01-25-2014, 06:12 AM
User Info
Anyone on here likes them? And what's your take on them?

I always loved Green Irish Tweed and Vetiver scents from the house of Creed when I used to be in perfume biz, and the ladies always loved it on me.

But I see they have shaving products and wants know everyone's take on them.

0 34
 01-25-2014, 06:54 AM
User Info
Creed makes three different scented shaving soaps and I have only tried the Original Santal. Performance is top notch. An extremely easy to lather soap with a prominent scent and good cushion and glide. Post shave quality is up there with the best of them. A soap that, once again, highlights the fact that tallow is not a necessary ingredient to produce a high quality soap.
One of my favourite Creed fragrances is the GIT and I very much want to try the soap.
The HUGE downside to these soaps is the cost. Here in the UK, the soap in the wooden bowl costs £49. Furthermore, refills are not available, meaning the complete package has to be bought every time.
Certainly a very high quality product but at a price you have to ask yourself if it's justified paying.

31 5,278
 01-25-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
My experience with the Original Santal shaving soap was the same as David's. A top-notch soap, but at a high price. I haven't used the others. I also have used the GIT aftershave balm, which also was very good but very pricey. And I bought a used lot of several of the Creed EdTs from a forum member and have used three of them to make my own splash aftershaves, which I really like. You can find my description and recipe for them in a different thread.

206 12,189
 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 10:29 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: My experience with the Original Santal shaving soap was the same as David's. A top-notch soap, but at a high price. I haven't used the others. I also have used the GIT aftershave balm, which also was very good but very pricey. And I bought a used lot of several of the Creed EdTs from a forum member and have used three of them to make my own splash aftershaves, which I really like. You can find my description and recipe for them in a different thread.

There are the 8 oz EDT splashes, you can't use those as aftershaves??

0 34
 01-25-2014, 11:36 AM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 11:12 AM)Duvid Wrote: There are the 8 oz EDT splashes, you can't use those as aftershaves??

The ones to which I'm referring are actually EdPs, and they're not actually splashes. They're 4-ounce spray bottles, sold at Neiman Marcus and elsewhere. For me they're much too strong to use as aftershaves; they quickly cause a rash. But diluted with aloe, glycerine, and witch hazel, they're fine.

206 12,189
 01-25-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
Creed Original Vetiver Soap is the soap I've had the luxury, it is also my favorite aroma, it has honey and lanolin Aaaaa

I Santal and is also amazing but I prefer the Vetiver Biggrin

8 1,676
 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-25-2014, 11:50 AM)lu20vt Wrote: Creed Original Vetiver Soap is the soap I've had the luxury, it is also my favorite aroma, it has honey and lanolin Aaaaa

I Santal and is also amazing but I prefer the Vetiver Biggrin

My friend , I don't know if that soap really contains lanolin : Andrew posted a pic of the Original Vetiver ingredients and no lanolin or honey anywhere to be seen...

However , Creed shaving soaps are the quintaessential of shaving soaps : brilliant performers and wonderful scents.

88 7,214
 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM
User Info
I have taken a couple of photos, and honey lanolin not appear in the formulation, but in the cup Exclamation

[Image: in72bp.jpg]

[Image: 9rr5e8.jpg]

8 1,676
 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-25-2014, 01:12 PM)lu20vt Wrote: I have taken a couple of photos, and honey lanolin not appear in the formulation, but in the cup Exclamation

[Image: in72bp.jpg]

[Image: 9rr5e8.jpg]

Thanks for the pics.

Isnt that strange ? Huh

88 7,214
 01-25-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
I do believe linalool is a plant form of a type of lanolin and that is how they get away with stating it has lanolin --- someone feel free to correct me on that one

97 1,303
 01-25-2014, 02:48 PM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 01:49 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: I do believe linalool is a plant form of a type of lanolin and that is how they get away with stating it has lanolin --- someone feel free to correct me on that one

No, that is not true. They are two completely different substances.
Lanolin is a wax taken from the sheep's' wool, ans used for its emollient and moisturising properties.
Linalool is something completely different, it is an alcohol present in many essence oils and fragrances - it is just a component of the scent of the product.

