01-29-2014, 12:20 PM
User Info
Mailman arrived!!

Had my first SE shave today with the new G bar and rite aid blade. Not bad at all! Some minor irritation in my neck but an otherwise DFS!

[Image: yqa3u3a4.jpg]

[Image: urujemyh.jpg]

[Image: pazyvuvu.jpg]

Tomorrow I try out the heralded Damaskeene. Can't wait. I think I'm a single edge convert now. Time will tell.

3 153
 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
Neat! Sounds good! But you shouldn't be getting irritation from a G-bar; it's close to the mildest SE razor that there is.

The Rite-Aid blades are carbon steel, so treat them right so as not to have them rust. You might not see the rust, but it will be there if care isn't taken.

If you already knew that and what follows, sorry, just ignore it. Maybe it'll help someone who didn't post.

FWIW, Walgreens had SS blades the last I knew.

Maybe the CS blades could be causing the irritation. They will rust from atmospheric moisture and produce a substandard shave. The rust will be invisible to the naked eye.

Keep us posted on your SE shaving.

32 6,470
 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM
User Info
Thanks shadow. Yeah I dried the blade after I used it and it was my first use. I'm sure the irritation is a result of poor technique or from the carbon steel or both. I'll try new blades and work on my angle in the meantime.

Either way, I'm stoked with the way a single edge shaves...and sounds.

3 153
 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
User Info
Welcome to the SE world of shaving. They offer the best shaves of any razors in my opinion. Do yourself a favor and order some Gem PTFE blades from Razor Blades & More, Connaught shaving or Ted Pella. They are bar none the best blades on the market. The Walgreens Stainless Gem blades don't even compare. Congrats on the first shave, I hope the Damaskeene treats you well!

69 2,194
 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM
User Info
Thanks cessna. I'm ordering those blades as we speak!

Sidenote: I was also waiting for a 1914 lather catcher but the seller sent me a flair tip superspeed and he has a 'no return' policy. Filing case with ebay if he doesnt respond to my email. Worst case scenario: I get a nice new superspeed (K2), get my refund from the bay and go hunting for another 1914.

3 153