01-25-2014, 03:22 PM
User Info
With hearing all the talk about Creed fragrances, especially GIT & Vetiver, I've been looking for the opportunity to smell them. Well today at the mall I was at to pick up another L'Occitane Cade Plisson brush (which they were sold out of) I found myself in Nordstrom and they had a huge demo rack of the Creed fragrances. A very nice man who was supremely knowledgeable assisted my wife and I. GIT & Vetiver were the first ones I was interested in & then we branched out to pretty much all that they had available. The reason for that is because the gentleman was trying to find one scent that I would like. None of them were fragrances that I would wear. The Vetiver was the most appealing but even that doesn't give me the pleasure that TOBS Jermyn St does. So not only do I just not get their fragrances (read I didn't like them for me, the quality of them was unmistakeable) I don't see ever paying $330 for a scent. Finally I've found something that most people enjoy and will gladly pay high prices for that I simply don't like. I guess that is just more money to go towards my next MdC purchase. Tongue

31 8,057
 01-25-2014, 04:42 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Nothing to get really, overhyped and under developed, I've stopped crapping on it because I was getting hit by the defenders league Biggrin

88 4,233
 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM
User Info
To me the attraction was the GIT, since it's such am iconic scent. However it's been copied from Cool Water to Irish Spring so it didn't grab me.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 01-25-2014, 06:01 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-25-2014, 05:20 PM)jpakstis Wrote: To me the attraction was the GIT, since it's such am iconic scent. However it's been copied from Cool Water to Irish Spring so it didn't grab me.

- Josh -

I find Floris JF to also be quite similar to it, although understandably so, as I believe it was created by the same man, Pierre Bourdon.

26 4,927
 01-26-2014, 05:38 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
When it comes to finding a scent, they seldom appeal to me in the store-maybe due to all the other stuff blowing around? Nordstrom has a nice practice of giving you a decant/sample to take home. I did that a few years ago with Terre de Hermes, and wore it around a few times -I liked it, SWMBO said it was just ok. Saved me some dough.

19 742
 01-26-2014, 09:25 PM
User Info
Creed's Millesime Imperial and Aventus are excellent fragrances. There is significant batch variation with Creed fragrances that affect both the smell and longevity, so it may be better to purchase in store. If you don't mind purchasing online, there is no reason to pay $330 for a Creed, you can purchase through Essenza Nobile in Germany for much lower prices. If you like Vetiver, I would highly recommend Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/fragrances...naire.html

23 475
 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
User Info
Compared to sub $100 fragrances, I can really tell the difference in quality with Creed. Worth $300? Not to me. I buy online and I don't spend too much on them.

The only two I'd say are really good are GIT & Aventus though. The rest just don't stand out from cheaper options.

9 3,036
 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM
User Info
I agree, i have found that CREED is the most over-hyped fragrance house on the market. either their scents are too mediocre or just down right vulgar.

1 171
 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 06:01 PM)TheMonk Wrote: I find Floris JF to also be quite similar to it, although understandably so, as I believe it was created by the same man, Pierre Bourdon.

Yeah, and I completely forgot to include this disclaimer: my nose is probably not as "sophisticated" as to pick up the notes that distinguish GIT from other "clones." So maybe for someone whose nose is more "refined", GIT is a great choice for them.

84 1,505
 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM
User Info
If you want to purchase a Creed fragrance (or other fragrances for that matter) for very little money, another way is to take part in a split on Basenotes. Postumo (Jesus) is doing splits of most Creed frags and they're approx. USD $100 (EUR 65) for 50ml. You don't get the fancy bottle, however you'll save a significant amount of money. You could also purchase samples from Lucky Scent, Essenza Nobile or Surrender to Chance, they only cost a few dollars for 0.7ml - 2ml and will give you a good idea if you're going to like the fragrance.

23 475
 01-27-2014, 08:01 PM
User Info
I don't like any of the high end scents. I don't understand the appeal. I don't like the odor of other people wearing perfumes and colognes. They are just too much.

Aftershaves and balm are fine with me. Booster June Blossom, Proraso Green, Musgo Real original or Floid Blue are the perfect level of fresh, clean, light scents for me.

