01-29-2014, 07:51 AM
User Info
NOTE: Standard Razors resolved this issue. Please see post #6 for an explanation.

-------------------------

After reading the great reviews of the Standard Razors here on the Nook, I decided to try one out. So I went ahead and bought one of the black ones.

It arrived today, and I was immediately impressed with the beauty and regularity of the construction. I couldn't wait to use it, so I cleaned it and popped the provided Astra blade in the razor.

That's when I realized that I had a non-standard 'Standard Razor'.

The blade gap on one side of the razor was so much more than the other side. I did try it out, and found that the side with the larger blade gap was really nice to shave with, while the other side was pretty much useless, as the blade edge was so close to the safety bar that it almost didn't cut hair at all.

I did try flipping around the head-cap, to no avail. It was the same thing, regardless of what 'adjustments' I tried.

Here are some pics of what I mean:

[Image: temporary-1624.jpg]

SIDE ONE:

[Image: temporary-2037.jpg]

SIDE TWO:
[Image: temporary-1239.jpg]

[Image: temporary-1978.jpg]

[Image: temporary-1480.jpg]

[Image: temporary-776.jpg]

I also took some pics to show how the head and handle are attached, just so that people know what the razor is like. MY razor did not have the screw glued into the handle, and the handle screwed off leaving the screw in the head. As you can see, the two-sided screw has two different diameters.

[Image: temporary-522.jpg]

[Image: temporary-760.jpg]

-------------------

Now, I know that some razors will slip through QC every now and then. There were no other flaws that I could find on the razor.

I will be contacting Standard Razors to return this one.

It's unfortunate that this is necessary, but these things happen. I'll keep everyone posted on how that goes.

I just wanted to post this here so people know that there may be some sub-standard Standard Razors being shipped. Take a look at yours and make sure it's to your liking.

EDIT: I noticed in that last pic that there is some play with the pins on the head, so I tried to move the head-cap around to see if that took care of the uneven exposure. It did not. When I screwed the handle on, the head relaxed into the uneven exposure again.

EDIT2: Please see post #4 for how Standard Razors has replied to this issue.

37 1,743
 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
Wow, that is a major difference, Yohann!
Is the little screw the only thing that affixes the head to the handle?! That can't be possible!

83 21,109
 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
That one is off spec definitely.
Well, the Standard Razor razors I received are great - now let's see their customer service in action!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 666
 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
I got a prompt reply to my email to them about this matter.

They immediately agreed that something was wrong, and they seemed anxious to put things right.

They are sending me a replacement, and a return label for the one I have.

It seems that their customer service is great so far.

I'll keep you all posted about how this finally resolves itself, but so far it looks good.

------------

If I am as impressed with the razor as I am with their customer service (so far), this will be a good shave.

37 1,743
 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
It sounds like things are moving the right direction, Yohann. Keep us posted.

207 12,352
 01-31-2014, 11:28 AM
User Info
Well, I was impressed with the beauty of the razor, and I have to say I am very impressed with the way Standard Razors handled my complaint.

---------

As I said earlier, I sent them an email about this razor, with a couple of the pics shown in the first post on this thread. They immediately replied and agreed that there was something wrong with that razor and offered to send me a replacement.

Today, two days after I made the complaint, I received the replacement razor. It had none of the issues that the first one had (the blade gap was even and the screw was glued to the handle). They also refunded me $5 'for the inconvenience', though that wasn't necessary. They haven't yet sent me the details of how to return the first razor, but that will happen soon, I imagine.

Anyway, QC issues will happen every now and then. The first razor I received looks perfectly fine when a blade is not loaded. It is only when a blade is loaded that the issue presents itself. I can understand how this slipped through QC.

What makes this experience a pleasant one is the way Standard Razors responded to the complaint. There was no wait for a reply to my original complaint, and the resolution took about as short a time as possible.

I am very impressed! On the basis of this one transaction, I can strongly recommend doing business with them.

37 1,743
 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing this update, Yohann.

Nice to see this kind of service from a manufacturer/vendor.

102 18,668
 01-31-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
Glad to learn SR have been dealing with this so well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 666