04-29-2012, 08:12 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I feel pretty comfortable with double edge razors at the moment. I can get very smooth shaves with my ARC Weber, the fat handle Tech, and the Fatboy. So I've decided to take a break from the double edge and learn to love the single edge. After the very generous donation of an OCMM from Mark which has only been used once or twice so far with only decent results.

So, I hereby declare Tuesday, May 1st through Thursday May 31st to be Single-Edge May! Anybody is welcome to join at any time with any sort of single edge or injector razor. If you don't have one, maybe now is a good time to pick one up and try it out! Due to their lesser popularity they are very cheap and easy to find. The rules are simple:
  • Use a Single Edge razor throughout the month of May
  • Report back in this thread with your thoughts, wisdom, reviews, and new findings pertaining to single edge razors
  • Post SOTD in the normal thread and link to it here with any sort of discussion you wish

Personally, I plan on using one razor per week to get the feel of it. I'll be using Gem and Pal blades most likely through this month. with my line up being:

Ever Ready 1924 Flip-Top - First to be used.
Gem 1912
Gem Open Comb MicroMatic
and my most recent acquisition (literally 25 minutes before writing this post) a cased Gem...something? It looks cool though!

If all goes well (which I imagine it probably will in the end) I'll likely be wanting to expand my SE collection, so I'll be on constant watch on ebay.
[Image: 5bt56l.jpg]

[Image: fZhggl.jpg]

35 1,732
 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Anthony, I will be watching your reviews/experiences with interest.

173 23,553
 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
Want to make it a challenge to help give you some incentive? I bet we can get a few more SE users in on it if you say the word. No need to post our SOTD here, but we can link to it. Personnally I'll enjoy being called away from DE blade testing. And you didn't even need to twist my arm very hard did you?

Post pics of the new razor and we may be able to identify it if you can't.

I hope you like aggressive razors! If so, you're in for a treat, if not, a month of styptic pencil. Biggrin

32 6,311
 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I'm all game for a challenge! It will be hard to resist my DEs for an entire month. I agree, links to SOTD posts would be best to prevent clogging this thread up. If I can get a couple more interested I'll edit my original post to be a true challenge.

Here's a couple more pics from the auction posting of the new SE Gem. The head looks like a 1912, but I've never seen this handle before.

[Image: N3QMwl.jpg]

[Image: 3qbiel.jpg]

35 1,732
 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
Looks like a 1912. Is there anything printing on the back of the head?

32 6,311
 04-29-2012, 09:36 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Unfortunately there's no good view of the back of the head. The bottom of the ring the handle screws into says "pat'd 1912" though. I'll know for sure when it arrives later this week. What I'd really like to round out the collection with and be my 4th weeks razor is either a push button or a streamline/jewel. There's a few auctions I have my eye on for those.

35 1,732
 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM
User Info
Well, you definitely have another 1912. If it was a Damaskeene it would say that inside where the blade resides. The cover that comes down appears to be curved. If so it's a straight 1912. If it's got a flat (uncurved cover) and the back of the head says Junior, then that's the 1912 it is. They all shave fine. The 1912 is the most aggressive, the Jr is the Goldilocks razor and the closed comb Damaskeene is the mildest. I never used an open comb damaskeen so I can't tell you about that.

Remember the challenge is just to give you support.

32 6,311
 04-30-2012, 03:09 AM
User Info
Perfect timing for me, I'm in. Been spending a lot of time with the slant recently & my SEs feel neglected. Well, now May will fix that. Yesterday I used my Gem Enigma (I call it that since we don't know the official name, but most call it the G-bar) and today I'm trying a Schick I2 HydroMagic that I won from John here in the Nook.

Alright Anthony! Let's help you get those original safety razors figured out!

31 7,914
 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Awesome, Brian! I've updated my initial post hopefully making it more inviting for everyone!

To start it off, here's my first SE SOTD for this challenge!

I thought using both of my EverReady tools would be a great start to this challenge. The razor, which I have used before, is probably my most mild SE, so I felt it would be the best one to start with. I had a great three pass shave with one small weeper on my chin. Overall my face it nice and smooth with the only roughness being on the sides of my chin where I normally have trouble.

A good start, I'm looking forward to this month!

35 1,732
 04-30-2012, 09:31 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
I'm in. To mix things up I'll use the "standard" SE's and also break out some of the collection that requires more blade modification. I'm going to start things out today with the Hero SE I found last week. The plating isn't in the greatest shape, but everything looks to be straight.

1 73
 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
User Info
I'm in also, but tomorrow I must finish off a DE blade test that I'm at the tail end of. So I'll actually begin on the 2nd.

Andy, the Hero razor, is it the full LC or the small LC? If it's the full LC it's identical to my Kampfe Cru-Steel. Nice shave, but it was a bear for me to tame. Hopefully I'll have mine back from the plater in time for this.

32 6,311
 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM
User Info
Great idea, guys! Unfortunately, i just sold my SEs, but i still have my Cobra and two injector razors, so i may take you up on the challenge. Let me think about it.

75 20,883
 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(04-30-2012, 09:39 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Andy, the Hero razor, is it the full LC or the small LC? If it's the full LC it's identical to my Kampfe Cru-Steel. Nice shave, but it was a bear for me to tame. Hopefully I'll have mine back from the plater in time for this.

From what I can tell, it's more or less identical to the Cru-Steel razor. My first try was a resounding success. After the first couple strokes, I held the head almost flat against my face, the little tab that holds the blade in place was just barely touching the skin. Even with full ATG I felt no pulling or tugging at all. Super close irritation free shave. I might have to look into plating for this one to keep it going!

1 73
 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Welcome Brian, Andy, and possibly celestino! We are going to have some unique SOTD's coming up it seems!

Speaking of non-standard SE razors, I remember that I have a Rolls Razor I found at a local antique shop in great shape. I may hone and strop it for a few minutes a day for the next couple weeks to be sure it has a good edge and try it out during Single Edge May.

35 1,732
 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
User Info
What a shame they're steel under the plating. Once the plating is gone they start to corrode under the remaining plating. If you like it and it's worn I'd get it replated sooner rather than later.

32 6,311
 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(04-30-2012, 11:28 AM)Tonality Wrote: Welcome Brian, Andy, and possibly celestino! We are going to have some unique SOTD's coming up it seems!

Speaking of non-standard SE razors, I remember that I have a Rolls Razor I found at a local antique shop in great shape. I may hone and strop it for a few minutes a day for the next couple weeks to be sure it has a good edge and try it out during Single Edge May.

A word of advise with the Rolls, take some extra care when flipping the blade on the hone. If it slaps down hard it can cause damage to the edge. Once it's down flat on the stone, pull/push fast to get a bit more pressure on the blade. It takes a long time to get the edge back on the factory set up, but well worth it when you do!

1 73
 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
User Info
I'll make a compromise and use an SE razor when I'm not using a straight (which is a sort of SE, anyway).

Whaddya say? Good enough? Biggrin

37 1,731
 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I shaved with a SE for the first time a few days age. It was a good shave but I found it much more challenging. Especially around my upper lip.

45 3,955
 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(04-30-2012, 05:17 PM)tgutc Wrote: I shaved with a SE for the first time a few days age. It was a good shave but I found it much more challenging. Especially around my upper lip.

Challenging is perfect for this. By making yourself stick to the SE you can hone your technique and be able to get that upper lip down to an art!

35 1,732
 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info

[Image: 478892ce.jpg]

31 7,914