01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
User Info
Is anyone familiar with these two razors and if so what are the plusses and minuses of each? Thanks

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

0 858
 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM
User Info
There isn't really much of a difference except for the thickness in diameter with the handles with the Fatboy being thicker and the Slim a tiny bit longer, really. I found the shaves very similar with both, but I preferred the substantial weight of the Fatboy. However, it is a personal preference, only, as you may differ with my opinion.
Good luck and I would suggest getting both to see which you prefer.

83 21,078
 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I have a Slim and a Super, so I'm interested to hear what others say as well. I've been told that I'm not missing much if I have a Slim, but for some reason I still covet a Fatboy...

18 1,186
 01-20-2014, 03:36 PM
User Info
I have both and enjoy them greatly. Celestino's description is nice and I too believe the head of the Fatboy is a little thicker than the Slim. I read a post in the past that, "It was harder to get close under the nose with a Fatboy." (i.e., thicker head). I find this not to be a problem. If you can, get both. They are wonderfully engineered razors which provide great shaves.

Hope this helps,
Ed

22 752
 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM
User Info
I've owned both, and they shave the same. The Fatboy has a shorter/fatter handle that feels better in hand IMHO. You can get a Slim for half the cost of a Fatboy. If you like longer handles, the Slim is probably the way to go.

42 208
 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM
User Info
(01-20-2014, 03:36 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: I have both and enjoy them greatly. Celestino's description is nice and I too believe the head of the Fatboy is a little thicker than the Slim. I read a post in the past that, "It was harder to get close under the nose with a Fatboy." (i.e., thicker head). I find this not to be a problem. If you can, get both. They are wonderfully engineered razors which provide great shaves.

Hope this helps,
Ed

* I have to concur with Ed and forgot to mention that the head on the Fatboy is a bit thicker/fatter than the one on the Slim.

83 21,078
 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I like them both. The Fat Boy enjoys a cult status which I think is a little unwarranted insofar as they command outrageous prices, when, after all, the Slim shaves just as well IMO. The cultishness may come from the fact that their years of production were limited to 4, however, they do have a certain 'aura' about them. Had they been available for sixpence and available at the drop of a hat, I doubt they would ever have acquired the status and reputation they have.

They are a very good razor, though. I find the Slim a little easier to handle, though. As for shaving the filtrum/nose area, that surely depends on your own hair growth and physical features. One man's meat, etc. The only razor I have difficulty with on that part of my face is with the single-edge Gem-type razor. Cumbersome, some Smile

0 1,774
 01-20-2014, 06:12 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
I like the thickness of the handle of the Fatboy over the slim... It just feels overall heftier.

53 555
 01-20-2014, 10:53 PM
User Info
With the lighter weight I found myself pressing a little more with the slim than I did compared to that of the fatboy. But I ended up selling both of them because I felt I wasn't getting the greatest of shaves with either. I think I was too tied up with trying to have a progressive shaving by using different setting throughout the shave.(switching settings),

4 309
 01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
User Info
I preferred the slim due to the smaller head, especially around the nose.

192 1,588
 01-21-2014, 12:50 AM
User Info
+1 on the slim head vs the Fatboy. There is a subtle difference, but it's there. Of the 2 I prefer the Slim. It taught me to use a light touch. I used my Fatboy for a few shaves, then mothballed it. (as in the "mothball fleet", google it if you don't know, not actual mothballs)Smile

Today both are mothballed.

32 6,459
 01-21-2014, 05:11 AM
User Info
Hiya,

Well let's see how different these two razors are. They don't weigh the same, the balance isn't the same either, handle knurling patterns aren't the same, and yes, the head designs are different too. Other than that they're pretty much identical...........

You might think that because of these many differences, these two razors wouldn't shave the same. You would be right.

There's been polls over the years about which razor (Fatboy or Slim) is the more popular and it's been about even as far as the shaves go. They each have their fans. Matter of fact, the Fatboy is still one of my go to razors, while I never use a Slim. To me the shaves between those rwo are night and day.

Martin

(01-20-2014, 02:55 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: I have a Slim and a Super, so I'm interested to hear what others say as well. I've been told that I'm not missing much if I have a Slim, but for some reason I still covet a Fatboy...

Hi there,

The Slim and Super have similar heads so the shave will be sorta the same as far as how the head feels on your face. The more rounded Fatboy head will present the blade to your face differently than those other two razors.

Heh, you need to try a Fatboy sometime.

Martin

1 79
 01-21-2014, 05:53 AM
User Info
Don't count out the Super Adjustable. All three are amazing razors!

1 46
 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have a few Fat Boys, a Slim, and a Super. I do notice subtle differences between the shaves, since they are different razors. Although often overhyped, I tend to get the best shaves with the Fat Boy. I feel like no matter what I do, or what setting it's on I simply cannot get a bad shave with it. Very smooth, effective and absolutely zero irritation every single time. The slim is lighter and feels more maneuverable, but for some odd reason I struggle with that one. I don't get bad shaves, I just have a harder time getting spectacular ones... I actually have to try, where with the FB its completely effortless. The Super is closest to the Slim, just lighter and for me the balance feels "off." It's still a good shaver, but I do reach for that one the least out of all my adjustables.

I'm not sure what it is about the Fat Boy that works so well for me, maybe the weight, thicker handle, or the head design, but its one of my go-to razors in my rotation. I can't say I'm a fan of how the market is pricing them, but that's another thread.

IMO, it's worth getting a hold of both and trying them for yourself and seeing what works best for your skin and technique. For the one you don't like you can easily get all your money back if you purchased it.

Good luck!

34 1,628
 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM
User Info
Hiya,

Over the years there's been many razors test driven on my face. Mostly various old US made Gillettes, but also some other brands from other countries. Far as I can remember, there's only a few other razors with the Fatboy head. Those would be the Toggle and the 1958 adjustable Executive. This isn't to say the Fatboy shaves like a Toggle, because those two are built differently from each other.

Anyway, I'm convinced that rounded head is what sets the FB/Executive apart from anything else I've ever used. For whatever the reason, it just fits me best.

One thing I should mention is the very real fact that not all Fatboys shave the same. Same's true of the Super and Slim...they will sometimes provide a different shave than usual. Over the years they can get thrown outta whack or maybe the factory run was a little different than others or whatever. You need to try more than one and see exactly what a good shave with each one is like. Hah, a real can of worms!

Martin

1 79
 01-23-2014, 10:45 PM
User Info
The Slim was an improvement to the Fatboy when Gillette released it.

Flatter head, thinner / longer handle, better mechanics, better durability.

0 218
 01-29-2014, 06:45 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the info guys.

0 858
 01-29-2014, 07:00 AM
User Info
(01-23-2014, 10:45 PM)Razor Emporium Wrote: The Slim was an improvement to the Fatboy when Gillette released it.

My thoughts exactly!

2 5,547
 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Quote:The Slim was an improvement to the Fatboy when Gillette released it.

Don't go bringing facts into this! Biggrin

4 2,766
 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've got a '60 Fat Boy, two '56 Blue Tips, two '56 Red Tips and two '58 Super Speed T.V. Specials. The doubles were all just happenstance. Some are heritage, some aren't, meaning some were my fathers or grandfathers. I use and love them all. Also a '60s era Krona.

7 2,328