01-24-2014, 01:18 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I saw these brushes on TSS and after reading about them and heard from Andrew I took a chance and got one in. In my case the "small" 700030 with a 23/61(!)mm knot. This is from a group of small German brush makers that produce under the name "Vereinigte Pinselwerke". They mostly produce artist and cosmetic brushes.

This probably is a bowl latherers dream! I have yet to test when face lathering. The hair is remarkably soft. Reminds me of Vie Long Selected silver tip. The bloom of the brush is enormous! A very dense brush (does not look that way from the top because of the high loft).

More to report once I tried her on the face...

[Image: 7FC1UEr.jpg]

[Image: NO82Co3.jpg]

[Image: Jvpfuki.jpg]

[Image: WSSOhdw.jpg]

37 1,863
 01-24-2014, 01:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice looking brush. My goodness, 23/61 would make for good bowl lathering. If that's a small I would hate to see a large.

178 23,809
 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Here are the other larger ones...

[Image: hnvQSI7.jpg]

(01-24-2014, 01:36 PM)Johnny Wrote: Very nice looking brush. My goodness, 23/61 would make for good bowl lathering. If that's a small I would hate to see a large.

37 1,863
 01-24-2014, 01:45 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
27.25 X 69 ... wow!

Nice looking handles.

102 18,652
 01-24-2014, 02:21 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 01:45 PM)Agravic Wrote: 27.25 X 69 ... wow!

Nice looking handles.

A47

Enjoy the new brush! Smile

83 21,077
 01-24-2014, 03:49 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 01:40 PM)German Wrote: Here are the other larger ones...

[Image: hnvQSI7.jpg]

(01-24-2014, 01:36 PM)Johnny Wrote: Very nice looking brush. My goodness, 23/61 would make for good bowl lathering. If that's a small I would hate to see a large.

The brush information Jarrod at The Superior Shave provides on his website is amazing.

Looking forward to your comments.

50 6,100
 01-25-2014, 12:40 AM
User Info
Looks like very nice hair quality Heart Please update us with how the brush performs.

23 475
 01-25-2014, 01:13 AM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
This brush looks amazing. I really like the handle.

But unfortunately these brushes are hard to find. Even in Germany.

1 375
 01-25-2014, 03:04 AM
User Info
Nice looking brush. Looking forward to your impressions.

6 358
 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've been eyeing that brush for a while, but I thought Jarrod's measurement of the loft at 60 mm was a mistake and I was about to e-mail him. Aesthetically, it's one of the best looking brushes available, but given the loft and bloom I just don't think it would work for me as I face lather exclusively; I could end up smothering myself if I got sloppy. I will await German's assessment of the brush for face lathering.

7 909
 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
I will.. I gave the Plisson "right of way" this morning... Cool
(01-25-2014, 07:19 AM)Rufus Wrote: I've been eyeing that brush for a while, but I thought Jarrod's measurement of the loft at 60 mm was a mistake and I was about to e-mail him. Aesthetically, it's one of the best looking brushes available, but given the loft and bloom I just don't think it would work for me as I face lather exclusively; I could end up smothering myself if I got sloppy. I will await German's assessment of the brush for face lathering.

37 1,863
 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM
User Info
That handle is very sweet looking! Are these brushes expensive?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

0 63
 01-25-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 01:18 PM)German Wrote: I saw these brushes on TSS and after reading about them and heard from Andrew I took a chance and got one in. In my case the "small" 700030 with a 23/61(!)mm knot. This is from a group of small German brush makers that produce under the name "Vereinigte Pinselwerke". They mostly produce artist and cosmetic brushes.

This probably is a bowl latherers dream! I have yet to test when face lathering. The hair is remarkably soft. Reminds me of Vie Long Selected silver tip. The bloom of the brush is enormous! A very dense brush (does not look that way from the top because of the high loft).

More to report once I tried her on the face...

[Image: 7FC1UEr.jpg]

[Image: NO82Co3.jpg]

[Image: Jvpfuki.jpg]

[Image: WSSOhdw.jpg]

Very nice looking brush indeed. Nice dense knot as well!

1 2,827
 01-25-2014, 07:46 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice photos Georg. I have been long overdue in posting my review of the 700050. Here it is:

http://shavenook.com/thread-vp-leonhardy-700050

Andrew

(01-24-2014, 01:18 PM)German Wrote: The hair is remarkably soft. Reminds me of Vie Long Selected silver tip.

