01-27-2014, 12:11 PM
User Info
I had been wanting a Keurig for a while and my wife got me one for Christmas, a Vue 700. After about three weeks it quit on me. Wouldn't pump any water. The store she had bought it from exchanged it without any problem. Second one crapped out after less than two weeks of use, same problem. I called Keurig to see if they were having quality problems with this model but they denied there were any. I could get a different model I suppose but am about ready to give up on them. Anyone else have problems with Keurigs or am I just really unlucky?

44 486
 01-27-2014, 01:05 PM
User Info
We have had our Keurig (older type) for at least two years with no issues.

6 358
 01-27-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
I think some people's water is more prone to foul the pump with scaling. It's a pretty finicky mechanism in there.

0 303
 01-27-2014, 01:34 PM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 01:15 PM)Face Bannon Wrote: I think some people's water is more prone to foul the pump with scaling. It's a pretty finicky mechanism in there.

Agreed...We are on our 3rd one! Purchased at Costco so never had issues returning, but it is a pain! This one we have had for a couple years with no problems though...So who knows? Using the aeropress much more frequently these days anyway. Biggrin

47 385
 01-27-2014, 03:21 PM
User Info
Had a Keurig for years - never had any issues with flow. Having worked in several places where Keurigs were available and heavily used, I've never seen them crap out quickly. They do require maintenance every year or so, but not as quickly as yours.

Never really liked the coffee they made, though.

I much prefer the Aeropress, and my wife like a cheap single-cup brewer we bought a couple of years ago.

37 1,743
 01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
User Info
We have the Keurig Special Edition for about 1.5 years with no issues. One thing is the water level has to at the proper level according to Keurig. I am wondering if the pump failed because of the water level.

121 13,124
 01-27-2014, 04:27 PM
User Info
We have soft water so that shouldn't be an issue. Both times this happened the water reservoir was about 3/4 full. Both times I had started brewing and got a message to add water even though there was plenty of water available. Did that and then it just shut down completely. I really do like the convenience but getting the idea this is not the machine for me. It was bought from Bed Bath and Beyond so I'm going to see if they have had other returns on this model.

44 486
 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM
User Info
We have one and don't even use it... I do a slow pour\brew process which makes a great cup of coffee. I want to try a french press next.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0 35
 01-27-2014, 05:01 PM
User Info
Been there, done that. Personally, some strong instants are fine. SWMBO requires http://www.nespresso.com/us/en/home

She's happy...Wink

2 546
 01-27-2014, 10:13 PM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 05:01 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: Been there, done that. Personally, some strong instants are fine. SWMBO requires http://www.nespresso.com/us/en/home

My wife decided she needed a Nespresso and bought the Citiz. I roll my eyes at the cost of the pods, but she has no problem with it.

I did find some single-use pods I can fill myself and I've been "rolling my own" for about $0.30 a pod, vs. $0.60 to $0.65 for the Nespresso pods.

0 836
 01-27-2014, 11:37 PM
User Info
I had a Keurig AND a Tassimo - both died out on me. Then I found out about the single serving Hamilton Beach coffee maker and I'm so happy with it. You don't have to buy any cartridges for it, it's just as fast as the others, it's easy to clean, you can pick whatever coffee you'd like to use and it seems to make the coffee at a hotter temp than the others ever did. For the coffee connoisseur I'm sure they have other options but this thing is worth checking out if you're looking for that convenient single cup. It's great.

12 848
 03-14-2015, 02:54 AM
User Info
I've had two fail.  It is a very convenient barely acceptable cup of coffee when it works though

0 33
 12-29-2015, 08:41 PM
User Info
Got tired of paying a bundle for the cups. I switched to the ninja and have been very happy

0 55
 12-30-2015, 04:34 AM
User Info
The single-shot machines all use a lot of packaging for one shot of espresso:  not environmentally friendly, to say the least.  And if you are really an espresso drinker (as we are in this house), that involves at least 4 double-shots per day:  lots of waste and very expensive.

We went with a real machine -- a bar version of La Cimbali -- plus grinder, many years ago.  Counting in the cost of the machine, maintenance, coffee, etc., it ends up paying for itself at about the 4 year point.  Our machine is now 12 years old.  And, of course, it makes better coffee than any pod machine.

It's the coffee equivalent of the choice between cartridges and blades.   You might consider it.   The smaller real machines are quite good.

Best wishes for a well-caffeinated New Year!

Stanley

2 155
 12-30-2015, 04:40 AM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 12:11 PM)AFG008 Wrote: I had been wanting a Keurig for a while and my wife got me one for Christmas, a Vue 700. After about three weeks it quit on me. Wouldn't pump any water. The store she had bought it from exchanged it without any problem. Second one crapped out after less than two weeks of use, same problem. I called Keurig to see if they were having quality problems with this model but they denied there were any. I could get a different model I suppose but am about ready to give up on them. Anyone else have problems with Keurigs or am I just really unlucky?

About 2 years here too. Get San Franciso Bay Coffee pods and it tastes fantastic!

1 50
 12-30-2015, 04:52 AM
User Info
I have always thought the Keurig "trees" where you could pick a coffee, and then just have a cup looked awesome. We go through way too much coffee at our house for that; it would cost us an arm and a leg.

Just a Bunn and a grinder for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 12-30-2015, 06:10 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
[Image: vdc3JAd.jpg] This unit worked for our grandparents during the Depression and still works when the power goes out, the fancy coffeemakers breakdown and you just want a hot cup of Jo.

2 3,171
 12-30-2015, 08:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-30-2015, 04:52 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote: I have always thought the Keurig "trees" where you could pick a coffee, and then just have a cup looked awesome.  We go through way too much coffee at our house for that; it would cost us an arm and a leg.

Just a Bunn and a grinder for us.

That's what we use in our house.  A commercial BUNN Coffee Maker and a commercial BUNN grinder.  During the winter months, we drink between 4-6 pots of coffee per day so the one cup wonders are a waste of time for us.

178 23,809
 12-30-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
Aside from being lightening quick, the Bunns have the advantage of being able to be snaked out to clean them. When you use well water, it means the difference between a pot lasting a couple of years, or a decade.

15 403
 12-30-2015, 10:13 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
We've been using a Nespresso machine for several years and are quite happy with how it performs and the quality of the coffee it makes.  The pods are quite expensive, but on average we spend about $0.90 per day on pods for the two of us.  I particularly like the espresso it makes.  As for regular coffee, I've yet to find a system that makes a cup to my liking - strong and full-bodied; my biggest disappointment is the French press.

7 909