01-24-2014, 09:42 AM
User Info
Do you suffer from Cracked Bleeding and or Chapped Wintry hands? Do you also love the smell of Lavender and Rosemary? Do you want a natural Product ? Yes, you say? Well, I am the same and I purchased Burts Bees - Hand Salve " A Farmers Friend" . I urge you to try this Salve. Thumbup

This is not an endorsement.

0 295
 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
User Info
my solution is to stick with klar's curd soap - and klar's curd soap only. never anything else for my hands. never more salves or hand creme for me - this soap takes care of it all. really. it's cheap and no nonsense - and the ingredients speaks for themselves.

from klar's website:

"still a popular classic: klar's curd soap – made of plant oils and totally free of any synthetic colorants, fragrances and preservatives. especially applicable for people with dry or allergic skin.

ingredients (INCI):
sodium palmate*, sodium cocoate*, aqua (water), glycerin, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate, sodium chloride

*from organic farming"

[Image: NJJA0gO.jpg]

7 1,624
 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 12:12 PM)tonsorius Wrote: my solution is to stick with klar's curd soap - and klar's curd soap only. never anything else for my hands. never more salves or hand creme for me - this soap takes care of it all. really. it's cheap and no nonsense - and the ingredients speaks for themselves.

from klar's website:

"still a popular classic: klar's curd soap – made of plant oils and totally free of any synthetic colorants, fragrances and preservatives. especially applicable for people with dry or allergic skin.

ingredients (INCI):
sodium palmate*, sodium cocoate*, aqua (water), glycerin, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate, sodium chloride

*from organic farming"

[Image: NJJA0gO.jpg]

Why do you Germanic people have all the good skin care products?

0 295
 01-24-2014, 01:26 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
This is your basic run of the mill lotion bar. If you prefer artisan made check out ebay, etsy or similar sites and get it scented how you want it. (check out the ingredients listed) It's great stuff, I made one for myself using beeswax and emu oil and it's AMAZING at softening the skin and I mean amazing!!! However my personal goal was to use very specific essential oils known to help with pain but the soft skin is a great secondary use.

Those with sensitive skin may have issues with burts bees because it also contains "linalool and limonene" two known skin irritants for many. They are also used in shaving soaps and creams that people having issues with burning... It also contains soybean oil and canola oil which I am not fond of in skin care products, because I feel they are cheaper and fillers and there are much better options. So check out the ingredients, it can make or break a product.

But excellent post, if you have really dry skin lotion bars are great. Many artisan makers put them in push up or twist up tubes like shave sticks or deodorant which makes them easier to use!!!

7 405
 01-24-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 01:26 PM)krissy Wrote: This is your basic run of the mill lotion bar. If you prefer artisan made check out ebay, etsy or similar sites and get it scented how you want it.

no krissy - this is not a run of the mill soap - and it's unperfumed for a reason. and how it is made says more than just the ingredients. just like two grandmas can make apple pie with same ingredients: one turns out terrible and the other a culinary experience of a life time Wink

7 1,624
 01-24-2014, 05:18 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Marius I was talking about the Burts Bees, A Farmers Friend not the soap.

I totally agree on the soap! The same goes for cold process soap. There are a lot of soapmakers and to be honest I have tried several of my soapmakers friends soap, and they are very different some good and some bad. Some were beginners and took recipes from the net that weren't the best. Just like artisan shaving soaps. How many claim wonderful reviews by their customers that say it's the best. But when gentlemen such as the ones here try it, it falls flat. It all depends on what the user has to base their opinion on. When it comes to soap.... oh boy am I fussy!!!! Very FUSSY!!!

But I hate to say looking at the ingredients it may fall short of MY own personal expectations for reasons I can list.

ingredients (INCI):

your basic main ingredients are palm oil and coconut oil.

Glycerin is a natural by product of the soap making process and it's hard to say if they took it out and re-added it in or just added more.

tetrasodium glutamate diacetate is an additive for chelting and dealing with hard water, and perhaps another reason or two and sodium chloride which is salt which gives a bit of hardness to the soap.

