01-20-2014, 07:57 PM
User Info
This will be the official information and interaction as I get the Dapper Dragon line of soaps ready for launch.

I'm happy to hear anyone's questions, suggestions, wishlists or other types of input. A few members of the community have gotten to try the soap during the testing phase, and they're welcome to chime in with their thoughts.

Where We Are
So far, I have a soap formula that I'm happy with in terms of performance and skin care. The only part I'm unsure about is the hardness.

In fact, yesterday I made a batch of new soap, with a new scent, and increased the percentage of Sodium Hydroxide to make the soap a bit harder. What I ended up with seems to perform just as well (I'll be using it for a few days) but is a firm croap instead of a very soft/sticky one.

Jasmine & Vanilla Shave Soap (v4)
[Image: 74wcKEHl.jpg]

Holds its shape under its own weight:
[Image: 3JmsqGll.jpg]

But the lather is very nice:
[Image: lpIZELTl.jpg]

And lasts - this is after sitting for 15 minutes:
[Image: LOy3X4Bl.jpg]

I look forward to sharing the fruits of my labor with you all!

Eric

10 1,858
 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Awesome Eric. Very excited about this. I know you have been working on it for quite sometime.

I do have a couple of questions:

When do you plan to launch?
How will the soap be packaged?
What scents do you plan on launching with?
Do you have an ingredient list?

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, but I'll give the floor to some other folks for now.

18 1,186
 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM
User Info
Eric, your soap performed very well and I was pleased to be a part of the testers. I particularly love the minimalist ingredients while still having just the right amount of Shea butter to give it a luxuriously creamy quality without it being too oily or buttery.

I would personally like to see it be a firmer croap. The test samples were so sticky that they were hard to transfer from one container to another. I look forward to seeing how your soap continues to progress.

31 8,057
 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
User Info
(01-20-2014, 08:09 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Awesome Eric. Very excited about this. I know you have been working on it for quite sometime.

I do have a couple of questions:

When do you plan to launch?
How will the soap be packaged?
What scents do you plan on launching with?
Do you have an ingredient list?

I don't have a firm launch date. I had originally hoped to do so this winter, but there's more to it than I had originally planned for. So at this point I have a tentative target of mid-March.

If I go with a firm enough soap, I plan to offer it as a puck, possibly in a cardboard box. If the firmer soap somehow sacrifices performance, it will be in a tin or tub. I have a few that I've picked out as possibilities. I have also discussed a special edition in a hand-thrown ceramic dish w/ Sonya (LadySea).

The launch line-up isn't complete, yet. I'm thinking 4 or 5 scents, and unscented. Probably two blended scents, and a couple of simpler 1- or 2-note scents.

The ingredients are simple: Stearic acid, coconut oil, water, shea butter, glycerin, NaOH and KOH. Plus fragrances, of course.

(01-20-2014, 08:12 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I would personally like to see it be a firmer croap. The test samples were so sticky that they were hard to transfer from one container to another. I look forward to seeing how your soap continues to progress.

This was a pretty common theme from the testers, which is where this weekend's experimentation came from. The result was actually a bit firmer than I was expecting, but still easily molded by hand.

10 1,858
 01-20-2014, 08:52 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice, Eric.
Good luck with further development of this soap!

102 18,647
 01-20-2014, 08:55 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
Glad to see you are working with Sonya on this. This is a unique approach for an artisan to take, and one I was really hoping you would take. Hopefully you can work it out, as I can't wait to see what you and Sonya come up with.

I'm very excited to give these a shot and will be watching for your release.

Congrats Eric and the best of luck to you.

18 1,186
 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM
User Info
First shave with v4 - very nice.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

10 1,858
 01-21-2014, 02:43 AM
User Info
Looks great! Can't wait to try your soap! Smile

53 1,199
 01-21-2014, 10:05 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Eric and I wish you the best of luck!

82 21,077
 01-21-2014, 01:06 PM
User Info
Now I'll ask you guys a question:

What size would you like to see soap samples?

