04-29-2012, 10:18 PM
User Info
We complain about the prices of cartridge razors and look down on those who do use cartridge razors and foam shaving creams, yet we buy hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of safety and straight razors, creams/soaps, brushes and aftershaves.

Wet shaving was supposed to be $$$ saver from what I learned watching Mantic59's videos a long time ago, yet this has turned out to be nothing of such sort. In fact, I've spent more on traditional wet shaving soaps, creams brushes, and aftershaves than I would have with canned shaving creams and a razor. It was simpler, more affordable and less trendy and metrosexual.

Anyone see the irony here?

0 128
 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
On one hand I see what you mean but I think many here including me just wanted a better way to shave without the razor burns and bumps.
But I don't think we are hypocrites.

0 126
 04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
User Info
You can save money using a DE razor, just as you can row across the Atlantic to save the airfare...

In short, I knew going in that DE shaving wasn't going to be an invitation to be printing money - but I knew that I would highly likely get a much better shave and a much better experience for my hard earned money, and I set my monthly allowance at the level where it was when I bought replacement cartridges every other week. I don't look down on the people still using cartridges and canned goo - YMMV and all that - but I do pity those who do so and are not getting a good, enjoyable shave out of it!

Also, apart from stocking up on more blades, I could stop buying supplies today and be set for a few years with no further outlay of money. Where is the fun in that?

3 7,288
 04-30-2012, 01:36 AM
User Info
Traditional wetshaving can certainly save the average person a ton of money. Thing is, most people who frequent traditional shaving forums are far more passionate about traditional shaving than the average person which is why so many people here are heavy spenders. People here would have hardly anything to talk about if they didn't invest much money into their hobby.

I'll be saving money as soon as I've tested out most of the classics and have found everything that works best for me. A big shaving "rotation" appeals to me, but I can't, at this time in my life, afford having such a big one like many of the people on shaving forums have.

0 214
 04-30-2012, 04:12 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I converted to traditional shaving two years ago, yes it was
to save money over the cost of cartridges. Yes, I am saving money from not buying cartridges. Traditional wet shaving has become so much then saving money.

For my it is the joy and pleasure of having a great shaving each morning. It is also about looking my absolute best day.

Wet shaving is very personal, yes one can spend big dollars. It is about your personal choices, how much you are willing to invest. Yes, one can invest high amounts of money if they so chose. Personally it is not about the cost it is about the joy of wet shaving. I have reached that joy without a huge outlay of money.

I do not consider myself a hypocrite at all. I enjoy traditional wet shaving, the choices that are available.
I enjoy the joy of shaving each morning, that was never possible using cartridges.

1 3,507
 04-30-2012, 04:16 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think for most, the traditional shaving journey moves from the initial "I can save money at this" to "hey, I actually enjoy shaving now". It has for me.

116 3,804
 04-30-2012, 04:35 AM
User Info
(04-30-2012, 04:16 AM)Dave Wrote: I think for most, the traditional shaving journey moves from the initial "I can save money at this" to "hey, I actually enjoy shaving now". It has for me.

Well said. Our motivations can certainly change.

31 8,065
 04-30-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
 04-30-2012, 06:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
No we are not.

Take the average Joe that uses the latest Gillette multi-blade razor and whatever canned cream/gel you want. This average Joe pretty much sticks to one brand of razor and blade (until another latest & greatest) product is introduced.

Now, take an old fart like me. Before shaving forums I used one brush, one brand of soap, and one brand of razor. Over the course of 12 months I spent far less money than the average Joe above.

Here is the difference. To the average Joe, shaving is a chore, something that has to be done as quickly as possible.

To us it is a pleasure. Something we prepare for and enjoy doing every morning.

Hypocrite, no. Happy, yes.

187 26,221
 04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-29-2012, 11:32 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: You can save money using a DE razor, just as you can row across the Atlantic to save the airfare...

24 Exactly.

53 21,655
 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Its ironic but I think not hypocritical. Because for most forum guys traditional wetshaving initially is a way to save money but it becomes an interest or hobby. Most outside of it though would consider it kinda cracked to be so way off into shaving.

