01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
User Info
An interesting article on Acculturated concerning the return of wet shaving. Our "hobby" continues to gain in popularity.

0 386
 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Cool really. Australia has a LONG way to go when it comes to retailing wet shaving equipment. Most mainstream stores don't even know what you're talking about when you ask if they sell decent shaving kit. Most people , when I tell them I use this gear, say "But they don't make razor blades any more, do they?" or some such. I wonder how much capital outlay would be needed to set up a small and reliable, yet comprehensive shaving business? Hmm...import taxes...hmmmm....

Are there any other Aussies who have thought about this? I'd like to discuss.

0 1,769
 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the author is an active member on the forums. He did leave a link for B&B forum as well as a popular vendor among B&B members. There were some obvious mistakes made in the article he could have researched better though. I cringed when he recommended the Jack Black Brush. I would hate to see a beginner purchases that brush for $150 considering it's a $60 brush. I also don't understand why he thinks Jack Black is the company that will make wet shaving popular. How long has AOS been around?

45 3,955
 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
User Info
Wet shaving may becoming more popular in the USA, but major chain retailers still carry very few relevant items. The overwhelming majority of the equipment and software is still purchased from small, online retail stores both in America and abroad. In fact, it often appears that there are far more brick and mortar stores that carry wet shaving goods in Europe, particularly the UK, Italy and eastern Europe, than in the USA (and I live in Manhattan and in close walking distance of Pasteurs and AOS; I cannot even imagine the wet shaving wasteland that my fellow suburban and rural Americans must endure).

Nevertheless, some wet shaving products are very gradually starting to regularly appear in stores (e.g., Van Der Hagen, Every Man Jack, etc.) I hope the steadily increasing popularity of our hobby forces even large, self-interested companies like Gillette and Shcick to take notice and adapt. I welcome the day when I can buy a 100 bulk pack of Gillette Silver Blues at my local Walgreens or CVS.

(01-20-2014, 09:10 PM)tgutc Wrote: Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the author is an active member on the forums. He did leave a link for B&B forum as well as a popular vendor among B&B members. There were some obvious mistakes made in the article he could have researched better though. I cringed when he recommended the Jack Black Brush. I would hate to see a beginner purchases that brush for $150 considering it's a $60 brush. I also don't understand why he thinks Jack Black is the company that will make wet shaving popular. How long has AOS been around?

I just assumed that Jack Black was a large advertiser on Acculturated.

0 386
 01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
User Info
Seems to me that Jack Black endorsed the article in some capacity; which is not necessarily a bad thing for the growth of our hobby, but sucks if the newbie follows the advice blind.

3 315
 01-21-2014, 04:15 AM
User Info
Half information, half entertainment, half advertisement... but if it can get people interested and make them explore the options, it's all good in my book.

3 4,501
 01-21-2014, 04:16 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
It's good publicity for our passion. And the brush, well, YMMV

19 742
 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM
User Info
Thanks for the link! Great to see the growth and popularity of this fine tradition! Smile

83 21,077
 01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
It's always good to see our hobby get more exposure, but how the heck does he get a couple of years out of a tub of T&H cream?

0 1,137