever used.

175 23,752
 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
  • Lando
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Awesome, thanks for the review Johnny! Just waiting to hear back from Ansgar at this point.

I like the look of the soap lid as well.

17 437
 01-20-2014, 11:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have three of the soap lids, each in a different color for three of my favorite soaps. They are a handy little addition.

175 23,752
 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM
  • Lando
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Here are pics of the basic compared to the S model, again taken from the German forum nassrasur:

[Image: ypipHOp.jpg]

[Image: mpixk8S.jpg]

17 437
 01-20-2014, 11:49 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Not the best picture of the complete scuttle, but I have the basic.

[Image: chv2uAo.jpg]

175 23,752
 01-20-2014, 08:57 PM
User Info
I've had a very negative experience with ansgar and his extra large scuttle. I will elaborate via pm if interested.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

0 19
 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM
  • Lando
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
(01-20-2014, 08:57 PM)amerunis Wrote: I've had a very negative experience with ansgar and his extra large scuttle. I will elaborate via pm if interested.

Please do so. I received a PM earlier from a different member with a scuttle that cracked during use.

17 437
 01-21-2014, 05:41 AM
User Info
I had a two piece scuttle from them which is not made any longer and it worked perfectly. Sorry I sold it. The smaller scuttle in the picture has a design flaw in my opinion because the spout is on the same side as the handle. If you go to empty the scuttle when the water is very hot you could get burnt.

119 13,019
 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When you empty the water you do not hold it by the handle. I actually kind of like the feature with how it's filled.

175 23,752
 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
I had a SWK XL scuttle which I liked a lot. It kept my lather nice and warm. However, it had a huge footprint, taking up more counter space than I had available. Unless you have a very large counter, I would recommend a smaller size.

206 12,189
 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
  • Lando
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
The XL looks a little too big for me anyway. Favoring the basic model, which has the spout on the handle side as mentioned. This appears to be a design modification, since the spouts were opposite the handle side on a prior iteration (more traditional). I see the potential drawback, although the benefit may be that it is easier to empty the top bowl without hot water sloshing out of the lower chamber.

Ansgar replied to me. He likely won't be back to taking orders until late February.

Johnny, do you ever put your SWK in the microwave?

17 437
 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-21-2014, 11:39 AM)Lando Wrote: The XL looks a little too big for me anyway. Favoring the basic model, which has the spout on the handle side as mentioned. This appears to be a design modification, since the spouts were opposite the handle side on a prior iteration (more traditional). I see the potential drawback, although the benefit may be that it is easier to empty the top bowl without hot water sloshing out of the lower chamber.

Ansgar replied to me. He likely won't be back to taking orders until late February.

Johnny, do you ever put your SWK in the microwave?

That is exactly why the spout is where it's at.

I have never put it in a microwave as I see no need. My hottest water is in the kitchen since the water heater sets almost directly under the sink in the basement. I put scalding hot faucet water in the inner and outer bowls and let it set for about 5 minutes. Then empty both and refill just the outer bowl. That sucker stays hot long after the shave is over.

175 23,752
 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM
User Info
Lando sent pm

0 19
 01-27-2014, 09:42 PM
  • Lando
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
At the present time I decided to go with the dirty bird original scuttle in opal on black. Ordered it last week and already the anticipation is killing me!

I may revisit the SWK when Ansgar is taking orders again. Like a lot of things shaving related, after agonizing over which one to get, I'll probably just end up getting both.

17 437
 01-27-2014, 09:42 PM
User Info
I did and Georgetown

0 19
 01-28-2014, 12:00 AM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 09:42 PM)Lando Wrote: Like a lot of things shaving related, after agonizing over which one to get, I'll probably just end up getting both.

Hahahaha, well said.

12 848
 01-28-2014, 10:20 PM
User Info
I was under the impression if you used water that is too hot it would be bad for your lather. Anybody have this problem or was I misinformed.

Also the Scuttles look amazing!

0 59