01-24-2014, 04:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is for Blackberry users. I don't really care about other phones or devises at this time.

I can get a new Blackberry Q10 through my carrier for free with a 2-year contract extension. I don't plan on going anywhere since I've been with my carrier for the past 7-years, so a contract extension does not bother me at all.

So, what say you Blackberry users? How do you like your devise?

175 23,752
 01-24-2014, 08:04 PM
User Info
What phone have you previously owned? I work in the IT industry and the majority of the z10's were returned and only a small amount of q10's were deployed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0 35
 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I had one for a short while a couple of years ago, I couldn't stand it. The buttons were insanely small to me, I'm 6'5" have rather large hands and I could never type or dial without hitting adjacent keys. I ended up selling it to a friend, he loved it. Rolleyes

31 1,510
 01-24-2014, 11:10 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 04:04 PM)Johnny Wrote: This is for Blackberry users. I don't really care about other phones or devises at this time.

I can get a new Blackberry Q10 through my carrier for free with a 2-year contract extension. I don't plan on going anywhere since I've been with my carrier for the past 7-years, so a contract extension does not bother me at all.

So, what say you Blackberry users? How do you like your devise?

I've had my z10 since day 1 and I love it. The BB10 operating system is, in my opinion, the best offered right now. Also, we receive a big software update on the 28th of this month allowing us to download android application stores, giving us access to pretty much any application out there. The lack of big name apps on BB10 was my only negative but it is now going to be resolved. Feel free to ask anything specific that you want to know, I don't have the q10 but a number of close friends have them and a few of us have the z10 (my friends have been using BB devices since early on).

It wouldn't hurt to go on youtube and look up "crackberry" and view some of their videos from a number of months back. They'll have q10 video reviews, bb10 reviews, tips, shortcuts, etc.

(01-24-2014, 08:15 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I had one for a short while a couple of years ago, I couldn't stand it. The buttons were insanely small to me, I'm 6'5" have rather large hands and I could never type or dial without hitting adjacent keys. I ended up selling it to a friend, he loved it. Rolleyes

The q10 is just a few months old and offers their best/largest keyboard to date. I don't exactly have the most nimble little fingers and I can type on them insanely fast. Big buttons with frets between rows and sculpted keys, they're really nice to use. There are other models like curves and such with smaller buttons and big spaces between them, they're much harder to type on.

One thing I'd like to add is that unless someone has actually owned or used a Q10/Z10/Z30 then I wouldn't make any decisions based on what they're telling you. OS10 and their old phones from previous years are nothing alike. The new OS is every bit as modern, useful, and fast as it's competitors.... finally.

q10
[Image: BlackBerry_Q10_35583324_16_540x386.jpg]

12 848
 01-24-2014, 11:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I was all set to buy one until I tried it out at the Verizon store. It seemed a bit quirky and nothing like the blackberry bold that I owned a few years ago. They eliminated the trackpad and you have to swipe the screen for everything.

I changed my mind and am sticking with my iphone.

46 18,089
 01-24-2014, 11:57 PM
User Info
(01-24-2014, 11:18 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I was all set to buy one until I tried it out at the Verizon store. It seemed a bit quirky and nothing like the blackberry bold that I owned a few years ago. They eliminated the trackpad and you have to swipe the screen for everything.

I changed my mind and am sticking with my iphone.

That's definitely something you need to give a couple days to figure out to fully appreciate. Everything in gesture based. If you were to just try one in a store I can see that being very unfamiliar/frustrating but it actually works very well. There is no need for a home button, a swipe from the bottom minimizes that app or page you're on and turns it into an "active frame". Then you can go open something else, it gives your ACTUAL multitasking which IOS didn't offer until recently (i think with the latest update) and it's still not as quick or intuitive. What I like about the OS10 is a swipe backwards and everything is there in a main "hub" layout. From there you have a generalize inbox in which you can setup to have whatever you want to come in there, then you have your other stuff like texts, bbm's, emails, twitter, facebook, etc. It's hard to explain but mostly everything is just one or two swipes away no matter where you are on the phone. The whole hub and gesture setup is the main reason why I prefer the new blackberries to Android or Iphone.