The way I have it figured, you have multiple factors competing here. One is obviously price. If you have a 2oz soap sample, it's probably going to be 60% of the price of a 4oz puck of soap. Then you have convenience. The smaller a soap sample is, the harder it usually is to actually use. I can't imagine cutting a useful round sample that's less than 1/2oz, and even then that might be pushing it.

So, would you rather have a nice big sample that cost you more? A small, cheap sample that lets you try more things but is an awkward size/shape? Would you like to go to the extreme and see soaps offered in a "mini-puck" that might work better for people with a large rotation?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

10 1,858
 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
User Info
I'd like to see a thin, hockey puck size/shape sample - something I can easily load on and get at least 5 shaves out of (whatever that works out to).

53 1,199
 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
User Info
I would consider scent samples like Prairie Creations offers. I have never bought a sample size puck of soap because of the convenience factor that you mentioned. If you had a way to allow us to sniff the scents then I think you could see a sharp decline in the desire for a sample size soap. That's just my thoughts though and I look forward to hearing what others say.

31 8,057
 01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
User Info
(01-21-2014, 01:10 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I would consider scent samples like Prairie Creations offers. I have never bought a sample size puck of soap because of the convenience factor that you mentioned. If you had a way to allow us to sniff the scents then I think you could see a sharp decline in the desire for a sample size soap. That's just my thoughts though and I look forward to hearing what others say.

Hmm. That's fascinating. I wonder if it's more or less expensive than just offering a little nickle sized pinch of soap?

I'll be over here scheming for a bit. Smile

10 1,858
 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
You might order some from Krissy just to see how she presents it. I know she has a special mold she uses for her 1oz pucks because I'm in on the PIF she is doing. But that's about all I know of it.

18 1,186
 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM
User Info
I reserved the domain today, dapperdragon.com. Nothing there yet, but it's that much closer to real.

10 1,858
 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
I don't know how small of a puck you could get, but I've cut soft pucks (Mystic Water) in half fairly easily using a 20# monofilament line. Wrap it around the soap and twist together (like you do with your laces when you're tying shoes), use the tip of a knife to nudge it exactly where you want the cut, and pull both ends like you're tightening your laces.

If the soap is a soft consistency, I think any shape will do. it's not problem to push it into a round container until it's flat and fills the bottom. I do this with Mikes, Mystic Water, and even Arko.

I'd prefer a sample of the soap over a sample of the scent, as the scent develops differently as you lather and apply it. With regard to the efficacy of a sample, it's the surface area that matters, not volume. Spreading out the sample in dish is key to getting an accurate picture of performance.

I think a 1/2 ounce sample is a great size.

I wish you well in your endeavor!

0 836
 01-24-2014, 12:01 PM
User Info
Thanks, Pat.

You make a good point about soap vs. just fragrance oils. And of course a soap sample is a good idea for people who don't know the soap.

If I can find a good source for the scent sample materials, I may do both.

10 1,858
 01-24-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 12:01 PM)Songwind Wrote: If I can find a good source for the scent sample materials, I may do both.

If by "materials" you mean what to put the scent on, check out the firearms section at Dick's Sporting Goods. Specifically look in the aisle with gun cleaning supplies. Look for cleaning patches. This particular size is just $5 for 500 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Gun-Cleanin...B0000C50HM

I'm guessing that a drop of the scent oils straight up might be too strong. Perhaps dilute some with alcohol? I'd think you'd want the scent intensity of the sample to match the scent intensity of the soap.

I do like the idea of doing both. A person could order a sample or two, plus a few samples. It would save some money for the user and bring him back sooner to order full pucks.

0 836
 02-17-2014, 12:29 PM
User Info
I updated by blog with a "state of the Dragon" update.

10 1,858
 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM
User Info
And, though possibly not the final color scheme, I give you: the Dapper Dragon.

[Image: 9w2JpMPl.png]
(Click for larger)

10 1,858