01-24-2014, 02:45 PM
User Info
My order from Italian Barber has arrived and I now have these soaps in hand! The Son of Zeus does indeed bear a strong resemblance to Terre D'Hermes. Quite subjectively I'd also say it is one of the strongest scented RR products I've come across. I haven't shaved yet today so I'll be giving it a whirl.
Much like Joe, I have not been a fan of rose scents but I bought the San Valentino anyway since it's an LE. This one smells darn good, the lemon keeps it from being too feminine (my usual complaint).
I will report back post-shave.

15 771
 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM
User Info
I too have got an order coming to me

ox man

0 35
 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM
User Info
SV is wonderful, very happy I purchased two tubs. If they are still available I'll have to pick up another with my next order.

2 44
 01-24-2014, 04:08 PM
User Info
I have received both as well. I am a huge RR fan. My nose is usually pretty darn good, but the San Valentino is a bit disappointing (kind of synthetic) the English Rose versions seem to do a better job. The S of Z to me has very little scent in my sample but the little that's there is wonderful. Maybe they will evolve with time. Taking a quick look and not missing anything, they each seem to be the same formula and the same as XX. Not sure , except for scent, why SV is a special edition. Hope to give them a try in the next few days.
I always enjoy RR products.

0 113
 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM
User Info
guildx500, I'll trade you straight up for my SoZ. mine hardly has any smell at all. Lol . Maybe when I lather them some smell will show up.

2 806
 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Must be a lucky day for many of us... My order arrived as well. I have both of the new ones and they certainly are not a disappointment. I'll echo that SoZ reminds me very much of Terre d'Hermes. Joe certainly pulled it off with this one. I also liked the lemon rose scent of SV a lot...I definitely caught more of the citrus, but it was a very well balanced scent.

Both scents were subtle after the initial blast when I opened the tubs, but then I test lathered SoZ and the scent became much more apparent as soon as the wet brush touched it. As with most RR products, it was ridiculously easy to get tons of incredible lather. Seemed very slick and protective and left a wonderful scent on the skin once rinsed off. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's shave Biggrin

34 1,627
 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 06:14 PM)Giorgio Wrote: Must be a lucky day for many of us... My order arrived as well. I have both of the new ones and they certainly are not a disappointment. I'll echo that SoZ reminds me very much of Terre d'Hermes. Joe certainly pulled it off with this one. I also liked the lemon rose scent of SV a lot...I definitely caught more of the citrus, but it was a very well balanced scent.

Both scents were subtle after the initial blast when I opened the tubs, but then I test lathered SoZ and the scent became much more apparent as soon as the wet brush touched it. As with most RR products, it was ridiculously easy to get tons of incredible lather. Seemed very slick and protective and left a wonderful scent on the skin once rinsed off. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's shave Biggrin

I hope lathering them is the key (Joe suggested this as well) . I'm not sure how either could be described as one of the strongest scented RR soaps? Don Marco, XXX-t, S. Maria, ABCBA (for sure) and Christmas in Tuscany have WAY more scent strength than either of these two right out of the box before lathering.

2 806
 01-25-2014, 04:02 AM
User Info
I was disappointed with the scent strength in the RR Captain's Choice soap, so I'm hoping that the SoZ I have en route is stronger than that one.

XXXt has just the right amount of scent, IMO. That should be the blueprint.

25 243
 01-25-2014, 07:40 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
A quick addition to my above post regarding the scent of SV. Just test lathered that one and now I caught much more of the rose. The scent is clean and balanced, perhaps ever so slightly powdery. However, my wife said it smelled like one of her body lotions... Like an oil of olay or something. Not sure if that's good or not. I just need more time with it to form a solid opinion. Performance seems to be in line with the other RR products... Excellent.

The scent on this one also became more apparent when the brush seemed to "activate" it. I guess when I think about it, most of my RR soaps have done that.

34 1,627
 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
San Valentino is in the house!

[Image: RRSanValentino_zps1bc0292f.jpg]

4 2,826
 01-25-2014, 06:49 PM
User Info
Certainly not a strong scent when compared to many of the artisan soaps I've tried, but those have too much scent in my opinion. I could still smell the SOZ a couple hours after my shave. I'm learning never to be surprised by comments on scent. I find XXXt heavily scented but I've seen comments that it doesn't have much.
The SOZ shave performance was very good, though so far I think XXXt is better. This was the first time I've tried one of Joe's argan oil formulations and the skincare is excellent. My face felt great for the rest of the day.
Photo is after two complete passes.
[Image: lo2GpQ2.jpg]

15 771
 01-25-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
When lathering if its even a little hard to smell then yes it doesn't have enough. I love soaps like Tabac, MdC, ABCBA. Those smell the same whether your smelling the tub or lathering.

2 806
 01-26-2014, 04:35 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I used the San Valentino this morning. I found the rose-lemon scent to be refreshing and not the least bit girly. I enjoyed it. It was strong but not at all overpowering. As expected, it easily produced a slick, thick lather. I let some hot water sit on top while I showered. I dumped the water out, loaded my brush, and went right to my face. Great shave!