12 848
 01-25-2014, 03:58 AM
User Info
Well, I haven't tried the Q10 myself, though a friend of mine has it and she loves it. She's only ever used Blackberry phones and she thought it was the best one she's ever had.

I have had the Z10 for a while now. It is not like the Q10, in that it does not have a real keyboard, but the OS is the same, so I can give you my impressions of it.

--------------------

Short Blackberry Z10 review

--------------------

I tried the Z10 without having become a fanboy of any single phone platform. I had an iPhone, which I found to be too restricted and clunky. I had an old Samsung Galaxy S, which I loved....especially as I could modify it so heavily. I still have a couple of Windows Phones, which are really excellent. I even have a Nokia N9 - the only MeeGo phone ever released, and I love tinkering with it.

From that group, I loved the MeeGo interface (swipe for everything) and I really liked how light and responsive the Windows Phones were (much better OS than iOS and Android.....and I usually HATE anything Windows). Also, my Lumia 920 pretty much made all my point-and-shoot cameras obsolete. The camera really is that good.

Then I had a chance to try the Blackberry Z10.

On paper, the hardware and OS are not anything to shout about. The screen is great, but the other hardware specs (processor, camera, etc) are only middling for a flagship phone (though I guess the Z30 has supplanted it).

However, in use, it is phenomenal! The Blackberry OS (I have upgraded to 10.2.1) is really very responsive. There's no real lag when opening native apps. The app selection in the store covered most of my needs. News, a few games, time management - that's what I look for, and it has those.

The OS is intuitive, but will take a day or two to get used to, if you haven't used something like it before. I found it to be fun and easy to use once I got started with it.

Where it excels is content creation. The BB10 virtual keyboard is just plain amazing. I hate typing on virtual keyboards and I can type long emails on this one without issue. It is very fast - I seem to make few to no mistakes on it, and I liked it from the first time I tried it.

One issue with it is the low-capacity battery. I can get it to run for a day or more, easily. However, if I play a lot of games, it will drain much faster. Expect to have to charge it every night.

For most people (especially younger people), the biggest knock on BB10 seems to be the 'lack of apps'. It actually has a lot of the most useful apps, but I can understand being peeved if you can't get an app you really like (or something like it). However, even there, BB10 has a way out.

I upgraded to 10.2.1 because I like tinkering with phones, and this upgrade also allows me to run most Android apps. Not all - some will just not work, but those tend to be large game apps. Not only that, but you can use third-party android stores directly (like the Amazon Kindle store). So that takes care of most of the app requirements. Android apps take a second to load, so it's not seamless.

10.2.1 is not yet officially released, but it will be released as an update at the end of this month. That means your phone will automatically update the OS, and you'll have access to most of the Android apps.

-----------------

Anyway, of the phones I've used (and I've used some from nearly every ecosystem), it's the one that matches my needs the best. The phone is a nice size and weight (not too small, but not too large). The screen is really nice. The interface is not as good as MeeGo, but it is better than the rest. The camera is not as good as the Lumia 920, but it matches or beats the rest of them. The OS is responsive - matching the rest, except WP8. The app selection is very good, and covers my needs well (with the upgrade to 10.2.1).

What separates it from the pack (for my use) is the hub and the keyboard. Since that's what I use most on the phone, it's a big deal to me.

------------------

I'm not going to tell you to get one. Also, this is my experience with the Z10, not the Q10. I imagine that the Q10 wouold be easier to type on, but the smaller screen will cause issues with some apps (especially Android ones).

Also, as we get older, considerations like readability are something to keep in mind, so the Z30 may be better for some of us. It also has a high-capacity battery, so it runs for longer.

-------------------

Basically, Johnny, if you're really interested in a BB10 phone, I say you should try one at least. I'd suggest going to a store and seeing them in person. Then give the phone a week or so before making up your mind. It is a very nice system, and I like it, but it won't work for everyone.

37 1,743
 01-25-2014, 07:15 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Yohann, thanks for the detailed review. Since I've never owned or used any type of modern phone system, i.e., iPhone or the likes, it's not like I would have to learn a new system over again. I would just have to learn a system.

