01-23-2014, 07:23 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
First i hope this doesnt ruffle any feathers. But whats the draw to use a lavender, rose, flowery scented cream/soap i scratch my head and just dont get it. I would feel like i smelled like women all day. Again this is not a shot at anyone who likes them i m just curious mayby you can broaden my horizons. Thanks

118 1,708
 01-23-2014, 07:57 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I like rose and think the right rose scent is manly, at least it is to me Tongue

88 4,233
 01-23-2014, 07:59 PM
User Info
I love lavender but I do not like a straight up rose scent. I don't think lavender is feminine at all but I think rose is quite feminine. MdC is a lavender mint scent and many around here seem to enjoy it. My personal recommendation for lavender is Mike's Hungarian Lavender. Use that soap and let me know if you still don't get it!

63 1,721
 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
User Info
I think floral lavender and rose smell good; as simple as that. Also like violet, sandalwood, fougere, almond, and a number of others; again, because they smell good.

3 543
 01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
User Info
Toby, I don't know about lavender, rose, flowery scent, but Mystic Water's Sandalwood Rose is heavenly and not reminiscent of femininity, at all, for me. It just smells divine!
To me, I have never correlated any scent of shaving soap that I have tried, so far, to any gender once I face-lather it and start shaving! Nothing feminine about that; just a beautiful aroma while shaving. Biggrin

83 21,110
 01-23-2014, 08:51 PM
User Info
MW Sandwood Rose is very masculine!

I also have the bath soap.

0 191
 01-23-2014, 09:02 PM
User Info
(01-23-2014, 07:23 PM)Triad Wrote: First i hope this doesnt ruffle any feathers. But whats the draw to use a lavender, rose, flowery scented cream/soap i scratch my head and just dont get it. I would feel like i smelled like women all day. Again this is not a shot at anyone who likes them i m just curious mayby you can broaden my horizons. Thanks

I think that's a good question if you've never tried it before.

I love lavender scent. It's not as flowery as you think. The only rose scented product I have is Rose of Bulgaria SC. It's pleasant, but I can't say I love it.

One flowery scent I love is Lily of the Valley from Mystic Water. I bought it as a sample and was shocked at how much I loved it. I ended up buying a full puck.

I guess I have two points. some of these are not as flowery as they sound, even if they are flower scents. I was quite surprised at how much liked them. I think it'd be worth your while to order some "feminine" scented shaving soaps from Mystic Water or Mikes and try the out.

Second, the scent doesn't hang around all day, so you don't have to worry about smelling like an old woman at work. I don't usually smell the scent for very long after the shave.

0 836
 01-24-2014, 01:00 AM
User Info
Because they smell so great!

When I started wet shaving I also was sceptical but intrigued by all the floral scents and found to my great surprise that I really liked them.
For me the most feminine scent would be TOBS Avocados scent of myrtle.
I liked the rose scented creams and soaps immediately while lavender was a more aqcuired taste. Lavender is now my favourite scent.

The thing is that trying floral creams and soaps made me realize that what we consider as male scents actually consist of florals and hence florals are masculine.

The bottom line is give them a try. The scent doesn't linger after the shave. I'd recommend to sample T&H Lavender, which is more floral, and TOBS ,which is more staight lavender, and T&H Rose.

0 57
 01-24-2014, 02:47 AM
User Info
(01-23-2014, 07:23 PM)Triad Wrote: First i hope this doesnt ruffle any feathers. But whats the draw to use a lavender, rose, flowery scented cream/soap i scratch my head and just dont get it. I would feel like i smelled like women all day. Again this is not a shot at anyone who likes them i m just curious mayby you can broaden my horizons. Thanks

Well... the large majority of the scents from soaps and creams doesn't linger all day. Far from it - they are not colognes.
This is particularly true if you shave before bath, like I do, and probably many others.

However, they add a nice olfactory feeling during the shave, which is a good thing.