[Image: SOTD1-26-14_zpse4e7a78e.jpg]

4 2,826
 01-27-2014, 11:08 AM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 07:40 AM)Giorgio Wrote: A quick addition to my above post regarding the scent of SV. Just test lathered that one and now I caught much more of the rose. The scent is clean and balanced, perhaps ever so slightly powdery. However, my wife said it smelled like one of her body lotions... Like an oil of olay or something. Not sure if that's good or not. I just need more time with it to form a solid opinion. Performance seems to be in line with the other RR products... Excellent.

The scent on this one also became more apparent when the brush seemed to "activate" it. I guess when I think about it, most of my RR soaps have done that.

I have shaved with the San Valentino twice. Once lathered it is, in my opinion, a predominantly rose scent; very little lemon comes through (for comparison I love MW Rosalimone, which has a lot more lemon and a less powdery rose).

I would argue that the rose scent in this one is a bit perfumey; in other words, I think your wife is correct.

Having said that, I personally find the scent quite pleasant. It certainly isn't a masculine scent, but I don't really care about that.

The lather, as you mention, is amazing and easy to produce, and the shave is smooth and comfortable.

I don't think this will be to everybody's liking, but to me it is definitely a keeper.

2 1,552
 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Both soaps arrived today, they smell incredible can not wait to use them.

1 3,507
 01-27-2014, 05:23 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-27-2014, 11:08 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Having said that, I personally find the scent quite pleasant. It certainly isn't a masculine scent, but I don't really care about that.

The lather, as you mention, is amazing and easy to produce, and the shave is smooth and comfortable.

I don't think this will be to everybody's liking, but to me it is definitely a keeper.

I completely agree...I shaved with it today, and again definitely more of the powdery rose came out in the lather, versus the lemon. I caught the lemon scent at the very beginning and the very end of the shave. I'm still suffering from a major sinus infection, so I don't trust my nose completely, but I still found the scent very clean and pleasing. I personally love rose scents, and while this one won't dethrone Mike's Natural Rose & Cedarwood as my all time favorite rose scent, it is still a very lovely scent that I look forward to experiencing in my rotation. However, I also agree that it is a scent that may not be to everyone's liking (but what scent isn't??).

The shave was, of course, phenomenal. The big bonus for me with SV (and SoZ) is that I got zero irritation (as far as skin reaction) for all 3 passes. The lather was nice and creamy, slick and protective. Post shave feel was above average. As seems to be the norm for me with RR soaps, I walked away very happy with the scent, performance, and results. Kudos again to Joe for bringing two more RR products that are clear winners in my book Smile.

I hope everyone else enjoy's their shaves with these two new soaps Biggrin!

34 1,627
 01-27-2014, 07:39 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Mine arrived today. The smell of SV is great, it really is quite a different rose scent than other Rose products I have owned. As for SoZ, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when buying that. However, when opening it I found the cologne-like scent very pleasing and I am sure it will smell just as nice when lathered.

One question though, why the special mention of the argan oil? I looked it up and all I could find is information about skin care. Are people allergic to it or is it something a little more political? I'm just curious.

1 608
 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM
User Info
I asked Joe this exact question. He said that the Argan Oil leaves your face very moisturized and feeling good. After using it I can agree with that. A Italian friend of mine on another forum told me that the RR products with the Argan oil are some of his favorite soaps. Argan Oil is also called Liquid Gold. below is from Wikipedia;

"In cosmetics, argan oil is advocated as moisturizing oil, against juvenile acne and flaking of the skin as well as for nourishing the hair. This oil has also medicinal uses against rheumatism and the healing of burns ... Externally, argan oil is used ... for hair as brilliantine, to fortify and ... in the treatment of wrinkled or scaly dry skin"

2 806
 01-28-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
I think what Joe actually said was that the original XXX had way to much scent and irritated alot of people and that the XXXt has 50% more scent than most RR soaps.

(01-25-2014, 09:12 PM)sunflake Wrote: The original XXX in the black tub had 50% more scent compared to XXX-t according to Joe at IB. So a lot of people loved the original. When lathering if its even a little hard to smell then yes it doesn't have enough. I love soaps like Tabac, MdC, ABCBA. Those smell the same whether your smelling the tub or lathering.

15 771
 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM
User Info
(01-28-2014, 07:05 AM)guildx500 Wrote: I think what Joe actually said was that the original XXX had way to much scent and irritated alot of people and that the XXXt has 50% more scent than most RR soaps.

(01-25-2014, 09:12 PM)sunflake Wrote: The original XXX in the black tub had 50% more scent compared to XXX-t according to Joe at IB. So a lot of people loved the original. When lathering if its even a little hard to smell then yes it doesn't have enough. I love soaps like Tabac, MdC, ABCBA. Those smell the same whether your smelling the tub or lathering.

Yes, I got confused 50% more than most RR soaps. Thanks for the clarification! Thumbup I removed the messed up figure from above post, Thanks guild500! Got to keep things straight. It's important.

2 806