That's right gents, I have not left the 20th century. All I do with my old cellphone is make phone calls and take SOTD pictures.

It's past time to keep up with my kids and grandkids and to be able to communicate with them no matter where I'm at.

I will take a trip to the cell store on Monday to look at the Q10.

175 23,752
 01-25-2014, 08:18 AM
User Info
I love my Z10 so much...awesome!!! It's the best smartphone i've ever used. Fantastic OS,easy to use and very fast.

Don't need 1000 of apps to get my life done. In the BlackBerry World almost all apps are available that i want to have.

Sent with my BlackBerry Z10

0 272
 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM
User Info
The voice quality on the Q10 is exceptional.

1 131
 01-26-2014, 09:18 PM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 07:15 AM)Johnny Wrote: That's right gents, I have not left the 20th century. All I do with my old cellphone is make phone calls and take SOTD pictures.

It's past time to keep up with my kids and grandkids and to be able to communicate with them no matter where I'm at.

* Holy cow, Johnny! You are making, me, look old! I have never owned a cellphone, in my life! BlushBiggrin

82 21,056
 01-27-2014, 01:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-26-2014, 09:18 PM)celestino Wrote:
(01-25-2014, 07:15 AM)Johnny Wrote: That's right gents, I have not left the 20th century. All I do with my old cellphone is make phone calls and take SOTD pictures.

* Holy cow, Johnny! You are making, me, look old! I have never owned a cellphone, in my life! BlushBiggrin

Then you have saved a lot of money and headaches.

175 23,752
 01-27-2014, 07:57 AM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 01:20 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 09:18 PM)celestino Wrote:

Then you have saved a lot of money and headaches.

You're not kidding, Johnny! Man! Are these cellphone plans expensive!

Now, with three of us using them in the house it really pinches. However, I do like technilogy and cellphones are rapidly evolving, so they are useful and fun to me.

I really hated my land line, and I'll never go back to using that.

37 1,743
 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I don't have anything to add other than I used blackberry's in the past but like the larger screen of my new phone. HTC one. So for me screen size is an important feature.

But did ya'll know you can use crackberry.com to get free ringtones even when you don't use a blackberry. I like to personalize ringtones for certain people so I know they are calling by hearing their tone rather than looking at the screen.

7 405
 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Yohann -you now have me curious about the Z30. The reviews all seem positive so far. I may have to buy one so that I can field test it. It is worth risking a restocking fee if it does not work out.

46 18,089
 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is -50 wind chill out today so the phone store visit will have to wait until later in the week.

175 23,752
 01-27-2014, 09:56 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I've never had the Q10, but I loved the Blackberry I did have.

My wife took hers to Iraq for a year, and the thing looks like it's been to war (which it has) and the thing keeps on going. They are tanks in my opinion. She has never found a phone she likes as much as she loved her Blackberry, and to this day it's her back up phone.

18 1,186
 01-27-2014, 03:26 PM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 08:40 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Yohann -you now have me curious about the Z30. The reviews all seem positive so far. I may have to buy one so that I can field test it. It is worth risking a restocking fee if it does not work out.

Yeah, I wish I'd tried the Z30, but they're expensive off-contract. Actually, a lot of US carriers are not even stocking them. Blackberry has really made it hard for themselves by not responding faster to the advent of the 'smartphone'.

I hope you like it, if you decide to try it.

37 1,743
 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 07:57 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: I really hated my land line, and I'll never go back to using that.

* Yohann, what did you hate about your land-line? Mine works, brilliantly. Biggrin

82 21,056
 01-28-2014, 11:28 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-27-2014, 03:26 PM)yohannrjm Wrote:
(01-27-2014, 08:40 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Yohann -you now have me curious about the Z30. The reviews all seem positive so far. I may have to buy one so that I can field test it. It is worth risking a restocking fee if it does not work out.

Yeah, I wish I'd tried the Z30, but they're expensive off-contract. Actually, a lot of US carriers are not even stocking them. Blackberry has really made it hard for themselves by not responding faster to the advent of the 'smartphone'.

I hope you like it, if you decide to try it.

I plan to stop by the Verizon store tomorrow to take a look at it. I am due for a new phone so who knows...

46 18,089