15 549
 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ironically, I did not get into wet shaving to save money, as many did. It was just plain curiosity to see what shaving with a brush and shave soap would be like. Indeed, for the first few months after getting a brush, pre-shave oil, and shaving soap I continued to use my Gillette Mach 3 razor (the latest and greatest at the time) and then a Gillette Fusion. The shaving soap I purchased was Caswell-Massey Almond. Except for a great scent, the product was awful. However, I didn't know any better and I truly loved the brush and bowl experience.

After a few months, I discovered the forums. Through that discovery came much better soaps (and creams) and DE and SE razors. I even dabbled in straight razors but decided that straights weren't for me.

Has this cost me money? Sure. Was that ever part of the equation for me? Not really. Have there been benifits that multi-blade cartridges and canned goo cannot offer? Absolutely. To name one, the number of samples that many have sent to me at no cost and the reciprocation of those incredibly kind gestures.

Rather than being hypocritical, for some isn't the thought of saving money just the first step on a wonderful journey?

2 5,000
 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
No, I'd say we're not all hypocritical. Are there some hypocrites on the forums? I'm sure. In addition to the people who preach frugality and buy a ton of soaps and razors, there are people who run down the "sheeple" using cartridges but holler YMMV! as soon as someone disagrees with their choices.

Some of those people are prolific and "loud." But I think most of us here are comfortable with the fact that this has gone beyond simple hygiene and into the realms of hobby, nostalgia, ritual or mental health self-care. Or a combination of them!

Personally, I got into traditional shaving because I have to keep regularly shaved and neat because I'm a high level technical resource/low level manager where I work. I needed to find a way that shaving could be less of a chore, so I wouldn't hate it every morning while getting ready, or try to skip it. Lucky me, it turned out to actually be enjoyable.

10 1,858
 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
User Info
Well, in line with what Songbird wrote, if someone continues to preach about the cost savings while buying oodles of gear, then yes, that would be hypocritical.

But to get into blade shaving because one can no longer tolerate the gouging that the cartridge companies put most folks through every day, then spending lots for gear. No that's not hypocritical.

I was on eof the latter, I didn't like the current state of affairs of expensive carts and the shave just not being there, so I decided to not putmyself through it anymore and I researched alternatives. The intent was also to save $, but the enjoyment took hold and the thrust changed.

So to boil it down and answer your question, maybe, but probably not.

32 6,604
 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Honestly,I didn get into proper wet shaving to save money either, but to enjoy shaving,have a time of "relax" while shaving and also taking care of facial skin.

94 7,477
 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I enjoy spending money on wet shaving because it's my #1 hobby. I did not enjoy spending an absurd amount on cartridge razors because I hated everything about them. So no I don't feel like a hipocrite even though I spend much more on wet shaving supplies. If I had onlym what I requried wet shaving would be much much cheaper. It is my choice to spend hundreds probably even thousands of dollars.

45 3,955
 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(04-30-2012, 04:35 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(04-30-2012, 04:16 AM)Dave Wrote: I think for most, the traditional shaving journey moves from the initial "I can save money at this" to "hey, I actually enjoy shaving now". It has for me.

Well said. Our motivations can certainly change.
+ *infinity*
Biggrin

...are we not Hypocrites... we are DEVO... D E V O

9 1,684
 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
Before wet shaving, I HAD to shave everyday - an unwritten rule in my line of work. It was a daily chore and I was rewarded with razor burns and ingrown hairs. Those two bothered me and distracted me even during meetings/conversations. So I googled and landed on a wetshaving blog/board. There on, it took a life of its own.

Now I ENJOY the morning shave everyday. It has cost me more than what I invested in cartridges but hopefully I will stop once I find my perfect comboLaughing12424. Perhaps not, but I am sure the value (benefits to cost) proposition is better!

0 41
 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM
User Info
I am settled into a moderate variety and will probably try a new thing here or there (such as Mike's Natural Soaps that I've been eyeing).

49 1,269
 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I did not get into wet shaving to save money either but rather for the gadget factor. I simply thought using a brush, soap and a DE razor was neat. At the time, I had no idea how much was out there and it quickly turned into a hobby, thanks in large part to the forums.

53 21,655