2 5,545
 01-25-2014, 03:59 PM
User Info
Okay --- that is the explanation that Neiman Marcus' customer service received from Creed when I questioned where the Lanolin was --- I am aware that it is a waxy substance (also referred to as an alcohol of wool by my PhD Organic Chemist brother).

Creed told NM that Linalool was a "synthetic" form of lanolin --- I am not saying they know what they are talking about...just telling you what NM told me two weeks ago.

97 1,303
 01-25-2014, 04:33 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-25-2014, 06:54 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Creed makes three different scented shaving soaps and I have only tried the Original Santal. Performance is top notch. An extremely easy to lather soap with a prominent scent and good cushion and glide. Post shave quality is up there with the best of them. A soap that, once again, highlights the fact that tallow is not a necessary ingredient to produce a high quality soap.
One of my favourite Creed fragrances is the GIT and I very much want to try the soap.
The HUGE downside to these soaps is the cost. Here in the UK, the soap in the wooden bowl costs £49. Furthermore, refills are not available, meaning the complete package has to be bought every time.
Certainly a very high quality product but at a price you have to ask yourself if it's justified paying.

In addition to this, I understand their wood shaving bowls are also very poorly made and cheap looking, specially considering the price point.

26 4,895
 01-26-2014, 02:05 AM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 04:33 PM)TheMonk Wrote: In addition to this, I understand their wood shaving bowls are also very poorly made and cheap looking, specially considering the price point.
I wouldn't necessarily say the Creed bowls are poorly made, only that they are not(or don't look as if they are) treated in any way. I typically use my soaps in their wooden bowls, however, I always removed the Creed soap and held it in the palm of my hand to lather.

31 5,278
 01-26-2014, 02:35 AM
User Info
The bowls are good but lack the varnish layer, on the other hand have a very similar retro air bowls Vintage Yardley ..lovely Biggrin

8 1,676
 01-26-2014, 01:07 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
That's strange, I've read quite a few reviews complaining of the wooden bowls. I guess I'll have to try the GIT soon enough.

26 4,895
 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
User Info
Not varnished. If you use the brush too wet may stain the bowl of soap. Huh

8 1,676
 01-26-2014, 03:02 PM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 03:59 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: Okay --- that is the explanation that Neiman Marcus' customer service received from Creed when I questioned where the Lanolin was --- I am aware that it is a waxy substance (also referred to as an alcohol of wool by my PhD Organic Chemist brother).

Creed told NM that Linalool was a "synthetic" form of lanolin --- I am not saying they know what they are talking about...just telling you what NM told me two weeks ago.

Well... Listen to anyone or everyone as long as you decide for yourself! Biggrin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linalool

Hope this helps Wink

Probably they changed formulations, but forget to update the package - the bowls and soaps are sourced in different providers, and one can imagine such a thing happening easily.

2 5,545
 01-27-2014, 06:59 AM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 11:36 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(01-25-2014, 11:12 AM)Duvid Wrote: There are the 8 oz EDT splashes, you can't use those as aftershaves??

The ones to which I'm referring are actually EdPs, and they're not actually splashes. They're 4-ounce spray bottles, sold at Neiman Marcus and elsewhere. For me they're much too strong to use as aftershaves; they quickly cause a rash. But diluted with aloe, glycerine, and witch hazel, they're fine.

There are 8 oz splashes, just not a lot of places carries them, sometimes you have to go to boutiques for them.

0 34
 01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 06:59 AM)Duvid Wrote:
(01-25-2014, 11:36 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote:

There are 8 oz splashes, just not a lot of places carries them, sometimes you have to go to boutiques for them.

The 8oz splashes are flacons of Eau de Parfum, they're fragrance not aftershave. They're meant for transferring into smaller containers such as Creed's 50ml atomiser.

23 474