04-30-2012, 05:31 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Today's shave was pure silk sprinkled with a touch of mystery.

I have shaved with the Weber for a while and enjoyed close and comfortable shaves. Not until today, however, did I realize what a superb razor the Weber is. I am astonished it took me this long to make my conclusion.

The razor has the right aggressive quality for me, as well as also being forgiving. Mine is the Bulldog handle edition of the Weber. The balance and the weight are also just right for my hands.

Today I paired the razor with a Derby blade on its second run. Pure silk. I still can't get over the delightful shave.

I am sure there was more to the quality of my shave than just the razor and the blade. The shave cream mystified me. I found a tiny sample tub of this shave cream in my stash yesterday and thought I should give it a try. This is more like a hard cream.

The brush I used was my lovely 22 mm. Thater silver tip. I face lathered, with the Moss scuttle to keep things warm. The cream lathered well, with plenty of moisture. Cushion and glide were exceptional. I also liked the lavender fragrance. Much later, my face feels like the kiss of an angel.

The tiny writing on the tiny sample jar reads T & N. Below it: lavender shave cream. For the life of me I can't figure out what this is. I could be staring at it and not seeing it, too. How and where I got it I don't know. I have a feeling Phil sent it to me with one of my purchases.

Oh, Phil, did you by chance send me this delightful cream?

When I add everything together, these words come to mine: Today's shave was exquisite.

Stay well,
Obie

132 2,614
 04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Obie

Was it an Weber ARC or a DLC head?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello Mike,
Mine has the DLC shave head — the black one.
Stay well,
Obie

132 2,614
 05-01-2012, 06:56 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-30-2012, 08:54 AM)Obie Wrote: Mine has the DLC shave head — the black one.

Hi Obie

Thank you Smile

That's the one I have. I also find it provides excellent shaves...

I'm currently deciding if to pull the trigger on an ARC head (with Bulldog handle), a couple of people I know have both and say the ARC head gives an even better shave (only marginally so, but they swear they end up with a slightly better shave).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM
User Info
I had an exchange of emails with Ed at Weber and he said that he will be selling just the ARC/DLC head without the handle in June/July. I already have a handle and the DLC head so I just want the ARC head.

9 1,199
 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Randy,
Thank you for this information. I will consider the ARC, too. I have spare handle in my stash.
Obie

132 2,614
 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 08:51 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I had an exchange of emails with Ed at Weber and he said that he will be selling just the ARC/DLC head without the handle in June/July. I already have a handle and the DLC head so I just want the ARC head.

This is great news, thanks for this info. I am in the same situation (also have a few random handles that I really like) but want to add the ARC head to the collection. I think it would go well with the Tradere handle I have.

5 78
 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
people are realizing that the weber is a wonderful shaver. I think its better than anything else out there.

1 265
 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
User Info
Thanks for the information, Obie!

75 20,883
 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
I got the ARC bulldog on Thursday and I'm floored by the experience and quality of the shave. It glides smoothly across the skin and doesn't get hung up in areas where other razors might skip or tug. I've used it with different creams (Proraso, Musgo Real, Valobra) and the end results the same.

And the end result rivals my slant but without the weepers or irritation. And the results seem to last longer too.

I think this should be a newbie's first razor. And of course it's highly recommended or vets too.

72 1,407
 05-06-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
Weird thing about the Weber is there's nothing glamorous,exotic or nostalgic about it,almost feels like a Made In America implement I grabbed out of my toolbox.My technique can be lousy,I can be lazy,half asleep and barely pay attention to what I'm doing and get a close smooth shave with zero irritation.

That's not the way shaving's supposed to be....Or is it ?

7 414
 05-06-2012, 05:54 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-06-2012, 05:08 AM)razorx Wrote: Weird thing about the Weber is there's nothing glamorous,exotic or nostalgic about it,almost feels like a Made In America implement I grabbed out of my toolbox.My technique can be lousy,I can be lazy,half asleep and barely pay attention to what I'm doing and get a close smooth shave with zero irritation.

