01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
User Info
Newbie question ...

I understand when I go to a head phone meet-up that we all get to listen to different head phones through different gear (amplifiers/dacs/cd players/media players & etc). However, for the life of me, I'm trying to figure out what you do at a shaving meet-up?

Smell soaps? creams? aftershaves? Look at brushes and razors? whip up lathers? Shave? I get the social aspect, but what actually happens?

6 358
 01-30-2014, 01:41 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Do all of those things but mostly see other addicted people and realize you are not the only person who has enough product to start a business ......so much less expensive than medication and years of pychotherapy.....basically teaches you how to explain to SWMBO or other people how "I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE....ie...you should see..(fill in the blank),stuff...he is really nuts....etc,etc,etc...HuhRolleyesHuhRolleyes

6 2,044
 01-30-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
Thanks for asking that A1.

I've been wondering the same thing.

I thought it was just a "happening" to meet the people and faces behind the usernames.

32 6,470
 01-30-2014, 02:10 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Harvey's right about all those things, but what I believe it's fundamentally about is an opportunity to meet like minded people and share the camaraderie with them, as well as see some odd and unusual goods that you may not otherwise see. As an example, if you look at some of the pics from the Austin meetup, you'll see some interesting and rare specimens (courtesy of Andrew, who really has an awesome collection of razors). And you'll see a bunch of artisan made soaps from Rod, owner of Stirling Soaps. Just looking at those items launches a discussion about them. There isn't typically an agenda and you move at your own pace. Usually someone will bring stuff to PIF, which is always a cool thing.

Speaking for myself, I had the chance to meet several members who I have been exchanging PMs over some time, receive a razor that I bought from Jeremy, hear some life experiences from those much wiser than I, and to see and shake the hand of a friend who will be leaving Texas and retuning to his homeland.

That's a helluva way to spend a day of you ask me.

27 860
 01-30-2014, 02:20 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Harvey and Oscar nailed it.

Show and tell is always fun. You get a chance to see, touch, and smell things you normally wouldn't be able to. It's a great way to try things. I never would have guess how big a Chubby 2 or 3 was if Andrew and Bill hadn't brought them to one of our meet ups.

8 1,445
 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM
User Info
(01-30-2014, 02:10 PM)ojinsa Wrote: Harvey's right about all those things, but what I believe it's fundamentally about is an opportunity to meet like minded people and share the camaraderie with them, as well as see some odd and unusual goods that you may not otherwise see. As an example, if you look at some of the pics from the Austin meetup, you'll see some interesting and rare specimens (courtesy of Andrew, who really has an awesome collection of razors). And you'll see a bunch of artisan made soaps from Rod, owner of Stirling Soaps. Just looking at those items launches a discussion about them. There isn't typically an agenda and you move at your own pace. Usually someone will bring stuff to PIF, which is always a cool thing.

Speaking for myself, I had the chance to meet several members who I have been exchanging PMs over some time, receive a razor that I bought from Jeremy, hear some life experiences from those much wiser than I, and to see and shake the hand of a friend who will be leaving Texas and retuning to his homeland.

Just reading how well you articulate your experience makes me feel as though I were there myself, well done Oscar Thumbup

96 2,592
 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM
User Info
I certainly understand the social aspect. The only headphone forum I belong to any more is more like the regulars at Cheers than a forum. Occasionally we discuss headphones. Our last meet-up was to tour micro breweries in Michigan.

I'm sure I would enjoy meeting most of you Sniffing product and ogling items really does not appeal to me personally. Maybe because I'm more utilitarian than collector. Now, if like beartrap suggests meets are meeting to drink and get to know each other, I'm there Angel

6 358
 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-30-2014, 03:21 PM)Aimless1 Wrote: I certainly understand the social aspect. The only headphone forum I belong to any more is more like the regulars at Cheers than a forum. Occasionally we discuss headphones. Our last meet-up was to tour micro breweries in Michigan.

I'm sure I would enjoy meeting most of you Sniffing product and ogling items really does not appeal to me personally. Maybe because I'm more utilitarian than collector. Now, if like beartrap suggests meets are meeting to drink and get to know each other, I'm there Angel

Combine that with good food, some soap sniffing, brush touching... Can't go wrong! Come on over Biggrin

88 4,233
 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM
User Info
So Drink beer, eat food, sniff soaps and touch brushes ?

0 295
 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-30-2014, 05:34 PM)BigMark Wrote: So Drink beer, eat food, sniff soaps and touch brushes ?

And then some.

27 860
 01-30-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
In Chicago meet ups, we started introductions, proceeded to "Show and Tell," told stories about how we got into wet shaving, and ended with a raffle. Almost everyone brought and item to raffle off. We just put numbers in a hat and picked. I won a gold Aristocrat! It was great fun and resulted in developing numerous friendships. Have a great time. Wish I lived in the area!!!

0 295
 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
User Info
Well, as Oscar and Harvey have basically stated the main points of a meet-up along with seeing some straight razors and honing tutorials and getting a feel of what certain brushes, soaps, razors are like in person. When you have a chance to see some beautiful shaving products after having good food and drinks, it is such a pleasure! Of course, meeting such great individuals is the primary reason for the meet-ups, though!

83 21,109
 01-30-2014, 07:46 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-30-2014, 03:18 PM)Jmartz Wrote:
(01-30-2014, 02:10 PM)ojinsa Wrote: Harvey's right about all those things, but what I believe it's fundamentally about is an opportunity to meet like minded people and share the camaraderie with them, as well as see some odd and unusual goods that you may not otherwise see. As an example, if you look at some of the pics from the Austin meetup, you'll see some interesting and rare specimens (courtesy of Andrew, who really has an awesome collection of razors). And you'll see a bunch of artisan made soaps from Rod, owner of Stirling Soaps. Just looking at those items launches a discussion about them. There isn't typically an agenda and you move at your own pace. Usually someone will bring stuff to PIF, which is always a cool thing.

Just reading how well you articulate your experience makes me feel as though I were there myself, well done Oscar Thumbup

Thanks, hopefully you'll find yourself in Texas the next time we meet and see if I'm right.

27 860
 01-30-2014, 08:21 PM
User Info
Well, sounds like a good time!

The next time anyone from Texas, Chicago, or anywhere else wants to have a meet, I volunteer Maine as the place to do it!
Biggrin

32 6,470
 01-30-2014, 10:10 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-30-2014, 08:21 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, sounds like a good time!

The next time anyone from Texas, Chicago, or anywhere else wants to have a meet, I volunteer Maine as the place to do it!
Biggrin

Definitely something to consider! When cheap lobsters are in season Wink

88 4,233
 01-31-2014, 06:10 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Quote:.....I volunteer Maine as the place to do it!

Maybe in the Summer or Fall? Biggrin

4 2,822
 01-31-2014, 06:17 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I went to a meet up once, and with all of the brushes, soaps and creams on the table, the waitress asked us if we were barbers.

0 1,137
 01-31-2014, 08:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-31-2014, 06:17 AM)Elendil Wrote: I went to a meet up once, and with all of the brushes, soaps and creams on the table, the waitress asked us if we were barbers.

You should of told her you were body shavers and asked her if she wanted to participate. Wink

179 23,925
 01-31-2014, 06:16 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(01-31-2014, 08:45 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 06:17 AM)Elendil Wrote: I went to a meet up once, and with all of the brushes, soaps and creams on the table, the waitress asked us if we were barbers.

You should of told her you were body shavers and asked her if she wanted to participate. Wink

Biggrin

0 1,137