01-29-2014, 09:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and every town in the area had a water tower with the town name and a slogan of some sort. I now live in the Southbay area of Los Angeles. There is a town to the north of me where the average house price is over $1,000,000 and that is also home to a large Sewage Treatment facility.

How is this for a slogan? "El Segundo, CA - Where the affluent meets the effluent". Biggrin

46 18,375
 01-29-2014, 10:16 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I was a kid back in the early/middle 50's we use to go to California every year on vacation to see my grandmother. We would go through Blythe, CA and there was a small sign as you entered town that had a picture of a baby with a diaper on and the sign said;

We may be small, but we are hotter than hell.

178 23,809
 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I'm from the small town of Cando North Dakota, with a population of just over a 1,000 people. When we first moved here from a city of over 4 million I joked with my mum as she grew up here that that number contained all people, pets and rodents. Now I kinda like it and it's a great place to raise a family.

It's humbling to walk my kids through the halls and see the pictures of my grandmother, mother, her sisters and brother, myself and someday my own kids graduation pictures. I only spent one year at the school which was my senior year. My hubby's pict is there as well but not because he attended that school but because the school he attended in a nearby town closed and all their kids are bussed to Cando, so they moved a lot of the history archives such as graduation class pictures and put them up for display in the halls of Cando as well.

But the name is unique in it's own, because it got it's name for the founding fathers "Can Do" attitude....

So the towns slogan is "You Can Do It Better In Cando"

7 405
 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
User Info
I grew up in Long Beach, California, where the slogans over 50 plus years have been "The International City" (when the Miss Universe Pageant was held there, 1952-59), "The Queen City" (after the ocean liner Queen Mary was permanently docked there), "The Gateway to the Pacific," "Opposites Attract," "The Most on the Coast," and finally "The Aquatics Capital of America." I guess they had trouble making up their minds.

The last title somehow seems to me to apply, because it reminds me of the childhood days when I took swimming lessons at the "Pike Plunge," the public pool (where incidentally I probably caught my polio infection) at the oceanfront amusement park. After my swimming lessons I would follow the sailors around the Pike, watching them pick up "working girls," and if I had a little cash I would ride the Cyclone Racer, the huge wooden roller coaster.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pike

207 12,265
 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
In south Florida there is a city called Coral Springs and years ago their slogan was "A city in the country"
That is no longer the case so the city removed all the signs.

121 13,126
 01-29-2014, 01:44 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Fort Smith, used to be the last city before you went into Indian territory The old slogan for the was Hell on the Broder.

1 3,507
 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM
User Info
(01-29-2014, 10:37 AM)krissy Wrote: So the towns slogan is "You Can Do It Better In Cando"

or: we cando - canyou? Biggrin

7 1,624
 01-29-2014, 02:16 PM
User Info
The town of West Lebanon, NH has the local garbage dump at its outskirts. It also has 'the strip' - the only concentration of retail stores in the Upper Connecticut Valley, so it's a relatively active place (for this part of the country).

The garbage dump is close to an older landfill, which has to be vented every now and then. This gives rise to a characteristic odour that gets carried on the wind for miles. Handy, when the town is tucked away between the Green Mountains and White Mountains, and cannot be seen until you're almost at the exit for the town.

So, West Leb could have the slogan, 'So close, you can smell it!' - or 'Follow your nose to the best shopping around!"

37 1,743
 01-29-2014, 02:31 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-29-2014, 02:16 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: The town of West Lebanon, NH has the local garbage dump at its outskirts. It also has 'the strip' - the only concentration of retail stores in the Upper Connecticut Valley, so it's a relatively active place (for this part of the country).

The garbage dump is close to an older landfill, which has to be vented every now and then. This gives rise to a characteristic odour that gets carried on the wind for miles. Handy, when the town is tucked away between the Green Mountains and White Mountains, and cannot be seen until you're almost at the exit for the town.

So, West Leb could have the slogan, 'So close, you can smell it!' - or 'Follow your nose to the best shopping around!"