Indeed, right you are. The Weber is nothing fancy, but it is effective. I regard the Weber as a meat-and-potato shaver that satisfies in every respect. The workmanship reminds me of that on the great Gillettes: true American workmanship.

My only criticism of Weber is the lack of response to my correspondence from the folks there. I find that rude and unprofessional.

A good shave will be comfortable and without irritation. Good preparation, good razor and blade, plus proper post shave ritual combine to produce a delicious shave.

Stay well,
Obie

132 2,614
 05-06-2012, 08:53 AM
User Info
(05-06-2012, 05:54 AM)Obie Wrote:
(05-06-2012, 05:08 AM)razorx Wrote: Weird thing about the Weber is there's nothing glamorous,exotic or nostalgic about it,almost feels like a Made In America implement I grabbed out of my toolbox.My technique can be lousy,I can be lazy,half asleep and barely pay attention to what I'm doing and get a close smooth shave with zero irritation.

Indeed, right you are. The Weber is nothing fancy, but it is effective. I regard the Weber as a meat-and-potato shaver that satisfies in every respect. The workmanship reminds me of that on the great Gillettes: true American workmanship.

My only criticism of Weber is the lack of response to my correspondence from the folks there. I find that rude and unprofessional.

A good shave will be comfortable and without irritation. Good preparation, good razor and blade, plus proper post shave ritual combine to produce a delicious shave.

Stay well,
Obie
I've never had a problem communicating with Weber and have heard many positive comments about their customer service.Not sure when you tried contacting them but the purchase section of their site currently says:

"Our office is on break until May 12th.  We will resuming accepting orders and shipping then."

7 414
 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-06-2012, 08:53 AM)razorx Wrote:
(05-06-2012, 05:54 AM)Obie Wrote:

Stay well,
Obie
I've never had a problem communicating with Weber and have heard many positive comments about their customer service.Not sure when you tried contacting them but the purchase section of their site currently says:

"Our office is on break until May 12th.  We will resuming accepting orders and shipping then."

That could be why they have not responded. Perhaps they will respond when they return. I bought two razors from them and received a quick response. I've had trouble receiving a response when I send them a question. I remember, this happened one time before, when I received no response to an inquiry. I suppose I go by my own standards, which comprise of a quick response.
Well, anyway, I find the razor superb, especially for my type of beard.
Stay well and thanks for your comments.
Obie

132 2,614
 05-08-2012, 08:32 AM
User Info
I will get a Weber at some point, I just have other obligations at the moment. Something about feeding kids & sending them to school. Not like that's important! But I do like the way the Weber looks, and love the reviews

0 51
 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've got the DLC with Bulldog handle.

I just wish Weber would consider the same but with an OPEN COMB. Now that really would be MAGIC IMO!

I broached the subject with Weber, but was advised that it was not a trick they had up their sleeve and a look in to the Weber crystal ball did not reveal the likelihood of one in the future...

91 17,875
 05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
Scratch that "at some point" post I made above. I picked one up yesterday. It's in the mail, headed this way. You guys ruined me, I had to have one! I can blame all of you right?

0 51
 05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 01:57 PM)jbradley Wrote: Scratch that "at some point" post I made above. I picked one up yesterday. It's in the mail, headed this way. You guys ruined me, I had to have one! I can blame all of you right?

Absolutely! It's written somewhere in the Man Code.

9 1,199
 05-13-2012, 06:39 AM
User Info
The Weber will be the next addition after the Tradere, but it will have to wait. That will give me plenty of time to consider whether I prefer the aesthetics of the DLC over the perception (of only a few) that the ARC is a closer shaver. With my luck, by the time I can spring for one they will have jumped in price and will only be available in the newest coating, which may not even be the ARC by then. What do you think is next for Weber? Possibly BORC (blaze orange razor coating)?

3 195
 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM
User Info
Just ordered a Weber. You guys are killing me.

0 140