01-23-2014, 07:31 AM
User Info
I would like to throw a brush together. The thing is who is a dependable supplier of both Handle and Knot? I have a problem with TGN, because the wooden handles show up but when you click on the picture it states "Sorry, Product not found" . I also read a complaint against their Knots.

0 295
 01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
(01-23-2014, 07:31 AM)BigMark Wrote: I would like to throw a brush together. The thing is who is a dependable supplier of both Handle and Knot? I have a problem with TGN, because the wooden handles show up but when you click on the picture it states "Sorry, Product not found" . I also read a complaint against their Knots.

TGN provides a very quality knot at their price point. WSP (Wet Shaving Products) has some great knots as well. They also sell handles. They are priced a little higher, but quality is also higher IMO. What I have always done with my customs is choose a knot ( I usually use WSP) and find an artisan to custom make a handle for you to place the knot in. There are many artisans, but the two I have used and been very satisfied with are Rudy Vey and Peter Wolf.

47 385
 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Personally I love Tony's work. He offers knots on the golden nib, and finished pieces on his other site penworks.

I have several of his brushes (and several other brands) in our household. Personally my go-to brush and all time favorite is one of his brushes! But several years ago I took my hubby's great grandfathers shaving set (handle and mug) from the china hutch and sent Tony the handle to fit it with the right size knot for the metal handle that lost it's knot.... who knows when but least to say long before we inherited it. I presented it to my hubby for his birthday. Although we have quite a number of brushes to select from he uses that brush and only that brush daily, or well almost daily and it's still going strong. He was thrilled that I did that for him as he wasn't a wet shaver when we inherited it. I was dusting the china hutch one day and the light bulb went on as to what it was and it's function. Now both are used and appreciated.

The mug matches the handle of the brush but in this photo I used his brush as a prop for an old spice pict with an old spice mug. I don't know when the set was purchased or even where as his relatives came from Europe but it's nice to know they are still being used today with a badger knot put into the handle.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...Spice1.jpg

The only issue I have with his brushes isn't so much his fault as I found a cup with water and my favorite go-to brush soaking in it knot side down! Yep my son was playing with it in his bath and left it and I'm not sure how long it sat there as it was on the floor tucked behind the shower curtain. (outer shower curtain reaches the floor and kinda of puddles on the floor with a small shelf next to it) So it may have been soaking for a week plus a few days perhaps before I found it. The glue loosened up but I just added some gorilla glue, (I think that was the one I used) and fixed it, and all is right with the world again.

7 405
 01-23-2014, 12:56 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have made many brushes. Some using vintage handles and a few I made my own handles for. I used TGN two band finest for each and every one of those brushes and have nothing but praise for TGN two band knot quality and customer service. TGN two band finest are some of the best values in shaving brushes out there, IMO.

Here are some links to my brush builds:

Ever-Ready 650PB Restore

Home made wooden brush: TGN two band finest 18mm/45mm

Home made wooden brush: TGN two band finest 24mm/49mm

Black and White N. S Y. Brush restore

26 1,739