01-26-2014, 12:03 PM
User Info
I've owned a ton of brushes but somehow haven't yet tried a Simpson. I face-lather exclusively, usually with hard soaps, and tend to like longer handles (big hands).

The Duke 3 in Best seems to get alot of love, but I'm also drawn to the Tulip 2 in Super.

Any thoughts on these two or others? Also curious about the newer Super Badger that Simpson seems to have these days.

53 1,199
 01-26-2014, 12:34 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I too face lather exclusively, but predominantly with creams. I have several Simpson's brush I particularly like: the Colonel in best, the T2 in super, E 2 in super and the Jubilee in Manchurian.

7 909
 01-26-2014, 12:45 PM
User Info
How's the backbone on your Tulip?

53 1,199
 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
The Duke3 and Tulip2 are two excellent choices, and although I do love the Tulip handle, that to me is one of Simpson's best looking handles, I'd go for a Duke3, considering it's your first Simpson.

26 4,928
 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I would choose a 2 band badger... pairing very soft tips with strong backbone... plenty of choices to be had... Biggrin

[Image: JzTZojO.jpg]

37 1,863
 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The Duke 3 is probably my all time favorite brush. I face lather almost exclusively and to me, everything about it perfect...from the handle shape, knot size, density, softness, backbone, flow, and so on. Plus the fact that it is so iconic, I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything else.

However, if you want to venture a different route...some honorable mentions in my book are: The fifty series (58 or 59), The Persian Jar (PJ3), The Keyhole (KH4), and the good old Emperor (E3) although it has a smaller knot but the handle is comfy. I have yet to try a Tulip but that one is on my "want" list.

Although I have had excellent luck with every single Simpson's best I've owned, I do recall some folks hinting at scritch, especially in the first few weeks of use (I think this notion held more weight a few years ago).

A final thought...perhaps keep your eye on BST and try and pick up the phyl8 TSN LE brush. They pop up here and there and the knot is very similar to a D3 and the handle is unique and quite superb. They typically go between ~$90-100 or so which makes them an outstanding value considering a D3 runs around $130ish.

Good luck in your search Biggrin

34 1,628
 01-26-2014, 02:50 PM
User Info
I think the first thing you need to decide is the hair grade. Most people feel "best" is the bargain but if you want soft you'd be happier with either Super Badger or order a two band to your liking. Once you decide on hair you can narrow down size and handle choices.

44 486
 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM
User Info
My preference seems to be towards fairly soft tips, but the brush must have excellent backbone. No patience for a brush that splays too much or has to be treated with kid gloves while loading or face lathering.

Sounds like the Super hair might be worth the extra coinage for my preferences.

53 1,199
 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM
  • tipsol
  • Istanbul
User Info
Hello sir, if you have Big hands I suggest you a long handle Simpson. The emperor,colonel or polo, least expensive is colonel x2l best. Badger it's great brush. Its not Soft süper badger but softnest is Will acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 37
 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-26-2014, 03:13 PM)david1201 Wrote: My preference seems to be towards fairly soft tips, but the brush must have excellent backbone. No patience for a brush that splays too much or has to be treated with kid gloves while loading or face lathering.

Sounds like the Super hair might be worth the extra coinage for my preferences.

With Simpson brushes, I don't think you can get softer than their two band hair. I'm a huge fan of them, and in my opinion they are well worth the cost if you don't mind spending extra. I have a Duke 3 in two band as well as best, and for me the D3 in 2 band is THE perfect brush for all occasions. It is incredibly soft and luxurious while still maintaining decent backbone and flow Wink.

34 1,628
 01-27-2014, 06:44 PM
User Info
(01-26-2014, 03:13 PM)david1201 Wrote: the brush must have excellent backbone. No patience for a brush that splays too much or has to be treated with kid gloves while loading or face lathering.

I owned the D3 in Best as well as a Custom Silvertip in 3 band and while I found the backbone respectable I certainly wouldn't call it excellent. You can definitely expect a decent amount splay that will only disappoint you if you have no patience for too much of it, like I do which is why they left my den.

This of course, does not take away from the quality of these brushes but simply a matter of preference for a knot with stronger backbone than the 3 band D3's provide.

The 2 band Simpsons will provide the backbone your after if they're well packed but at a higher price and then of course there's the Manchurian grade, if you want to go for broke.

65 799
 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Similar in size, i find the super has a tad of scritch and slightly more backbone. Both handles are on the smaller side, you might like a Polo handle better.
[Image: 575c61d5e0104e8d906f7b939f4c402c.jpg]

118 1,708
 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM
User Info
Thanks, I was starting to think the same thing regarding looking at the Manchurian. This is making me question the value of a Simpson though, as I have some Custom Brushes/knots that meet my criteria, and at a significantly lower price.

