01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Last evening I stopped by my local Antiques shop and found a Schick Hydro Magic P19 razor so I bought it. I rushed home and cleaned the little bugger and inserted a blade and at first thought I made a grave error... It seemed like almost the full blade was exposed and that the blade gap was enormous...it looked more menacing than my FaTip, and so I was apprehensive about using it. This morning I used a bit of Gillette Shave Cream from Argentina and made my first WTG pass very carefully...It was smooth!

So I relathered and went for my second XTG pass with a little more abandon, still smooth..I felt the blade, but not the irritation so I decided on trying a 3rd pass ATG. I rinsed, applied my normal drop of pre-shave oil, relathered and went about the ATG pass very slowly, but soon realized that even though a lot of blade was showing the angle was so intuitive that I needn't worry about speed. I just went about my normal shave speed adjusting the angle as I went on my neck and jawline and I got a spectacular (read 'the best') first shave with a new razor ever!

I usually get irritation on my jawline and neck, no matter the razor or blade, but not with this razor... I got a BBS 3-pass shave...My Windsor splash didn't sting anywhere...

I used a Chinese Schick Injector blade
Discontinued Gillette Creme De Afeitar from Argentina
Muehle Synthetic STF V2 in 19mm
Windsor AS
No balm as I got no irritation at all.

I'll post a pic when I get home this evening..

I suppose I'll be looking for more Hydro-Magic's now...

74 1,523
 01-22-2014, 12:12 PM
User Info
Congrats on a great first first shave with the Hydromagic! I will say that the injectors are far different than the Gem & EverReady family of SE razors, but they all shave well, very well! Now you need to try different injectors and start looking for a 1912, Micromatic, etc. Just be careful because these babies multiply! :-)

[Image: 6j7nBH3.jpg]

69 2,194
 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM
User Info
Jeremy...I'll take that shiny one next to the Schick Adjustable off your hands if you think you have too many! Wink

47 385
 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM
User Info
(01-22-2014, 01:12 PM)CJames Wrote: Jeremy...I'll take that shiny one next to the Schick Adjustable off your hands if you think you have too many! Wink

You are very thoughtful buddy, I will have to keep that in mind if I ever get tired of it. Never!!! Thanks for your kindness. :-)

69 2,194
 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM
User Info
I love injectors, much more so than DE's. I just can't get along with modern injector blades. The day the NOS Schick Plus Platinum blade supply dried up was the day I entered razor free fall.

That Streamline is something, certainly the most beautiful SE of them all.

29 1,776