12-30-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
(12-30-2015, 10:13 AM)Rufus Wrote: We've been using a Nespresso machine for several years and are quite happy with how it performs and the quality of the coffee it makes.  The pods are quite expensive, but on average we spend about $0.90 per day on pods for the two of us.  I particularly like the espresso it makes.  As for regular coffee, I've yet to find a system that makes a cup to my liking - strong and full-bodied; my biggest disappointment is the French press.

Nespresso, IMHO, is a perfect solution for people who drink expresso in limited quantities -- i.e., a cup a day for one or two people.   From your numbers, it appears that is pretty much your profile.

For expresso nuts like me (and my wife), each expresso (or cappuccino) is a double, and we each drink between 2 and 3 doubles per day, more on weekends.   That translates to around 10+ pods a day, 3500 per year.  Even at 50 to 60 cents per pod, that becomes some $2,000 a year for coffee; a very expensive route.

And that's the arithmetic that led to buying a bar espresso machine and grinding our own coffee.  The machine pays for itself very quickly, compared to pods (or, for that matter, to a Starbucks habit).

It all depends upon how much caffeine you want to drink daily!

Stanley

2 155
 12-30-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
(12-30-2015, 06:10 AM)kav Wrote: [Image: vdc3JAd.jpg] This unit worked for our grandparents during the Depression and still works when the power goes out, the fancy coffeemakers breakdown and you just want a hot cup of Jo.

Just make sure to stick a piece of green scub pad (new) in the spout to filter out the coffee grinds when you pour!

4 475
 12-30-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
I have had a Keurig for several years without issue and it gets used a lot.

When I first got it I used only distilled water in it.  When we replaced the water softener we added a RO system and I only use that water in it and I think it makes a big difference.

I rarely buy the Keurig cups and use a basket that I can put my own coffee in.  Probbably used to make 20 cups a week without issue for the last 2 to 3 years.

4 475
 12-30-2015, 02:42 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
REAL MEN FILTER COFFEE GROUNDS THROUGH THEIR TEETH Nono

2 3,171
 12-30-2015, 05:11 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I tend to stay away from the one cup wonders as well...my Aeropress or Clever are perfect for me and the way I like my coffee.

However, coincidentally, my wife got a Keurig Rivo as a Christmas gift, which uses specialized pods (not typical K cups) filled exclusively with Lavazza and it is strictly espresso style coffee with a frother. While I am still saving up for my ultimate espresso machine, I have to say the cappuccino it made wasn't the worst I've had. I felt it on par with Sbux...so it could have been worse--sacrilege for coffee geeks,I know, but for Sbux goers (like my wife), I can see this machine making a decent and cheaper substitute. While I couldn't stand normal K cup coffee, the cappuccino from the Rivo was tolerable -- granted the two Keurigs serve different purposes. A straight shot of espresso...not so much

34 1,627
 12-31-2015, 06:15 AM
User Info
:-) Coffee grounds...

Kav, I don't drink much coffee at all and when I do I just make "camp coffee" using a pot, water and grounds thrown in loose. How does one dodge the grounds? Just take it off the heat and allow them to settle out. Same basic way that I make my chai tea. It's just grounds anyway, they won't hurt you. Or one could make believe that it's Turkish coffee. That cup of coffee IS the grounds; of course it's very finely ground, like flour.

It's getting off the subject a bit, but the best coffee I ever had was made in a qt. jar in the SousVide bath. But it's far from an instant cup of coffee. I do that when I have the time and want a really good cup (perfect cup).

Sous Vide coffee

14g of ground coffee
1.75 cups of water

Put the ingredients in a qt. mason jar, place into a 185°F sv water bath for 1 hour. Allow the grounds to settle out or put through a strainer.

32 6,465
 12-31-2015, 08:16 AM
User Info
(01-27-2014, 11:37 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: I had a Keurig AND a Tassimo - both died out on me. Then I found out about the single serving Hamilton Beach coffee maker and I'm so happy with it. You don't have to buy any cartridges for it, it's just as fast as the others, it's easy to clean, you can pick whatever coffee you'd like to use and it seems to make the coffee at a hotter temp than the others ever did. For the coffee connoisseur I'm sure they have other options but this thing is worth checking out if you're looking for that convenient single cup. It's great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPhgavC1WE

170 degrees is nowhere near proper temp to extract coffee properly.

0 78
 12-31-2015, 08:41 AM
User Info
(12-31-2015, 08:16 AM)Paul6506 Wrote:
(01-27-2014, 11:37 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: I had a Keurig AND a Tassimo - both died out on me. Then I found out about the single serving Hamilton Beach coffee maker and I'm so happy with it. You don't have to buy any cartridges for it, it's just as fast as the others, it's easy to clean, you can pick whatever coffee you'd like to use and it seems to make the coffee at a hotter temp than the others ever did. For the coffee connoisseur I'm sure they have other options but this thing is worth checking out if you're looking for that convenient single cup. It's great.

77°C is barely warm enough to drink said coffee... in most styles of brewing you want to be around 95-96°C - say 205°F - is what you'll want.

Which is a point where a lot of the cheap capsule machine fails; they either don't heat the water enough, or they heat it to boiling. Both makes for a disappointing cup, although for different reasons.

3 4,592
 01-05-2016, 11:00 AM
User Info
(12-30-2015, 01:25 PM)Cincinnatus Wrote:
(12-30-2015, 06:10 AM)kav Wrote: [Image: vdc3JAd.jpg] This unit worked for our grandparents during the Depression and still works when the power goes out, the fancy coffeemakers breakdown and you just want a hot cup of Jo.

