01-21-2014, 05:50 AM
User Info
Hello All,

Today, I want to figure out something. I am a member of just about every wet-shaving interest group on the net. I'm a Gillette guy so those are the posts I tend to read and I hardly ever see anything about the Gillette Super Adjustable. I have two. I have the late version, my birth razor, a 3rd quarter 1983 with the plastic baseplate but my other one is my favorite. 1970 was the first year that they made this beast, making my first quarter 1970 SA the first edition. It is stunning. The nickel head and trim against the black handle is a thing of beauty. The nickel-coated brass baseplate is what makes me favor it over birth razor.

Now the reason why I'm writing this is because Gillette forums are filled to the brim with talk of Fat Boys and Slims, News and Olds, but very rarely, my friend, the Super Adjustable. I just can't figure out why.

Is it a cosmetic thing? I must admit, the Fat Boy and the Slim are beautiful razors. My Slim has been re-plated in rhodium and my Fat Boy is in the process (as we speak) of being restored to its original nickel finish. They are much better looking than their black counterpart. But in the end, these are not paperweights or decorations, they are tools used for grooming.

Some believe that the changes in Gillette's adjustable razors were made to make them cheaper to produce. While that may be the case, I believe that the shave quality these tools produce got better with every change. I get a better shave with my Slim than I do with my Fat Boy and a better shave with my SA than my Fat Boy. That's just me though, YMMV. I am interested to see what everyone else thinks. The topic is now open for discussion.....

1 46
 01-21-2014, 06:26 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
For many people it was always escape from plastic razors towards vintage or new metal ones. This can play the factor even if razor is good but plastic for example.

11 880
 01-21-2014, 06:42 AM
User Info
Or there might just be as many on the marked - a great razor won't gather much of a following if there is no one owning one?

3 4,501
 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM
User Info
Well... a pre-1977 Super Adjustable is also made of metal.
Only the ones produced in 1977 and after have the plastic piece under the head.

So I think that is not an issue.

But that is only my opinion - I always thought that Fatboy models are way too overrated... Tongue

2 5,547
 01-21-2014, 07:44 AM
User Info
I loved my super Adjustable - excellent shaver equivalent to my Slim. Ultimately I kept my Slim and sold the Super Adjustable because my Slim was prettier (rhodium).

53 1,199
 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM
User Info
I would have to agree that most folks find the metallic version of Gillette's adjustables to be more aesthetically pleasing and the Fatboy's popularity is more thank likely due to its substantial size and weight.
Regardless, if yours is working out for you, then enjoy it that much more as it is a less expensive one to get. Smile

83 21,077
 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM
User Info
(01-21-2014, 06:47 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Well... a pre-1977 Super Adjustable is also made of metal.
Only the ones produced in 1977 and after have the plastic piece under the head.

So I think that is not an issue.

But that is only my opinion - I always thought that Fatboy models are way too overrated... Tongue

Couldn't agree more. Looks like I got a little tongue tied toward the end of my rant. I find the Slim shaves better than the FB or the Toggle and the SA shaves better than all the above.

I am the only one I know in my generation that learned to shave with a DE. My dad gave me his 58 red tipped SS and an old Wilkinson brush and I learned the right way. In fact, the only times in my life I've ever shaved with a cartridge was in boot camp and a few unexpected hotel stays.

I stayed away from buying a FB or a Toggle because my grandfather promised them to me. I've been shaving for 16 years and I tried the FB and Toggle a little less than a year ago. How frickin anticlimactic! For me, both are a little better than average as far as the shave I get. Aesthetically, the are the prettiest pieces I own. All the rave reviews and loyal followers on the net just led me to believe they were the holy grails of shaving. Bit of a let down, really.

1 46
 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I agree. Of those mentioned, I prefer the Super Adjustable also.

33 377
 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM
User Info
My Slim is my number one razor. I got a Super Adjustable for my dad as a Father's Day present. He took it to his condo in Florida and has a lot of good shaves with it. I've only used it once, so I really don't have much to say other than it was a good shave.

2 396
 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Been using my Super for a couple of shaves this week and I like it. It gives a good shave, but I like the heft of my Slim better. Makes me think I would love a Fatboy. I've been on the hunt for one of those for a long time. I'll find one soon enough.

