04-30-2012, 06:30 AM
User Info
Have you ever had the experience of doing something right the very first time. Hit a hole in one, sink a basket in Basketball from 50 feet away on the first attempt. Well, getting a BBS shave in one pass with no touchups is a rarity at least for me. My normal shave is 2 to 3 passes South to North with a few touch ups on a Slim set to 3 or 4. That is the shave that I am most comfortable with.

I have had two prior opportunities to have a BBS shave in one pass. Both were with my very aggressive (to me at least) PAL floating head razor. I rarely use that razor because it will leave me in bad shape if I use it two days in a row. Both times I got that one pass BBS my skin felt it the rest of the day. It was smooth but the blade did exfoliate rather well each time.

Today I was trying a combination of Gillette OC Head with a brand new Rapira Supersteel blade, my Muhle 33K257 Silvertip Fibre and Palmolive stick for a good face lather. I got my lather worked up well and went to work with short strokes from South to North with very light pressure. I have used OCs before and they are very efficient razors. After the first pass, I noticed a few small weepers that I will get if the razor/blade combination is really good. Washing my face with water, I noticed that when I rubbed up, there was no stubble, none. I was not expecting it, but there it was a BBS on the first pass. Wow!

Since I head shave, and have always noticed that that level of blade and razor combination that creates the type of face shave I had just received would cause a couple of areas to nick, I passed on using that combination for the head shave. I picked up my Trac II which I use frequently on head shaves and finished for the morning.

That Rapira Supersteel coupled with the OC head is a very potent combination for me. Now I am interested in tomorrow's shave.

[Image: 6982308572_42a1b600ab_b.jpg]

1 2,827
 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
User Info
I've been playing with a 3 pin Old since one was sent to me a few days ago. The first shave was with a Med Prep, today was with a vintage Schick with 6 shaves on the blade. The best I can ever do is 2 1/3 passes for a BBS, and as with you, if the razor is good and aggressive and the blade is ultra sharp I'll get one or 2 weepers for absolutely no reason other than the blade hit a micro bump and removed it.

Initially I thought the Old was as aggressive as the Muhle R41, but I no longer think so. It just shaves as good as the R41.

But the point of this rambling post, and to get back to your thread... I'd really like to get a 1 pass BBS, but I just can't. Too many whiskers poking out in every direction. It must be nice.

Yes, a few times I've had things like that happen, the stars align, whatever. Like shooting a perfect 300 and everything just felt perfect, the handgun was just an extension of the arm and the group just materialized all in the black. Magical when that stuff happens.

32 6,308
 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
User Info
Congrats and have a great shave, tomorrow! Open-combs are amazing!

75 20,883
 05-01-2012, 02:29 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Wow and I still find it amazing when I get a 4 pass BBS (very rare to get 100% BBS... stupid neck patches)

Congrats!

let us know how it goes!

0 253
 05-01-2012, 03:18 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Gary, south-to-north shaving is probably the only way I can possibly achieve a good (nevermind BBS) one-pass shave but the risk of irritation is not worth it. Besides, one pass means less time in the Nook! Undecided Good luck on your quest.

35 2,703
 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I did try a single pass south to north a couple weeks ago just to see how it turned out. I could get by, but definitely not BBS, closer to socially acceptable. So I went back & did a north-south, and another south-north before I was totally satisfied.

I'm still on my first package of Walgreen Stainless blades. I am anxiously awaiting the MVP Sampler that Phil sent off to me today.

But heck, I'm barely a month into this, so I think I have plenty of time to develop some technique & learn my equipment!

~Frank

18 271
 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
User Info
Congrats on the great shave!

47 1,270
 05-01-2012, 03:31 PM
User Info
I have always been told that proper shaving with a DE razor or a straight razor is about beard reduction on each pass. I can get a DFS with one pass and so long as I rub my hand with the grain then it is fine. When I touch my face and run my hand against the grain then I can easily tell that I still have lots of stubble so at best for me I can just get DFS.

0 123