01-24-2014, 05:11 AM
User Info
We are in the midst of another cold spell. When it is really cold out side (single digit or lower) I light the downstairs wood cook stove.

It is fun to cook on and in. Baking takes a little extra effort but not much. Cooking on top is great. The surface offers a variety of heat ranges depending on where you put your pot or pan.

In this pic I have the eggs and scrapple over the hottest part of the stove - righ above the rear of the fire box. I am making toast directly on the cooking surface. The tea kettle is simmering. The mug is being preheheated. On the shelf above I am also warming the plate my meal will go on.
[Image: FSa9jF5.jpg]

The fan in the back right is powered by the hot surface. I am not sure if it really moves much heat around. I am sure it is rate cf/hour instead of cf/minute.

Lastly for inquiring minds: Scrapple is a Pennsylvania breakfast meat. You either love it or hate it. Traditionally is was "scraps" leftover after butchering the hog. They are chopped up and mixed with cornmeal and spices and formed into loafs. You cut a slice and pan fry it. Yumm.

7 363
 01-24-2014, 06:02 AM
User Info
an excellent piece - i love it! and use your stove whenever you can - all year around Smile

7 1,624
 01-24-2014, 07:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm afraid if the gas went off we would be screwed. My grandmother use to cook on a wood stove and oh my did her kitchen ever smell good. Scrapple sounds interesting.

178 23,809
 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 07:55 AM)Johnny Wrote: I'm afraid if the gas went off we would be screwed. My grandmother use to cook on a wood stove and oh my did her kitchen ever smell good. Scrapple sounds interesting.

You haven't lived until you have had scrapple. Perhaps my stance on pigs and boars is changing after all.

0 295
 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM
User Info
I have a vintage wood/coal potbelly stove in my shop. You just can't beat the flavor of a slow simmered stew in a cast iron flat bottom dutch oven!
Scrapple....yummmmmmm!

1 346
 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
User Info
I wish we had room for an old time wood cookstove. I'm envious.

But we make do with what we can cook on the top of the wood space heat stove. Unless we need the space on the top of it for something else, we always have 2 kettles for water always simmering/boiling. The little one boils and the humongous one simmers, at best, but it's a 1 1/2 gallon kettle. Neither rests directly on the stove top, but on cast iron trivets suspended over the hot metal. Want hot tea? The water's always ready. Or it's ready to thaw out the poultry water dish to give them something warm to drink. They crowd the water dish when that treat comes out to them.

"Baked" beans done in a cast iron dutch oven on top of the wood stove is the best I've ever eaten. Don't ask me why they're so good cooked over the wood, but they are. I've made them on the cook stove, and in the oven, and they can't hold a candle to being cooked on the wood stove. It makes no sense, it just is.

As you can imagine, this time of the year a lot of wood goes through our wood stove. When we're home it's our primary source of space heat. Neither of us likes the up and down cycling of the oil burner, or buying oil. Our wood is free since we grow it and harvest it. Wood heat is constant as long as we keep the stove fueled, the controls stable, and it's cold enough outside. Below 20°F is best, when it gets near 30° it's beginning to get a bit too warm for the best burn. Plus, if one needs a warmup, just sidle up to the stove and toast what's needing the warmup. Just don't set ones clothes on fire. (I've seen that happen)

More about wood heat... For those folks concerned about "green". The CO2 we generate during the burning of the wood is more than taken up in wood growth. Wood growth during the growing season and growth that we can't possibly burn enough wood to use, so it's a sort of CO2 "bank". I harvest possibly 3-4 cords a year, and I could harvest much more and still never run out of wood. That's a lot of C02 uptake locked up in that unused wood. When I get done cutting in an area other than the stumps, it's hard to tell anything happened there at all. The ATV is very gentle on the land. No worse than walking on it. I'm not a tree hugger, but I like all of that.

But I'm rambling. It's just that not many folks live a truly rural life today. I thought a slice of rural life might be different for some folks to experience even if only a little bit.

32 6,459
 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Nice, Phil! City boy that I am, I could never imagine using one. As Johnny stated, if the gas went off, I'd be screwed.

2 11,211
 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Mo' muffinwood! Biggrin

"Everything but the Oink"
Sisi

0 567