01-22-2014, 10:38 AM
User Info
I've had a number of different watches, including Rolexes, Seikos, Breitlings, and Omegas, but I've sort of settled now on Luminox Atacama Field Chronographs, which just feel exactly right to me. So I thought I'd share an image of them.
[Image: if7afHE.jpg]

198 12,075
 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
User Info
Wow, John! Those are lovely watches!
The furthest one on the right of the pic would look great will my All-Black shaving gear set-up! Biggrin

By the way, why do you prefer these to the others?

80 20,986
 01-22-2014, 10:47 AM
User Info
Nice John! I like them all and feel as if I should add the blue face to my list Biggrin

192 1,588
 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
User Info
(01-22-2014, 10:43 AM)celestino Wrote: Wow, John! Those are lovely watches!
The furthest one on the right of the pic would look great will my All-Black shaving gear set-up! Biggrin

By the way, why do you prefer these to the others?

They just have a 'Goldilocks' feel and look for me, serious but not pretentious, solid but not clunky, attractive but not too fancy, and they keep nearly perfect time.

198 12,075
 01-22-2014, 10:50 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Beautiful John.

I too love watches, and unfortunately my love of them rarely matches up my pocketbook...

17 1,177
 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM
User Info
(01-22-2014, 10:49 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: They just have a 'Goldilocks' feel and look for me, serious but not pretentious, solid but not clunky, attractive but not too fancy, and they keep nearly perfect time.

* Thanks for your views on the watches. Smile

80 20,986
 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM
User Info
(01-22-2014, 10:50 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: Beautiful John.

I too love watches, and unfortunately my love of them rarely matches up my pocketbook...

Same. I had a Breitling Super Avenger for a while but sold it. Loved that watch. I'd love to get a Breiling 6.75 with Havana face and brown leather strap or Panerai.

Then there is dream watches like Hublot and Audemars. I wish..
Blush

12 848
 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I too sold off my Rolex. I started to worry that I was just inviting someone to hit me on the head when I wore it.For me an old Timex keeps just as good time and I feel safer. Actually, since I retired I seldom wear a watch anymore. When I was working everything I did was time dependent. Retired I am free and do not have to constantly know and keep track of time. Most days the time display on my cell phone serves my needs.

64 990
 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
John, those are beautiful watches. Of those you've shown us, my favorite is on the far left. I have many watches but mine are simply cheap and cheerful. I get a lot of pleasure from them and, unlike Barry, many of my friends, and others, I am not interested in using my cell phone as a watch replacement. (I know, I know, I'm a Luddite. Sad )

2 11,211
 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Very nice watches, John!

Never did have a Luminox, but those are beautiful.

26 4,764
 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(01-22-2014, 11:20 AM)freddy Wrote: John, those are beautiful watches. Of those you've shown us, my favorite is on the far left. I have many watches but mine are simply cheap and cheerful. I get a lot of pleasure from them and, unlike Barry, many of my friends, and others, I am not interested in using my cell phone as a watch replacement. (I know, I know, I'm a Luddite. Sad )
It's not the watch I rebel against. It's being time locked to finish my tasks. I am enjoying my time retired so much. I just don't want to be reminded of schedules. I think that's why I like Vegas so much no clocks. The first time I went to Vegas I was eating breakfast and the guy at the next table was eating a steak. We looked at each others plates and promptly both of us looked at our watches. Now who cares eat when I am hungry sleep when I am tired.

64 990
 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Nice watches John! At one time I had one helluva watch collection, complete with Rolex Yachtmaster, Panerai Power Reserve (old center sweep model), vintage Rado from my deceased Grandad, and many others. I say had because it was stolen, and the worst of it all is that I didn't itemize the watches on my policy, so I was SOL with those...this happened 10 years ago and I'm still sick about it...

So I'm slowly rebuilding my collection, and here's one of my watches (and my current favorite watch), that I'm wearing today:

[Image: zubeqy7y.jpg]

27 860
 01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-22-2014, 11:32 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 11:20 AM)freddy Wrote: John, those are beautiful watches. Of those you've shown us, my favorite is on the far left. I have many watches but mine are simply cheap and cheerful. I get a lot of pleasure from them and, unlike Barry, many of my friends, and others, I am not interested in using my cell phone as a watch replacement. (I know, I know, I'm a Luddite. Sad )
It's not the watch I rebel against. It's being time locked to finish my tasks. I am enjoying my time retired so much. I just don't want to be reminded of schedules. I think that's why I like Vegas so much no clocks. The first time I went to Vegas I was eating breakfast and the guy at the next table was eating a steak. We looked at each others plates and promptly both of us looked at our watches. Now who cares eat when I am hungry sleep when I am tired.

