01-28-2014, 02:19 PM
User Info
I dabbled in straight shaving some time ago, in fact I went overboard on buying straights from Obie and another member. While I could get a decent shave with them with patience, the truth of the matter is I disliked the time spent stropping, not to mention the eventual work I could need to do down the road with pastes, honing, cuticles ...... it all seemed like work to me.

About 6 weeks ago I picked up a Kai Captain with custom scales off our BST. I immediately started to enjoy straight shaving. So much worry and "work" was gone. I picked up a Feather DX and SS not long after and my collection of Artist Club compatible straights (I cannot bring myself to call these expensive beasts shavettes) has continued to grow. Not long ago I picked up a Kai Excelia from Bullgoose. I honestly was not sure how I would feel about this razor. I like wood and horn for my razors and that includes my straights. Metal scales????? Really????

I should note I promised Phil I would get him some product shots before use ........ but every morning the Excelia called to me. I finally gave in on Saturday, sorry Phil.

First impressions? This is one manly straight razor. it is indeed solid satin finished metal. nothing plastic in it at all. One solid metal folding straight razor. The scales themselves are fairly thin so there is a great balance like one would expect. It is not scale heavy or anything else like that. The fit is natural even in my large hands. I have used both Feather Professional as well as Feather "guard" blades so far. I did manage to get a bite the second day with the Professional, but the blade is really at the end of its useful life. I was however impressed with how it shaved with a guard blade. Overall I do not care for the guard blades as I do not seem to get as close of a shave with them as the unguarded blades, but this Kai proved me wrong. A great shave even with the guard blades.

I will eventually post a formal review after a couple more weeks of use, but at the moment this razor has moved to the forefront of my preferred straights. It's comfortable, sure, and good looking to boot.

[Image: fRbFdEB.jpg[]

129 6,685
 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing these initial impressions, Doug.
Nice to see that they're readily available at BullGoose now.

102 18,647
 01-28-2014, 05:17 PM
User Info
Nice pic, Doug! Great to hear you are enjoying these razors!

82 21,077
 01-28-2014, 06:02 PM
User Info
I think it's a handsome looking razor, Doug. Thanks for the insight.

6 1,224
 01-28-2014, 06:25 PM
User Info
Thank you, Doug. I'm still trying to decide if I should take the straight razor plunge. Perhaps this will be the gateway.

15 771
 01-28-2014, 09:33 PM
User Info
Thanks for the quick review, Doug.
Visiting family back home, the CJB is the only razor i took with me.
This system works so well I am thinking ''what's next?''.

There are few comparisons between the models (one here and one on SRP). I hope when you get the time, you could write a detailed comparison.
Erez

6 827
 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Great looking razor. Enjoy itCool

118 1,708
 01-28-2014, 11:41 PM
User Info
Thanks for the picture and the review, very nice looking razor.

0 9
 01-28-2014, 11:45 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Having owned one of these I totally agree, they are high quality.

28 1,442
 02-03-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
Looks like a nice razor. Thanks for sharing your initial impressions and a great picture.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

0 72
 02-04-2014, 12:34 PM
User Info
Yes Sir,

That is definitely a nice razor.

I have used SE and DE for a long time. Several months ago, I purchased an Artist Club SS. I immediately fell in love with it. It provides a great shave with one WTG pass (plus a little touch up). For me, it was just what the doctor ordered.
I'd be interested to see your follow-up report.
Cheers

0 76
 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
So does Bullgoose sell this model that is pictured above? The one on Phil's site looks more white in color. Great write up by the way Doug!

102 1,397
 02-04-2014, 05:49 PM
User Info
(02-04-2014, 01:38 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: So does Bullgoose sell this model that is pictured above? The one on Phil's site looks more white in color. Great write up by the way Doug!

Yes, this is it. http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/kai-capt...ght-razor/ Phil's photo is reflecting the light box I suspect. It is solid metal, no coloring.

129 6,685
 02-05-2014, 05:56 PM
User Info
I have the non-folding Kai Excelia, a sturdy razor, feels great in the hand and on the face.

21 1,668
 03-07-2015, 01:22 AM
User Info
I want one!! Any one know of any vendors that still have them in stock? I have a Japanese variant on the way but would love a folding version.

0 3
 03-07-2015, 08:56 AM
User Info
Good-looking razor. I've been enjoying my venture into this area.

8 915
 03-07-2015, 11:58 PM
User Info
Looks like a great shaver.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
Nice looking razor.....Enjoy!

10 399
 03-29-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
(01-28-2014, 02:19 PM)wingdo Wrote: I dabbled in straight shaving some time ago, in fact I went overboard on buying straights from Obie and another member. While I could get a decent shave with them with patience, the truth of the matter is I disliked the time spent stropping, not to mention the eventual work I could need to do down the road with pastes, honing, cuticles ...... it all seemed like work to me.

About 6 weeks ago I picked up a Kai Captain with custom scales off our BST. I immediately started to enjoy straight shaving. So much worry and "work" was gone. I picked up a Feather DX and SS not long after and my collection of Artist Club compatible straights (I cannot bring myself to call these expensive beasts shavettes) has continued to grow. Not long ago I picked up a Kai Excelia from Bullgoose. I honestly was not sure how I would feel about this razor. I like wood and horn for my razors and that includes my straights. Metal scales????? Really????

I should note I promised Phil I would get him some product shots before use ........ but every morning the Excelia called to me. I finally gave in on Saturday, sorry Phil.

First impressions? This is one manly straight razor. it is indeed solid satin finished metal. nothing plastic in it at all. One solid metal folding straight razor. The scales themselves are fairly thin so there is a great balance like one would expect. It is not scale heavy or anything else like that. The fit is natural even in my large hands. I have used both Feather Professional as well as Feather "guard" blades so far. I did manage to get a bite the second day with the Professional, but the blade is really at the end of its useful life. I was however impressed with how it shaved with a guard blade. Overall I do not care for the guard blades as I do not seem to get as close of a shave with them as the unguarded blades, but this Kai proved me wrong. A great shave even with the guard blades.

I will eventually post a formal review after a couple more weeks of use, but at the moment this razor has moved to the forefront of my preferred straights. It's comfortable, sure, and good looking to boot.

[Image: fRbFdEB.jpg[]

Thinking of buying one.  How would you compare the head on this compared to the SS or DX?  How do  you like the weight of this razor compared to the Feathers?  Just got a SS folding and hate the scale.  Also seems light.

6 164