04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Hello, gents. I've been wet shaving for about three months and I am consistently getting wonderful shaves every day with next to no irritation. It almost doesn't matter what hardware/software combination I use. I seem to be able to get a very good shave pretty much on daily basis, which is a huge win for me and I enjoy the whole thing immensely. I will not discuss my ADs here as that is a whole 'nother side of wet shaving. I have switched from cartridges/brushless cremes to electric about two years ago because I could not stand the price of cartridges and since I did not know the joys of lathering I really did not enjoy shaving at that time, so switching to my dad's old Phillips electric was fine. For about two years when I just could not deal with the bad shaves (I would end up with the stubble I have now after about 18 hours after DE shaving right after the electric shave) and irritation. So I switched to DE and after about a month or so stopped cutting myself and started getting great shaves. This brings me to the question at hand. I have no problem getting a perfect BBS just about everywhere except my neck. I get close, certainly a DFS, but still, BBS eludes me on either side of my Adam's apple. Hair grows in different directions there and I try to touch up the neck after I am done with the rest of the shave, but that usually causes either bleeding or irritation and in either case no closer shave. What am I doing wrong? this is really not a big problem and if I never solve it I will still be very happy with my overall experience and would never want to switch. But if there is something I can try I am all ears.

Thanks!

25 1,718
 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
User Info
Well, every neck is different but for me, stretching, hair growth and light pressure rule my shaving method.

I stretch a lot (mainly by looking up and jutting my bottom jaw outward) and use an extremely light touch anywhere on my neck - especially ATG. Baring down at all is sure to produce irritation, much less a smooth shave. Also, don't forget blade angle. I think a lot of guys get lazy with the razor around their neck because the relative position of the razor is different. Example: it's easy to flex your wrist to move south-to-north towards your jawbone or chin, resulting in a scraping action. Even if I follow my own advice, I almost always require some multi-directional buffing below my ears because the hair seems to change direction between each shave. Dodgy

Stick with it. It'll come soon.

35 2,703
 04-30-2012, 09:06 PM
User Info
I have the exact same problem like you, looking forward to hearing different methods.

4 365
 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
i would love to help you, but my coarse beard and sensitive skin on my neck just will not get BBS, unfortunately. i get a very nice DFS in that area and i am very content with it. If i do too many passes, there, that is when the irritation sets in even with light pressure.
Good luck to you, but TexBilly's suggestion may be a good one.

76 20,924
 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
User Info
I'd be willing to bet it's the toughest area for most of us to shave and get a BBS. You're not alone.

I use very aggressive razors and the sharpest, smoothest blades I can get and that helps. As Tex wrote, no pressure and correct angle. I also get creative with the direction of the pass. I feel the wet skin for the proper ATG direction.

If I happen to be using a mild razor I pretty much don't even try for BBS there. It can be done, but it's not worth the aggravation IMO.

And the whiskers down there always feel worse when the skin is wet. After toweling off and the skin is dry it gets better. I always need to take that into account during the shave.

32 6,320
 04-30-2012, 10:38 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Streching the neck is important. Try concentrating on that and it should help some.

45 3,955
 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
User Info
Let it grow just a little and use a cotton ball, drag it around and map which way the whiskers grow. Don't know how you have been doing touch ups but you could try blade buffing with very little pressure works for me.

2 805
 04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
User Info
slant (37c) help me move from dfs to bbs on my neck ....without irritation the other razor were prone to give

0 61
 05-01-2012, 02:46 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I have been fighting a patch on my neck for years. There are a lot of good suggestions above. However, eventually I came to realize that when I shave hours before work, no-one will ever know or care if I hit pure BBS or just DFS. Since then, I have gone with DFS is good enough. I still do an extra pass on my neck each day to get to that point, but trying to reach 100% pure BBS was a goal that did not need met.

0 253
 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM
User Info
Like others, I have settled for DFS on my neck. The risk/reward for BBS vs. DFS just isn't worth it for me.

4 112
 05-01-2012, 06:41 AM
User Info
I'd say you shouldn't focus on BBS......anywhere! When I shave, my aim is a close, comfortable shave. Getting a BBS shave at the expense of discomfort is a horrible trade-off (not saying you're doing that).

Light pressure, short strokes, blade buffing, and perhaps a mild razor are what you could try in your problem areas. If it starts to get irritated, stop! You can try again the next day.

BBS is the reward, not the aim, of a good shave. You get it sometimes, but if you focus on it, you're likely to have an uncomfortable shave..............that's too much of a price to pay.

37 1,731
 05-01-2012, 07:04 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Around the Adam's apple I gently move my skin to one side and shave atg. Go slow and it should work for you. And use a light touch.

103 12,542
 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Gents, thank you very much. I am mainly glad to see that I am not alone in this. I have definitely settled for a comfortable DFS on the neck vs. uncomfortable bloody BBS. I am not that far from BBS on the neck, just not quite there. And that's ok, because only I and maybe my wife know that. Visually the neck looks perfectly clean shaven. The rest of my face usually ends up with BBS on a daily basis. I'll keep trying, but not at the expense of blood letting.

Thanks!

25 1,718
 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Since the hair grows in all different directions on my neck, here is what I do. All with the skin stretched tight and no pressure on the razor.

1. WTG - north/south

2. ATG - south/north

3. ATG - west/east on the left side

4. ATG - east/west on the right side.

I have a large scar on the left side that takes a little touch up but other than that, I consider it BBS.

174 23,638
 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM
User Info
Has anyone else noticed that stretching the skin may cause the hairs on the neck to lay closer to the skin? This happens to me especially in certain areas of my neck where my throat and neck makes a "dip" or concave shape.

9 1,199
 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 08:39 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Has anyone else noticed that stretching the skin may cause the hairs on the neck to lay closer to the skin? This happens to me especially in certain areas of my neck where my throat and neck makes a "dip" or concave shape.

Depends on which side you stretch it from. If sking stretching seems to lay the hairs against the skin, then try stretching from the other side; that should raise the hairs up.

37 1,731
 05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 08:54 AM)yohannrjm Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 08:39 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Has anyone else noticed that stretching the skin may cause the hairs on the neck to lay closer to the skin? This happens to me especially in certain areas of my neck where my throat and neck makes a "dip" or concave shape.

Depends on which side you stretch it from. If sking stretching seems to lay the hairs against the skin, then try stretching from the other side; that should raise the hairs up.

Correct, I believe the general rule of thumb is to stretch in the oppsoite direction of the growth. But sometimes nothing I do works well.

9 1,199
 05-02-2012, 08:05 AM
User Info
I use a Fatboy adjustable and use a lower "more mild" setting when doing my neck WTG. Then when I do a ATG pass I use an even lower setting. Always try using a very light (no pressure) touch. For me tipping my head back was enough stretching of the skin that I needed.

0 26
 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM
User Info
the only trouble spots I have with shaving on my neck region is the middle of my neck, towards the bottom half and the right side of my neck where the hair grows in a different direction than the rest of my neck.

40 5,830
 05-02-2012, 01:27 PM
  • gsgo
User Info
At last count I have found at least five diferent hair growth directions on my neck (coutesy of a new reading glasses prescription). With all that going on I never really try to get a BBS result and focus instead on getting close and comfortable with no drama. If I want to go close I will do a final touch up pass with Pacific Shaving Oil with the lightest of touch.

We sometimes need to lighten up to shave better.

0 11