Barry, I do that now, but always with a watch on. Winky

By the way, my friend from Scotland and I will be going to Las Vegas next month and even though we both wear watches and don't really gamble (we like the light, not the dark), you're right; there is something about Las Vegas where I can never remember either of us having a need to look at a watch to see what time it is.

2 11,211
 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-22-2014, 11:40 AM)freddy Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 11:32 AM)Barrylu Wrote:

By the way, my friend from Scotland and I will be going to Las Vegas next month and even though we both wear watches and don't really gamble (we like the light, not the dark), you're right; there is something about Las Vegas where I can never remember either of us having a need to look at a watch to see what time it is.

Freddy, when will you be in Vegas? My wife and I are going over Valentines day weekend (yes, I know and agree, I'm a romantic) and if you're there then, I'd love to see if I can catch up to you and have a beer with you.

27 860
 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-22-2014, 11:42 AM)ojinsa Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 11:40 AM)freddy Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 11:32 AM)Barrylu Wrote: It's not the watch I rebel against. It's being time locked to finish my tasks. I am enjoying my time retired so much. I just don't want to be reminded of schedules. I think that's why I like Vegas so much no clocks. The first time I went to Vegas I was eating breakfast and the guy at the next table was eating a steak. We looked at each others plates and promptly both of us looked at our watches. Now who cares eat when I am hungry sleep when I am tired.

Freddy, when will you be in Vegas? My wife and I are going over Valentines day weekend (yes, I know and agree, I'm a romantic) and if you're there then, I'd love to see if I can catch up to you and have a beer with you.

We'll be leaving Vegas very early on Valentine's Day.

2 11,211
 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
User Info
Nice collection! Watches were my main hobby until I found shaving. A few of my babies:

[Image: Bathys+New+Strap.JPG]

[Image: IMAGE_0FED2A2F-F498-4A71-915B-7973428DBC8C.JPG]

50 1,146
 01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
I like watches but only own a $10 Casio.

Given a choice I would go for a simple 60's Rolex with 15xx movement, or an early 40s Gruen Veri-Thin.
[Image: CIMG6110.JPG]
[Image: CIMG8362.JPG]

1 239
 01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Very nice John!!

I have had my Omega Seamaster Titane since 1986. They only made the titanium and gold cases and all titanium bands for a couple of years. It is so light, you hardly know you have it on. It has over 1,000 scuba dives under its belt.

[Image: OmegaSeamasterTitane_zps360f1eda.jpg]

4 2,511
 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-22-2014, 11:48 AM)freddy Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 11:42 AM)ojinsa Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 11:40 AM)freddy Wrote: Barry, I do that now, but always with a watch on. Winky

We'll be leaving Vegas very early on Valentine's Day.

We get in Thursday afternoon (2/13). I'll PM you later to find out the particulars...

27 860
 01-22-2014, 01:55 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I've loved time pieces since I was a young boy, so thank you all for the photos.

I don't have any exotics, myself, but my treasure is a 1912 model 992 Hamilton railroad watch that is in beautiful condition.

I also have the Caravelle 17-jewel, manual-wind watch, made by Bullova, that I got for Christmas 51 years ago when I was eleven. I wore it traveling around Latin American in 1973, when I lived in South America between 1975 and 1977, and in Portugal between 1978 and 1981. I fell into the Amazon River between a couple of boats and slammed it against the hull of one of them as I went down. A couple of years later, back in the US, when I blanched at the cost of a cleaning and a new crown, the jeweler remarked that the works were worth it. I have been wearing this watch for the last couple of years in recognition of its half-century in my possession. In the case of this watch, it's the personal history that makes it dear.

A problem I have when contemplating most of the new men's watches is that I am very fine boned and my wrist is only about 7" around. As such, most modern men's watches are huge. My Caravelle, made before men's watches started growing so large, is only about 33mm across.

- Murray

4 1,150