24 I like it!

46 18,375
 01-29-2014, 02:47 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
My hometown is Brooklyn, New York. I don't know if the borough limits signs still have these but when one reached the Entering Brooklyn sign it always stated, "America's 4th largest city" because even though no longer a city in it's own right, by population it would, indeed, follow the rest of New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

However, I much prefer the Leaving Brooklyn sign I noticed a few years ago, when back on a visit. The statement had been changed to "Fuggedaboudit." Biggrin

2 11,211
 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Commerce, TX. Home of Texas A&M - Commerce that use to be East Texas State University. Back in the 50's and 60's (not sure when they took it down) the sign welcoming you in to the city read as follows.

Welcome to Commerce
Home of the blackest dirt and the whitest people.

178 23,809
 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-29-2014, 07:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: Commerce, TX. Home of Texas A&M - Commerce that use to be East Texas State University. Back in the 50's and 60's (not sure when they took it down) the sign welcoming you in to the city read as follows.

Welcome to Commerce
Home of the blackest dirt and the whitest people.

My old boss was from Greenville, TX and got his undergrad degree from East Texas University - in music, of all things - and can confirm this to be true.

I'm from Brownsville, Texas, and there are many, many informal mottos for Brownsville, but the official one is "on the border by the sea".

27 860
 01-29-2014, 09:58 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I am NYC born and raised. My suggested NYC slogans would be:

-If you can make it here...you need friggin' help.
-Love thy neighbor...but first make sure her four roommates are not home.
-Be it ever so humble...sorry, you are no longer in NYC.
-A NY state of mind...oops, I've misplaced my medication.
-The Big Apple...thin skinned with a prickly core.
-The City So Nice, They Named It Twice and raised the rents thrice.
-The City that Never Sleeps...because it's afraid people may escape.

1 795
 01-30-2014, 04:06 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-29-2014, 02:16 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: The town of West Lebanon, NH has the local garbage dump at its outskirts. It also has 'the strip' - the only concentration of retail stores in the Upper Connecticut Valley, so it's a relatively active place (for this part of the country).

All true about West Leb, but West Leb also has the only fast food Mexican food and the Tex Mex joint for many miles around...at least that was the case 20 years ago when I was a student living in the area. So, I guess the motto should be "better food than White River Junction"

27 860
 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM
User Info
(01-29-2014, 09:58 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and every town in the area had a water tower with the town name and a slogan of some sort. I now live in the Southbay area of Los Angeles. There is a town to the north of me where the average house price is over $1,000,000 and that is also home to a large Sewage Treatment facility.

How is this for a slogan? "El Segundo, CA - Where the affluent meets the effluent". Biggrin

Phil I also grew up in the suburbs of Chicago specifically Wheeling, IL where their town slogan was "Wheeling the town with Feeling" but they changed the slogan to the Community of Choice.

0 91
 01-31-2014, 10:45 AM
User Info
I was born and raised in a smaller town in Wyoming: Rock Springs. As long as I remember the slogan was, "Home of 56 Nationalities." In grade school I learned that this was due to the influx of immigrant workers that rushed in to mine coal. I later learned about more of the town's gruesome past concerning the immigrants.

6 229
 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I lived in Reno Nevada for years. The custom in Nevada for towns is to put their initials (usually with white washed rocks) on a hill above the town. There is a town called Battle Mountain. The people in that town are very proud of their BM on top of the mountain above the town.

68 1,068
 01-31-2014, 11:53 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Toronto is lovingly referred to as Hogtown. I think it got this name from its being a hog/pork processing centre.

Biggar, Saskatchewan, population 2,161, has this slogan, "New York is big, but this is Biggar".

7 909
 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM
User Info
(01-30-2014, 04:06 AM)ojinsa Wrote:

All true about West Leb, but West Leb also has the only fast food Mexican food and the Tex Mex joint for many miles around...at least that was the case 20 years ago when I was a student living in the area. So, I guess the motto should be "better food than White River Junction"

Oscar,

Things must have changed since you were here. While West Leb still has the greatest concentration of chain restaurants, White River Junction has a few excellent restaurants that have opened up in the recent past. It's still pretty run down as a whole, though.

There are some excellent restaurants in Hanover and Norwich too, of course.

37 1,743