01-21-2014, 03:40 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Now I am a fan, a big fan, of the Polsilver Wizamet (Brown Pole) and I'd given up on my analysis why they work well for me. They just do. I like other blades too, and I am currently experimenting with the Gillette Platinums which I also find provide an excellent shave.

Anyway, I am shimming my Old Type and sorting through old used blades and notice for the first time nothing very remarkable, but the relative thickness of the different blades. As I sort, I start bedding and flexing them. The Astra, for example is very flimsy indeed, and I see other blades have varying degrees of thickness..or resilience? I don't think I am imagining this. So, joining the dots...I find the Brown Pole is the sturdiest of the lot.

Could the sturdiness of the blade, it's thickness, be the reason for its relative shaving quality? Having said that, I do like Astras...in some razors, not others. Same as the Gillette Thins. I find, for example, Polsilver browns work very well indeed in my DE 89, but not as good, say, in my Rocket Flare Tip.

Comments and thoughts?

0 1,846
 01-21-2014, 04:06 AM
User Info
This is the exact reason why a slant worked better than other DE razors for me. The 3-D torque increases the blades rigidity.

However, the slant can't increase a blades natural thickness of course. This is why I only shave with SEs now. Much thicker and stiffer blades. I really don't see how anyone can shave comfortably with those flimsy ribbons of steel called DE blades. Winky

31 8,058
 01-21-2014, 04:15 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-21-2014, 04:06 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: This is the exact reason why a slant worked better than other DE razors for me. The 3-D torque increases the blades rigidity.

However, the slant can't increase a blades natural thickness of course. This is why I only shave with SEs now. Much thicker and stiffer blades. I really don't see how anyone can shave comfortably with those flimsy ribbons of steel called DE blades. Winky

A very interesting and amusing post. I wondered if I had been imagining this as a plausible 'theory'.

0 1,846
 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM
User Info
Shaun, if this were true, then you should be using a wedge or a 1/4 ground straight! Biggrin

I am the polar opposite of Brian as I despise the SE blades. Nothing seems to be as pleasant on my skin as a Super Iridium/vintage Wilkinson Sword. Blush

83 21,115
 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM
User Info
I've noticed this as well, and is one of the reasons I have liked the Vokshod's.

They feel stiffer to me, which changes the feel as well as the acoustics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is one of the nice things about the Tradere and PILS razors. No matter what blade you put in them, they hold the blade flat and there is no flex in the blade.

179 23,934
 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
(01-21-2014, 09:02 AM)waveflow Wrote: I've noticed this as well, and is one of the reasons I have liked the Vokshod's.

They feel stiffer to me, which changes the feel as well as the acoustics.

When I was trying to make DE blades work for me, my all time favorite was the Voskhod.

(01-21-2014, 09:44 AM)Johnny Wrote: That is one of the nice things about the Tradere and PILS razors. No matter what blade you put in them, they hold the blade flat and there is no flex in the blade.

That's interesting Johnny. The '11 R41 also kept a flat blade presentation and that sucker drew more blood from me than Dracula would have. One of the reasons that most DE razor heads flex the blade is that a flexed blade will exhibit more stiffness than a flat blade due to the higher stress. This is why the 3-D torque on a blade by a slant razor worked the best for me. All IMHO of course and it will also depend on just how tight those razors lock down on the blade and how much of the blade is exposed.

(01-21-2014, 08:59 AM)celestino Wrote: Shaun, if this were true, then you should be using a wedge or a 1/4 ground straight! Biggrin

I am the polar opposite of Brian as I despise the SE blades. Nothing seems to be as pleasant on my skin as a Super Iridium/vintage Wilkinson Sword. Blush

Celestino, you leave my SEs alone and I'll leave your DLCs alone, deal? Winky At least we won't be bidding each other up on anything, right? Biggrin

31 8,058
 01-21-2014, 09:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Cannot compare the R41 with the Tradere or the PILS. Both provide a nice smooth mild shave. You would really need to see/try one to understand what I'm talking about. Nothing at all like the R41.

179 23,934
 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM
User Info
(01-21-2014, 09:51 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: … The '11 R41 also kept a flat blade presentation and that sucker drew more blood from me than Dracula would have ...