21 1,668
 01-28-2014, 02:06 AM
User Info
I had the same negative reaction to creed stuff. Too powdery, strong, and too sweet. Its the antithesis of Fresh and Clean smelling. Penhaligons on the other hand, has some amazing stuff. Try something inexpensive like a bar of soap or some aftershave and if you like it than dive right in.

1 628
 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM
User Info
(01-25-2014, 04:42 PM)beartrap Wrote: Nothing to get really, overhyped and under developed, I've stopped crapping on it because I was getting hit by the defenders league Biggrin

You won't get any dispute from me. I've never understood the devotion some give to Creed. OK, I guess I must as I love the smell of MdC. All of the Creed fragrances just seem "wrong" to me. Understand I also cannot stand the trio of the much hyped D.R. Harris Arlington, Marlborough and Windsor either.

129 6,685
 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM
User Info
I enjoy Creed scents and have a quite a few. That said the retail price is obscene and I don't generally pay it. You can get most of their scents online for a substantial discount. For example, fragrancenet.com has them discounted, then you can apply a 20% off code and use ebates for a additional 12% cash back...

33 548
 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM
User Info
Aventus is one of my all-time favorite. Amazing scent and great longevity. You can't judge it by just the initial scent, the dry down is marvelous.

3 315
 02-06-2014, 06:10 PM
User Info
Another clear example of YMMV. I personally like most, but not all, of the Creed scents, but my wife only likes a couple of them. I would never pay the full retail price, and I would never buy them on eBay; I bought mine used from another trusted TSN member who guaranteed me that he had bought them at Neiman-Marcus. Since my skin does not tolerate colognes, EdTs, and EdPs, I have just used my Creeds as bases for making diluted splash aftershaves. They turned out pretty well, and I like them, but not as much as I like vintage Floris and Penhaligon's products.

207 12,257
 02-06-2014, 06:11 PM
User Info
I had to try GIT and I do like it very much but it just doesn't last for me. I don't know I'll get any more when the 30ml decant I have is gone. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather on the other hand....I'm loving this stuff.

1 19
 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
User Info
I buy splits/decants as well of the ones I enjoy. GIT and Aventus are both excellent (and there is a reason they are top-sellers for Creed); I also am treasuring a decant of Windsor which is absolutely amazing.

12 1,247
 02-08-2014, 02:20 PM
User Info
I'm a fragrance collector and enjoy a good deal of Creeds scent.

I'm not a fan boy of any brand, Creed's no exception.
But I still own 14 full bottles of Creed, and I find that they make very natural smelling fresh scents.

Some only last 4-5 hours on my skin (VIW & MI), some last all day (Aventus & GIT)

When you charge $300+ for a bottle of fragrance, there must be some level of hype connected to the brand. So I agree it's a bit hyped up.
But you can't take away from the brand that they do make some of the best fresh natural smelling scents in the world.

I own 16 full bottles of Bond No.9 and this house seems to get a lot of hate on Basenotes and on other places, but I enjoy their scntes just as much as I enjoy Creed scents.

My Personal Top 10 Creed would be like this:

1. Windsor
2. GIT
3. Millesime Imperial
4. Aventus
5. Royal Oud
6. Silver Mountain Water
7. Original Vetiver
8. Virgin Island Water
9. Original Santal
10. Erolfa

24 5,962
 02-08-2014, 05:33 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks to the kindness and generosity of another member (mixershave) I recently had the opportunity to sample some decants of Creed.

I was impressed with the longevity of GIT and although a pleasant scent I wasn't blown away (too many copies I guess).

Aventus is by far my favourite (my wife's too) and is on my to buy list.

Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water were both enjoyable, but soft, subtle and not as enduring.

There is a definite quality about Creed, but I've been informed that batch variation can impact negatively on experience.

Thanks to Michael I've been introduced to a number of other fragrance houses too. This has served to limit the mystique and subsequent desirability of Creed fragrances for me, but I'm still looking forward to experiencing more Creed offerings...

99 18,011