01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
"It is said that with a treasured fountain pen, the writer assumes an air of accomplishment as they practice the art of fine handwriting. As one writes, one expresses his innermost thoughts and passions to the world. A pen in the hand becomes an extension of the body and soul. Writing with a fountain pen is a romantic link to our past culture that allows a personal expression that cannot be emulated by today’s sterile forms of communication. Rising above the times a fountain pen will stay, and forever remain, the purest means of self-expression."
~ Sailor Pen

A few weeks ago I received the Sailor Professional Gear Silver fountain pen. The pen is made of black resin with nickel plated highlights. The nib is a bi-colored rhodium and 21k gold in medium nib. The dimensions of the pen are 128mm closed, 116mm open, and 150mm with the cap posted. It is my smallest pen in length, but the most comfortable to hold. The main reasons for the comfort are the weight (23g total) and width (measures about 11mm at the grip). Both of these factors combined, lead to a comfortable writing experience.

The nib construction is amazing! Not only is the gold pattern beautiful, but the nib writes extremely smooth. I can definitly feel the difference between cheap nibs, and this 21k gold Sailor nib. However, at first I didn't like the feel, and I actually had buyers remorse because of the feel of the nib. I had read many wonderful things about how Sailor has some of the best nibs in the world, and I could not see it. One time I thought to myself "My Jinhao X750 has a better nib, and that pen was only $7!" As time went on, I became accustomed to the pen, the true beauty of the nib presented itself. A am now proud to say that it is the finest nib I have used! The most pleasing characteristic for me is the ink flow. The Professional Gear's ink flow has to be close to perfect, if not perfect. The ink is never applied heavily, as it is with my Chinese pens, but it seems to only come out when you want it to; as a result, the cartridge of ink goes a long way!

Another thing to note is the grip on the pen. The cap screws off (my preference), and so you find there are threads on the back part of the grip that the user can't help but to partly hold. However, it isn't uncomfortable. The threads are small and close enough together to cause no irritation to the hand that holds the pen.This is another bonus in my books, as my other pens of similar make have larger threads and so I do notice them as I grip the pen.

In all honesty there is nothing more that I can think to say about the Sailor Professional Gear. It is pricey, retailing around $250, but if a deal can be found, one should be able to find it much cheaper than that. I myself bid on a "used" one that was listed on eBay; including shipping, it came to around $145. My pen came with the original box, papers, 2 black ink cartridges, and a converter.

As I said, it is a fantastic pen. I enjoy it so much that I don't know if I would be able to branch away from the Sailor nib. Since receiving it, my Chinese pens have been cleaned and put into storage. I just don't want to use another pen. So if you ever have the pleasure to try one, I highly recommend it! You will not be disappointed.

*note - I have only used the black Sailor ink cartridges. I have not used any other brand of ink in my Professional Gear.

1 608
 01-24-2014, 03:14 PM
User Info
Luke,
Nice write up. Thanks. And it is a beautiful pen.

Phil

7 363
 01-24-2014, 03:35 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Luke, what a fantastic review. Now I want one (just not with a medium nib Wink)!

By the way, your photograph is beautiful and if ever black and white photography enhanced an idea, this photo is it!

2 11,211
 01-24-2014, 04:06 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Thanks you both!

I should have mentioned that the medium nib is nothing like the medium nibs on my Boaer and Jinhaos. It is finer than any of those; even if my Chinese-made pens had the same control over ink flow, the Sailor will still be finer.

Also I am happy the photo worked. Truth be told it is on a yellow post-it and the writing is just gibberish. Smile. But I am pleased with the position of the pen in the photo!

1 608
 01-24-2014, 06:36 PM
User Info
That surely is a lovely pen. As I'm just starting to look into FPs I greatly appreciate this review. It made me want to get the pen as my first, but then I saw the price. Maybe one day, but first let me see if these are for me. Thumbsup

31 8,057
 01-24-2014, 07:39 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(01-24-2014, 06:36 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: That surely is a lovely pen. As I'm just starting to look into FPs I greatly appreciate this review. It made me want to get the pen as my first, but then I saw the price. Maybe one day, but first let me see if these are for me. Thumbsup

If you're getting into it, I'd say the Chinese pens are the best way to go, strictly on price point. My other 3 pens cost me less than $30 total. Though they are hit and miss, but I was lucky to get good ones all across the board.

1 608
 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Excellent review, Luke. My experience with a Sailor 1911 Standard was very similar to yours. These pens are of extremely high quality, and do take some getting used to since a Japanese Medium is very different from a euro medium. My pen buying is at a standstill for now, but if I get another, it will be a sailor with a naginata togi nib.

Brian-Defiinitely try the cheap pens first to get a feel for them. The Sailors, Pelikans and Edisons will still be here when you're ready.

0 1,137
 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM
User Info
Hi. Is that a sailor professional gear slim or standard?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

0 19
 02-11-2014, 07:44 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(01-24-2014, 08:35 PM)amerunis Wrote: Hi. Is that a sailor professional gear slim or standard?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hi! Sorry I missed this. It is the standard Professional Gear.

- - - - -

A quick update: Now that I have been using the pen daily, since receiving it, I have gotten a feel for writing with it. It is beautiful! The writing is extremely smooth and only the lightest of touches are needed to have it write perfectly. SO yes, I still love it! Biggrin

1 608
 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM
User Info
I just ordered the Pro Gear II in the same color scheme. I've been seeing a lot of good things about Sailor pens. I hope it lives up to the hype!

0 5
 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM
User Info
(04-10-2014, 04:14 PM)shavenly Wrote: I just ordered the Pro Gear II in the same color scheme. I've been seeing a lot of good things about Sailor pens. I hope it lives up to the hype!

Hi Shavenly,
Welcome both to the Nook and to the best forum on it "The Ink Well" Biggrin

Is this your first fountain pen?

I have a Sailor Reglus and love it. Sailors are good pens.

Phil

7 363