2 5,548
 01-24-2014, 03:47 AM
User Info
For me, rose and lavender are wonderful scents. They remind me of going to Granny Kennedy's house when I was a child. Brings back nice childhood memories. Heart

Take care,
Ed

22 764
 01-24-2014, 04:55 AM
User Info
(01-23-2014, 08:46 PM)celestino Wrote: Toby, I don't know about lavender, rose, flowery scent, but Mystic Water's Sandalwood Rose is heavenly and not reminiscent of femininity, at all, for me. It just smells divine!
To me, I have never correlated any scent of shaving soap that I have tried, so far, to any gender once I face-lather it and start shaving! Nothing feminine about that; just a beautiful aroma while shaving. Biggrin

(01-23-2014, 08:51 PM)dr_mancha Wrote: MW Sandwood Rose is very masculine!

I also have the bath soap.

I have not found a rose I like by itself, and my first sandalwood was OK, but this MW Sandalwood Rose combination is my favorite scent...There are a couple that are very close but it remains top spot and has been for a couple years.

31 1,800
 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
I find the appeal of them is based on their traditional uses in shaving soaps and creams. Both rose oil and lavender oil have antiseptic, astringent, anti-inflammation, and aromatic calming properties, so I would reckon that's why they became popular with shaving soaps and creams.

I would also gather that their scents traditionally were equated with status. I also think that, along with the color pink, they were co-opted and turned into projections of femininity.

I know many people who probably prefer "modern" and "manly" scents, but I like the idea of a link to the past. Rose is a pretty singular scent, but lavender can be all over the place, from very sweet (more like TOBS) to ethereal (like MdC) to earthy (like Mike's Hungarian Lavender).

84 1,505
 01-24-2014, 07:18 AM
User Info
I particularly enjoy the herbal qualities of certain lavender soaps and creams. As weird as it may be rose scented mens products seem special to me. I reserve them for date nights, ballet, theater etc

2 44
 01-24-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 04:55 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: I have not found a rose I like by itself, and my first sandalwood was OK, but this MW Sandalwood Rose combination is my favorite scent...There are a couple that are very close but it remains top spot and has been for a couple years.

* Mike, I have to concur with you on this scent as Michelle really has created such a beautifully smelling soap, with this one! It is my favourite along with her Sardinian Honey, and Bay Rum. Heart

83 21,110
 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
It's definitely an individual preference type of thing. But I will say that when I first started DE shaving I thought those scents sounded weird and too feminine. I've since tried both rose and lavender scents and really like and appreciate them. And +1 on Pat 5Savages comment - my experience is that shaving soap or cream scent does not last very long in any event so try away!!

15 190
 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM
User Info
Not to beat a dead horse, but I, too, like them because they smell good.

If you want a gentle introduction to lavender that isn't too flowery, try MW Wild Lavender; it's very herbal. The best pure lavender I've tried is also a MW scent, this one called Jeff's Lavender.

I like rose and rose blends, as well. Sorry my next example is also one of Michelle's MW scents, but I really like Rosalimone, which is a nice combination of rose and lemon. I am awaiting delivery of RazoRock's San Valentino, which is also supposed to be a combination of rose and lemon. I'll see how it stacks up.

2 1,548
 01-24-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
Smelling like roses, lavender, violets, and such, is a sure fire way to get a lady's attention Wink

1 346
 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
I wonder if you'd be surprised how many masculine colognes and scents make use of flower scents anyway. Smile Geranium oils and neroli (orange blossom) seem particularly popular, along with lavender.

10 1,858
 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Great comments, ive enjoyed reading them. Im gonna put an order in and give it a shot been meaning to try some Mystic Water anyway. I will try Msblackwolfs aphrodesiac theory on the wife Smile I was a little narrow minded when i posted this, your comments have definatly changed my stance. Thanks everybody

Ordered MW Wild Lavender & Sandalwood Rose

118 1,708
 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 12:43 PM)Triad Wrote: Great comments, ive enjoyed reading them. Im gonna put an order in and give it a shot been meaning to try some Mystic Water anyway. I will try Msblackwolfs aphrodesiac theory on the wife Smile I was a little narrow minded when i posted this, your comments have definatly changed my stance. Thanks everybody

Ordered MW Wild Lavender & Sandalwood Rose

Excellent! Be sure to report back here with your impressions.

0 836