Just make sure to stick a piece of green scub pad (new) in the spout to filter out the coffee grinds when you pour!

Grandma would an egg to control the grinds floating around. If you go directly to a carafe pour through cheese cloth into the carafe, or a super fine mesh funnel. I just drink it, no worse than what I drink from my french press.

Clayton

6 631
 03-20-2016, 12:57 PM
User Info
all very interesting.  i have a Bialetti stovetop maker and it makes great espresso.  my fiance wants a keurig and i am very hessitant to get one.

0 171
 03-20-2016, 01:48 PM
User Info
Wife likes coffee. Not my thing.

Keurig is good for us as we used to dump half a pot of coffee down the drain every day.

Have tried the reusable cup with poor results.

We're on our second Keurig. First one never really broke, but got slow to heat up after several years. Tried to buy the same model. It's a little different, but serves our needs well enough and when guests who drink coffee visit it's nice to have a bit of variety to offer.

In the past we were a bit into coffee and had a nice grinder but never invested in a quality machine. We were buying cheapo espresso machines once or twice a year before stepping over to a French press before finally switching to a Keurig for convenience.

I do use our Keurig for teas. On demand hot water in general is nice. A Keurig isn't only a coffee maker strictly. I don't use k-cups for tea or hot chocolate though. Just the hot water. The black cup the k-cups go in pops out. I rinse it under the faucet to make sure I don't get coffee flavored water when I use it this way. Just be careful if you pull that part out as there is a sharp in there.

I've considered an electric kettle, but can't justify the counter space for as much as I'd use it.

10 1,436
 03-20-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
(12-31-2015, 08:16 AM)Paul6506 Wrote:

Just under boil is best for proper extraction.

0 78
 03-21-2016, 09:26 AM
User Info
A married person who makes bad coffee leaves grounds for divorce...

36 901
 04-29-2016, 05:16 AM
User Info

1+

Can't go wrong with this setup as ShaneN has highlighted above. Nothing like fresh ground coffee vs oxidized pre-ground coffee if you want to step it up.

5 272
 04-29-2016, 09:33 AM
User Info
After my 'generic' coffee maker stopped working about 6 YEARS ago, I did some 'on-line research'.

I have NEVER been fond of any 'type of Keurig' coffee maker: TOO expensive (per cup), (now) maintenance problems, and (in the last couple of years) 'health concerns'.
I also do not like coffee makers that include a GRINDER ('all in one unit'). A SEPARATE grinder is less messy, does a better job, is quieter, and has many other benefits.

What I purchased 6 years ago cost LESS than TWO 'high-end' Simpson brushes (about $500), which has been an 'investment', just like the two Simpsons.

Previous Posts mention 'heating temperature'. It IS an important factor. 200 degrees is the 'necessary temperature', ALSO 200 degrees needs to be 'attained' fairly rapidly.
This can NOT be attained by almost all coffee makers, since most have the SAME 'generic aluminum heating element' (Mostly, ONLY 'features' and outward design are the only differences').

I purchased my coffee maker from Clive Coffee. I have NOT bought anything from them since, so I am NOT associated with them in any way. There may even be other sources.
What did I purchase? A TECHNIVORM MOCCAMASTER (ABOUT $300, and made in The NETHERLANDS). There is more than one model available, so you have choices. It USED to be the only model Clive Coffee carried, now they have even MORE options, so you have more choices.
It is one of the VERY FEW coffee makes with a very SIMPLE design and a COPPER COIL heating element (which allows it to heat to 200 degrees rapidly).
I also bought a Breville Smart Grinder Pro (available from Clive Coffee for $229.99) which I purchased for $200 on Amazon (6 years ago).

I could go 'on and on', but do your own research, like I did. You won't regret it. There are plenty of 'videos' that show features (or lack there of)The only 'issue' is that every once in a while I have to partially 'dis-assemble' the grinder when a 'hard object (like a rock) gets stuck in the 'grinder portion' of the grinder (from the coffee). I'M SURE other grinders have this issue. The grinder comes with a good 'manual'.
Also, these both take some EFFORT and TIME on your part, especially the Technivorm as it has NO 'automated features', BUT it IS simple.
Helps you become 'involved' and enjoy the 'simple process'!

48 417
 04-29-2016, 09:36 AM
User Info
I have had a few issues with Kuerigs...have both the Rivo system and the Big 2.0....Had a few machines replaced but the customer service has always been good and I have never paid for a replacement.

If you don't have soft water you really have to keep up on the descaling issues.

5 139
 05-03-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
Never a issue with our K machines and I buy the generic pods and they are much better and cheaper.  That said, it is what it is with a cup of single serve.  For us on the days we want great tasting coffee, the ole faithful Mr. Coffee traditional pot with some fresh ground what have you and voila, kick back and enjoy!  But then again, I am no coffee snob other than I hate Starbucks because quite honestly, their coffee tastes awful!

0 413
 05-03-2016, 12:46 PM
User Info
We had 2 "Keurig" branded machines and both stopped working.  Bought the Cuisinart-branded version and have had no problems for years.

0 176
 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
We have also had problems with ours.  Sad  Returned twice.

9 264
 05-03-2016, 11:16 PM
User Info
My coworker had issues with his, it barely lasted a month. He only buys them from Costco now since he doesn't even have to contact Keurig to get the warranty replacement, he just brings it in and swaps it out. The Costco manager told him it's common to see them come back.

6 776