01-25-2014, 05:57 AM
User Info
It's been a long while since I'd watched a Chinese Kung-Fu movie. I was into them when I was a teenager, and then I watched 'Crouching tiger, hidden dragon' when it was released in the US, but that was it.

Well, Netflix suggested 'Ip Man - The final fight', and I was bored enough to turn it on.

I was pretty surprised. It was actually rather good. A decent storyline, excellent acting and well-choreographed fight scenes (without over-the-top sequences, as in 'Crouching tiger'). Also, the fights were not the focus of the story. The potrayal of the British in Hong Kong was pretty rubbish, but then potrayals of asians in western movies was rubbish too until quite recently (anyone remember Mickey Rooney as a Japanese gentleman in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'?).

A little digging around on the internet led to the realization that 'Ip Man' was a real person, and was Bruce Lee's master. The movie was pretty fictionalized, but was still semi-biographical. Also, I found that there were a bunch of movies made about Ip Man in the recent past.

I've now watched a few of them. 'Ip Man', with Donnie Yen as the main character, is really excellent. 'Ip Man 2' was less so, but still watchable.

[Image: IpMan.jpg]

Anyway, it was a nice suggestion by Netflix. I would never have watched them if it wasn't for that suggestion. If you like the old Bruce Lee movies, this series would be interesting to watch.

Here's the real Ip Man, practicing with the wooden dummy, and then with Bruce Lee.

[Image: Ip-Man.jpg]

[Image: Ip-Man-with-Bruce-Lee-002.jpg]

37 1,743
 01-25-2014, 06:01 AM
User Info
I love all the ip man films they are realy awsome to see a story about the man that is reasponable for Bruc Lees start in martial arts

ox man

0 35
 01-25-2014, 07:55 AM
User Info
My son happened upon the Ip Man movies on Netflix and watched Ip Man and Ip Man 2. He thought they were great and he normally hates subtitled movies. I watched about a third of Ip Man 2. I need to go back and watch both of them.

0 836
 01-25-2014, 08:04 AM
User Info
I saw the original Ip Man on Netflix and thought it was a very good movie. Simple story, good guy vs. bad guy, well done and fun to watch.

3 459
 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
This has been recommended to me by Netflix for over a year. Unfortunately, I have to be in a certain mood for not only this type of movie, but also for a subtitled movie. (It took me several years to get around watching Pans Labyrinth and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon after their release)
Because of this I just keep passing on it in favor of other offerings. Hopefully, one of these days I'll get around to watching it.Rolleyes

31 1,510
 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM
User Info
Very interesting. I hadn't known about Ip Man. As a teenager I studied briefly with Chuck Norris, but I always admired Bruce Lee's style, much more fluid than Norris' linear one, and since my parents limited me to one bedroom wall poster, it was a Bruce Lee one. I too am not really a fan, most of the time, of subtitled movies, but these sound pretty good.

206 12,189
 01-26-2014, 09:21 PM
User Info
* Yohann, thanks for the info!

* John, you are a man of interesting and varied talents, I see!
Do you still practice?! Biggrin

82 21,056