01-23-2014, 12:14 PM
User Info
What with the recent increase of hacks of retailers, including Target, some online tech bloggers are recommending use of prepaid credit cards (e.g. Chase Liquid), which might limit more the access of hackers to one's money. Such cards can be used at ATMs and for store or online purchases and just need to be reloaded with cash when depleted. Has anyone here had experience using such cards?

207 12,257
 01-23-2014, 12:26 PM
User Info
these hacks are terrible and frightening and tells us all how careless and stupid the whole transaction system works. we are again and again assured how 'safe + fast + fun' payments are - but it is far from true.

i have always had my visa card connected with a specific account and 'refill' when needed from my other accounts.

7 1,624
 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(01-23-2014, 12:14 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: What with the recent increase of hacks of retailers, including Target, some online tech bloggers are recommending use of prepaid credit cards (e.g. Chase Liquid), which might limit more the access of hackers to one's money. Such cards can be used at ATMs and for store or online purchases and just need to be reloaded with cash when depleted. Has anyone here had experience using such cards?
Cash is a good alternative when shopping locally. Nothing like counting out $1,000 in 20 bills to put a purchase in perspective.

1 239
 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
User Info
Only use I've had for prepaid cards was to use as gifts.. less flashy than a huge wad of bills to a niece when the other side of the family has... let's say "less money" to spend.

At least over here there are slightly higher usage fees on such cards than a regular card - or at least used to be that way.

3 4,479
 01-23-2014, 04:54 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I usually use a Paypal debit card and have it set to only use my Paypal balance and to NOT dip into my bank account/credit card. If for some reason I have no balance and need a quick purchase I can temporarily disable that setting and re-enable it after.
I've also stopped allowing companies to save my payment information, not that I ever really did, but some companies require it, and some get sneaky and auto select "save my information" if you're not careful.
The real kicker is, for many sites, even though you can add the info online, they will not allow you to remove it without calling customer service and jumping through hoops. Dodgy

Amazon was really the only company I allowed to save my info, but after recent happenings I've deleted it. I have to add it every time I shop, which is an inconvenience, but well worth it for security.

31 1,510
 01-23-2014, 06:19 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I have 2 and that's all I use to make on-line purchases and pay bills on-line.. I've used them for several years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I only load enough cash to operate and not much more. Everything in the flesh is by cash. If you don't mind paying the load fees and having to make a trip and load it not a bad deal really. (I look at it like going to the bank when I load). Also one of mine is a Pay Pal card and you can link it with your Pay Pal account. Load it at CVS when you're picking up some witch hazel....lol ... I just got that one and so far so good.

5 1,151
 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
User Info
I have a prepaid debit card that I have been using for online purchases for several years. I like that crooks can only get whatever balance is on the card and my actual bank accounts are protected. I can reload at several retail locations or from another account. You can get cash from an ATM if needed. These cards are accepted at any location that takes a credit card. Merchants can run them as credit or debit. Merchants are charged fees for accepting cards and the charges vary based on card type. I allow the merchant to choose how he/she wants to run the card. Check on the monthly fees. Some of the prepaid cards have a hefty monthly charge for having the card even if you don't use it. Some of the reload fees are ridiculous as well.

1 346
 01-24-2014, 02:04 PM
User Info
Do you get the ancillary benefits with a prepaid credit card that you do with a "regular" one? I almost single-handedly restored my credit through disciplined use and I wouldn't think there is a way to tie in a prepaid CC with a credit reporting bureau. Not to mention points or miles or any additional programs.

Plus it seems the real danger is with debit cards. At least with a CC, you can dispute the purchases. With debit cards they have access to your bank account.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
User Info
Credit card and self control is free way to go. Pay off balance every month and cash in rewards. I have an Amazon visa do I could theoretically buy shaving stuff with the rewards.

0 303
 01-24-2014, 06:58 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 04:24 PM)Face Bannon Wrote: Credit card and self control is free way to go. Pay off balance every month and cash in rewards. I have an Amazon visa do I could theoretically buy shaving stuff with the rewards.

Hmm self control? Not when you're saying that you're getting points on something I do a few times a week!! Applying now lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0 35