18 1,186
 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
My brother uses one and he likes it a lot. No doubt it gives great shaves, but the comments here regarding 'plastic' probably sum the issue up. Many prefer the metal aesthetic. For eco reasons, I also dislike blades that are not available in cardboard. Partly, my motivation regarding wet shaving stems from my shock at the number of disposable plastic razors that go to landfill. Such despoiling waste. Having said that, the Super Adjustable is hardly 'disposable'. I have a Feather plastic razor which isn't bad, but I am not an overall fan of the Feather range or razors and blades, although I have never used a Feather straight. But generally, yes, if I saw a Super Adjustable going cheap, I'd pick it up and shave with it. Try and stop me Smile

0 1,769
 01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
On another forum that I frequent regularly the consensus seems to be that the Super Adjustable is the best of the Gillette Adjustables. Personally, I prefer the Fatboy, but it's always an individual call.

- Murray

4 1,150
 01-22-2014, 01:50 AM
User Info
Shaun... I still don't understand the "plastic" issue.

A pre-1977 Super adjustable is made of metal, very much like the Slim. They are commonly seen at ebay, and usually they sell for much less than a Fatboy.

Here's a picture from the Mr. razor website:

[Image: 1975%20Super%20Adjustable%20V1%20British%20Set.jpg]

Perhaps the black handle can be misleading for some people? That is not plastic nor rubber, it is just a layer of paint, lacquer or whatever, very much like the black handle SuperSpeeds.

2 5,547
 01-22-2014, 03:15 AM
User Info
The handle feels like plastic, albeit a very nice plastic, on a Super Adjustable. Nice and grippy, but I prefer the aesthetics of a metal handle like the Slim.

53 1,199
 01-22-2014, 03:22 AM
User Info
Humm... even though it's not plastic... it all comes down to psychological factors, I guess.

I wonder why the Wilkinson Sticky reaches such high prices on ebay, then... after all, that one really is plastic. Wink

2 5,547
 01-22-2014, 04:02 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(01-22-2014, 01:50 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Shaun... I still don't understand the "plastic" issue.

A pre-1977 Super adjustable is made of metal, very much like the Slim. They are commonly seen at ebay, and usually they sell for much less than a Fatboy.

Here's a picture from the Mr. razor website:

[Image: 1975%20Super%20Adjustable%20V1%20British%20Set.jpg]

Perhaps the black handle can be misleading for some people? That is not plastic nor rubber, it is just a layer of paint, lacquer or whatever, very much like the black handle SuperSpeeds.

Quite so. You'll see I used inverted commas around the word 'plastic', and am assured that they are very good shavers...I also said I would use one and possibly buy one Smile I like the way they look. I was saying though that many like the metal look more. I prefer it too.

0 1,769
 01-22-2014, 04:26 AM
User Info
Wanted to add that I loved my Super Adjustable (including the handle), its a fantastic shaver and a smart buy since these are typically cheaper than a Slim.

But they were redundant and needed to sell one, was sad to see it go.

53 1,199
 01-22-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
(01-22-2014, 04:26 AM)david1201 Wrote: Wanted to add that I loved my Super Adjustable (including the handle), its a fantastic shaver and a smart buy since these are typically cheaper than a Slim.

may i ask why do you think it redundant if you love it?

7 1,624
 01-22-2014, 07:15 AM
User Info
The Slim and Super Adjustable have the same head, shave the same to my experience.

(01-22-2014, 06:58 AM)tonsorius Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 04:26 AM)david1201 Wrote: Wanted to add that I loved my Super Adjustable (including the handle), its a fantastic shaver and a smart buy since these are typically cheaper than a Slim.

may i ask why do you think it redundant if you love it?

53 1,199
 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM
User Info
(01-22-2014, 03:22 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Humm... even though it's not plastic... it all comes down to psychological factors, I guess.

I wonder why the Wilkinson Sticky reaches such high prices on ebay, then... after all, that one really is plastic. Wink

Because its magic plastic, smooth yet grippy when wet...........witchcraft I tell you.........Biggrin

I am also a fan of the S.A and have a Q1 I use.

3 198