I agree the tips are soft like Vie Long Silvertip (comparing to the Bullgoose Beehive LEs), but I find the VPL Premium Silvertip more closely resembles Plisson 3-band HMW.

Andrew

43 1,699
 01-26-2014, 06:18 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Anyone tried the 700825 model with the acrylic handle? Although it has the same premium Silvertip badger knot as the 7000** series the knot is shaped differently and packed less densely; it is described as a "cream puff" with an incredibly soft knot and no scrub or scritch; feels like a big cloud. On the other hand, the 7000** brushes are described as feeling like a big stiff sponge or loofah. I don't get along with overly dense or highly backboned brushes so I'm thinking that the 700825 might be more to my liking; sounds like it's similar to a Kent BK4, a brush I really like.

7 909
 01-26-2014, 06:46 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
I used the 7XX30 today for face lathering with a grated Speick stick in a bowl. The brush is neither floppy nor does it shy away from soaps. The knot is very dense and allows to take soap up easily (though not like a 2 band or short lofted 3 band).

Control while face lathering is not a problem, if you are used to larger knots (my largest is a Chubby 3 in 2 Band). The knot splays but stays controlled - again it is quite a dense knot.

The tips are soft - not Thaeter pillow soft but soft without any scritch - just a gentle scrub. A wonderful luxurious feel with a knot that comforts the face.

The knot is very well made. I agree with Andrew (and Jarrod) that this knot compares well vs. shavemac, Thaeter, Simpson 3 band silver tip knots.

Despite the large loft the brush is not floppy (like a Kent would be) because of the density of the knot. Now the xx30 model with a 23mm knot diameter is just right for me. Not sure I could handle the larger sizes (and lofts).

A keeper... Cool

Below some pics after use next to a Chubby 3 in 2 Band.

[Image: YycZ3fA.jpg]

[Image: PS3QZqx.jpg]

37 1,863
 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
German, thanks for the write up on face lathering with this brush; I found it most informative. As I noted above, Jarrod described the face feel of the brush being like a stiff sponge or loofah, but that doesn't seem to be your experience. As concerns density, I'm not attract to brushes that are overly dense. Recently, I disposed of a M&F 1/2 Blonde because I found it too dense. I have a Chubby 1 Best, which I'm not overly fond of because of the density of the knot; I keep it for a change of pace and because of its iconic status. I can handle a brush with a relatively large knot, but the density and backbone of this brush might be more than I would like. I face lather exclusively with creams mainly so these two aspects can make or break a brush for. What do you think?

7 909
 01-26-2014, 09:20 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
This is not an ueber-dense brush. The large loft gives it flex and it is not a lather hog as a short lofted dense brush like a Chubby in Best or Super can be.

Andrew's review referred to earlier is related to its larger cousin - the 70xx50 - and he has been using it only with creams. I am sure the brush will work even better with creams than hard soaps given the flex of the loft. In the end this of course is all YMMV. This brush has a rather "old style" large loft that is not for everybody. But given the density the loft makes this brush not floppy.

Most of my brushes are medium dense, medium lofted 2 Bands (and a few 3 bands).

Hope this helps.

[Image: CyFOt32.jpg]

(01-26-2014, 08:57 AM)Rufus Wrote: German, thanks for the write up on face lathering with this brush; I found it most informative. As I noted above, Jarrod described the face feel of the brush being like a stiff sponge or loofah, but that doesn't seem to be your experience. As concerns density, I'm not attract to brushes that are overly dense. Recently, I disposed of a M&F 1/2 Blonde because I found it too dense. I have a Chubby 1 Best, which I'm not overly fond of because of the density of the knot; I keep it for a change of pace and because of its iconic status. I can handle a brush with a relatively large knot, but the density and backbone of this brush might be more than I would like. I face lather exclusively with creams mainly so these two aspects can make or break a brush for. What do you think?

37 1,863
 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
German, thank you; that is helpful. At this time, unfortunately, Superior Shave is not showing the small brush in stock.

PS, your line up of Simpson's brushes is very impressive. The M7 in 2-band is my "grail" brush, but given the recent depreciation of the Canadian $ relative to the £, it's going to have to stay on my wish list a bit longer.

7 909
 01-26-2014, 09:39 AM
User Info
Very nice looking brush
I have 2 VP brushes but in different shape.

0 353