Now going back to the two main ingredients, palm oil is the base oil of the soap which gives the soap hardness and a bit of a creamy lather, but not a great deal. Coconut oil does double duty where it gives hardness as well as lather. But coconut oil is also drying to the skin when used in higher amounts and I would guess this would have too much for my skin to feel comfortable with because water is listed after coconut oil. Coconut oil is very different in it's raw state than it is after it's been saponified into soap with lye. So many soapmakers say they use coconut oil and how wonderful it is to the skin and how moisturizing it is. Avoid those because they don't know what they are talking about.

What it doesn't contain is any other oils to moisturize the skin nor does it contain castor oil. Castor oil in my opinion is a must in soap because it does double duty. It's a soft oil so you need to balance the recipe out with harder oils but it also very moisturizing and provides great lather. Both creamy lather and bubbly lather where coconut oil provides just a bubbly type lather. IMHO most soapmakers don't use enough castor oil in their recipes depending on coconut oil to provide their lather.

But these are just my own opinions and as a soapmaker it's learned from trial and error and error and trial. I know there are a lot of people who really like pre de provence and bath soaps. And I have used my share of them in my own soap rotation and I use them because I love their scents, but I hate how they make my skin feel. IMHO they also use too much coconut oil in their soaps and their soaps use shea butter. Shea butter is a unique in it's own because not the entire portion of the shea butter to saponify.

Now another whole topic on the oils that don't saponify is the superfat. It's possible the KLAR soap has a higher superfat to counteract the high coconut oil, but even still it lacks the castor oil that I really like in soap. The superfat is a percent that you use that reduces the amount of lye used leaving some of the oils unsaponified so they can moisturize the skin.

Just as example the other day I made up some soap using 100% coconut oil, water and lye. I superfatted this at 0% because I didn't want those excess oils in the soap as it's a cleaning soap and meant to be a stain stick bar of soap. But because it's harsh on the skin because of it's superfat. Now on the other hand I can make a salt bar which is sometimes 100% coconut oil and may also contain 10% to 20% other oils or butters but the superfat is raised to between 15% and 20%. But salt is also added to the soap because it's a specialty bar of soap and is used to exfoliate the skin. Because it's high superfat it has those extra oils to moisturize the skin. But because of the salt which is a lather killer in higher amounts the lather is creamy and more lotion like.

But when it comes to making soap you just nailed it. Two grandmas can make an apple pie and they can be very different pies in the end. It all boils down to the recipe used to make it and specific ingredients used and the amount used.

7 405
 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
[Image: MiHXicO.jpg]

Ayuh. Biggrin

http://www.bagbalm.com/index.htm

The Burt's is an excellent product as well, but maybe grab a tin of this sometime. It's like duct tape after a while - 1000 & 1 uses! Wink

0 567
 01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 07:48 PM)Stubbl E Wrote: [Image: MiHXicO.jpg]

Ayuh. Biggrin

http://www.bagbalm.com/index.htm

The Burt's is an excellent product as well, but maybe grab a tin of this sometime. It's like duct tape after a while - 1000 & 1 uses! Wink

I used that when I was kid. I try to use Aquaphor at night but it just doesn't cut it. Burts is for daily use. I may have to revert to that.

0 295
 01-25-2014, 04:26 AM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 12:23 PM)BigMark Wrote: Why do you Germanic people have all the good skin care products?

i'm not germanic - i'm nordic Wink and besides - all products can be bought online by anyone - no matter where you live Thumbsup

(01-24-2014, 05:18 PM)krissy Wrote: Marius I was talking about the Burts Bees, A Farmers Friend not the soap.

my bad Blush

7 1,624
 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM
User Info
O'Keeffe's Working Hands, available at your local hardware store. It really works.

29 1,776
 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 04:26 AM)tonsorius Wrote:
(01-24-2014, 12:23 PM)BigMark Wrote: Why do you Germanic people have all the good skin care products?

i'm not germanic - i'm nordic Wink and besides - all products can be bought online by anyone - no matter where you live Thumbsup

(01-24-2014, 05:18 PM)krissy Wrote: Marius I was talking about the Burts Bees, A Farmers Friend not the soap.

my bad Blush

What is the main difference between Germanic and Nordic? I have used the term Germanic for a long time. Please explain from European or Scandinavian point of veiw.

0 295
 01-25-2014, 11:16 AM
User Info
well - germanic goes for the origin of our modern language - but the nordic culture as such is different in my opinion and predates the germanic culture by several millennia.

7 1,624