(01-27-2014, 06:44 PM)Bravado13 Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 03:13 PM)david1201 Wrote: the brush must have excellent backbone. No patience for a brush that splays too much or has to be treated with kid gloves while loading or face lathering.

I owned the D3 in Best as well as a Custom Silvertip in 3 band and while I found the backbone respectable I certainly wouldn't call it excellent. You can definitely expect a decent amount splay that will only disappoint you if you have no patience for too much of it, like I do which is why they left my den.

This of course, does not take away from the quality of these brushes but simply a matter of preference for a knot with stronger backbone than the 3 band D3's provide.

The 2 band Simpsons will provide the backbone your after if they're well packed but at a higher price and then of course there's the Manchurian grade, if you want to go for broke.

53 1,199
 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 07:14 PM)david1201 Wrote: This is making me question the value of a Simpson though, as I have some Custom Brushes/knots that meet my criteria, and at a significantly lower price.

Well, that my friend, is a whoooole other discussion.

65 799
 01-27-2014, 11:52 PM
User Info
(01-26-2014, 12:03 PM)david1201 Wrote: I've owned a ton of brushes but somehow haven't yet tried a Simpson. I face-lather exclusively, usually with hard soaps, and tend to like longer handles (big hands).

The Duke 3 in Best seems to get alot of love, but I'm also drawn to the Tulip 2 in Super.

Any thoughts on these two or others? Also curious about the newer Super Badger that Simpson seems to have these days.
Duke 3 was my first Simpsons brush, first new brush actually. I just traded it for a Classic 2 (not here yet). I only face lather and I didn't like it for face lathering, it had a lot of splay. The only other brushes I have are 2 band for the most part, so maybe that's why I prefer more back bone. That's just my .02 though. I'd probably get a chubby 2 in Best. Lots of people love the best hair and most everyone loves the chubby line. I think they're great for face lathering and from their you can maybe add super, super 2 band or heritage if you enjoy it.

(01-26-2014, 01:43 PM)German Wrote: I would choose a 2 band badger... pairing very soft tips with strong backbone... plenty of choices to be had... Biggrin

[Image: JzTZojO.jpg]

That's impressive.

This site... this sittteeeee......

(01-26-2014, 03:13 PM)david1201 Wrote: My preference seems to be towards fairly soft tips, but the brush must have excellent backbone. No patience for a brush that splays too much or has to be treated with kid gloves while loading or face lathering.

See, this has me believe that the Duke 3 isn't for you. Although, Duke 3 in 2 band can be had from the b/s/t if you're patient. Maybe that'd suit you (and me) more.

12 848
 01-28-2014, 12:18 AM
User Info
(01-26-2014, 12:03 PM)david1201 Wrote: I've owned a ton of brushes but somehow haven't yet tried a Simpson. I face-lather exclusively, usually with hard soaps, and tend to like longer handles (big hands).

My thoughts are similar too Giorgo, Simpsons: in Best........

Keyhole KH4
Fifty series No:59
Beaufort B6
The Hive

Or just stick with your original thoughts: The Duke D3 !!! whatever you do Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 01-28-2014, 04:44 AM
User Info
I found myself with the same dilemma. Liking big handles, I opted for a 58 in best. I love the handle! I think best is a wonderful grade of hair. But if I were to do it again and budget not an issue I'd choose 2-band for the greater back-bone, less splay and bulb shape.

2 205
 01-28-2014, 05:02 AM
User Info
(01-28-2014, 04:44 AM)Grande Wrote: I found myself with the same dilemma. Liking big handles, I opted for a 58 in best. I love the handle! I think best is a wonderful grade of hair. But if I were to do it again and budget not an issue I'd choose 2-band for the greater back-bone, less splay and bulb shape.

A 58 in two band.
Now that would be a nice TSN LE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 661
 01-28-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
Well, I'm getting tired of the whole buying and selling thing. Think I need to save up and go for broke, especially since the wife is more focused on the number of brushes I have (hasn't yet figured out how much these things cost...)

Anyone have an M7 in 2-band they'd like to part with? Biggrin

53 1,199
 01-28-2014, 06:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-28-2014, 05:52 AM)david1201 Wrote: Well, I'm getting tired of the whole buying and selling thing. Think I need to save up and go for broke, especially since the wife is more focused on the number of brushes I have (hasn't yet figured out how much these things cost...)

Anyone have an M7 in 2-band they'd like to part with? Biggrin

And you better pray she never does. Biggrin

178 23,809