Not necessarily new information, but the '13 R41 is much smoother IMO. I enjoyed it so much I sold my Barbasol Floating Head. I liked the '11 also, but much more wild.

I honestly think that this issue is of huge importance. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to the razor, but any DE blade I perceive as flimsy does not work for me.

An example of this is the Personna Blue. I was reading how smooth it was supposed to be and found it to be quite harsh due to the lack of stability.

192 1,588
 01-21-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
Brian, no worries, my friend! I would have loved to be using SE as I just find them great looking razors, but...........

Regarding the R41 compared to the Pils/Tradere. The R41 doesn't seem to engage the blade as firmly as the Pils/Tradere razors even thought it lies flat and I found the blade flexed much more than in the other two razors. Coupled with the more pronounced blade gap, this could also be another reason why the flexing is more significant in the R41.

83 21,115
 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-21-2014, 09:44 AM)Johnny Wrote: That is one of the nice things about the Tradere and PILS razors. No matter what blade you put in them, they hold the blade flat and there is no flex in the blade.

Wow really? I didn't know that! You learn something new all the time her win the Nook. It's such a fantastic resource. Gentlemanly too, which I really just can't say enough about, and thank all you good men and true.

0 1,846
 01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
User Info
(01-21-2014, 09:56 AM)Johnny Wrote: Cannot compare the R41 with the Tradere or the PILS. Both provide a nice smooth mild shave. You would really need to see/try one to understand what I'm talking about. Nothing at all like the R41.

(01-21-2014, 10:10 AM)celestino Wrote: Brian, no worries, my friend! I would have loved to be using SE as I just find them great looking razors, but...........

Regarding the R41 compared to the Pils/Tradere. The R41 doesn't seem to engage the blade as firmly as the Pils/Tradere razors even thought it lies flat and I found the blade flexed much more than in the other two razors. Coupled with the more pronounced blade gap, this could also be another reason why the flexing is more significant in the R41.

Thanks y'all. That brings it together nicely for me. Thumbsup

31 8,058
 01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
The flexing in my Progress seems pretty severe, and it's the only DE I can presently use (just sold a Weber and EJ), albeit adjusted very low on the scale. I've had better luck with injector blades over the years because -- it's apparent to me now -- of their thickness and almost non-existent flex. The SE's that I've had, GEM G-Bar and 1912, were too harsh, so there's a fine line that I can walk here, too. I honestly wouldn't know what to expect from a Cobra or Huntlee, but I'd love to try 'em. (Maybe also a Tradere, based on the info up-thread.)

29 1,776
 01-27-2014, 05:25 AM
User Info
I've recently focused on the blade thickness after trying a Kai blade. Super-sharp, smooth and noticeably less chatter than my other blades in my stable.

The Kai appears to be a bit thicker than my beloved Silver-Blues.

54 1,214
 01-27-2014, 06:23 AM
User Info
yes. if i remember correctly the kai blades are slightly thicker and larger than blades in general. have a look at the kai website to verify. all exact measures are there.

7 1,624
 01-27-2014, 06:39 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
While I've seen lumberjacks in the Pacific Northwest shave with an axe, the epitome of a rigid, stiff blade, it is not for me. I obtain an adequate shave with my SE's with a GEM blade, but my best shaves are from a mild razor, the Weber DLC, Feather AS-D2, Mühle Jet, ATT M2 with a thin, sharp Feather blade. There are just too many variables, including angle, gap, pressure, weight of razor, skin and beard condition, etc. For some, it's obvious that a rigid, thick blade produces the smoothest shaves, and for others like myself, a thin, sharp blade. I have yet to try the Tradere or PILS, but they are on my bucket list.

38 5,199
 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
The companies like Gillette have spent millions of dollars on research to discover the best technology in blade development possible. I find that the thickness and sturdiness of the blade makes a difference for me and the quality of shaving I receive. The problem is that it is different for every person. One person may find a better shave with a thicker blade that is more sturdy, while the next person prefers a thinner blade that flexes more easily. It can be a treasure hunt to find a blade that works best for you and your needs. It is part of the beauty of the whole process.

0 5