01-30-2014, 11:13 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I have looked online and have yet to find how the run of the bakelite slants came about and know a few were being passed around between a few groups. I was curious if anyone can tell me info on the recent popup of them and what my chances are of being able to find one. I do plan to buy one of the Razorock slants when they come out but I do enjoy my 37 Merkur and would love to add a few more slants to my collection.

Any help and suggestions?

Thanks and best wishes,

Zac

79 1,337
 01-31-2014, 04:25 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
It's not an easy razor to find, particularly at a decent price, but IMHO it's absolutely worth looking for. It's currently my favorite razor. Good luck on your search!

26 4,927
 01-31-2014, 09:08 PM
User Info
Thanks Monk!

Any tips on where I might catch one? I am guessing to just private message owners of one and that I might get really lucky down the line getting one.

Any idea how much I will probably pay?

79 1,337
 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
User Info
I think new they were what $60? or close to that. I found one on the B/S/T for $55(not for sale)but I've seen them go for alot more than that on eBay. Patience is the key, if I see one I'll try and let you know..

16 215
 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-31-2014, 09:08 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Thanks Monk!

Any tips on where I might catch one? I am guessing to just private message owners of one and that I might get really lucky down the line getting one.

Any idea how much I will probably pay?

When they first came out, I believe they were being sold out of Italy for something like $20 USD, but now it will be hard to buy one for less than $50.
Those that haven't sold theirs already, will probably be looking to make some profit, so my advice is to be patient and not to get carried away. I say this because I saw one a few months ago being sold on eBay for something like $130 which, to me, is absurd, even though it is my current favorite DE razor, as I've said earlier.

26 4,927
 02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
User Info
(02-03-2014, 10:36 AM)scottb7862 Wrote: I think new they were what $60? or close to that. I found one on the B/S/T for $55(not for sale)but I've seen them go for alot more than that on eBay. Patience is the key, if I see one I'll try and let you know..

Actually, that was dependent from where you bought from.
The first time that they were sold on ebay, directly from Italy, they were sold at the €5-€10 price range each, depending on the pack.

http://shavenook.com/thread-bakelite-sla...in-germany

In USA, I believe that Joe @italianbarber sold them at a usd$30price range.

http://shavenook.com/thread-bakelite-slant-merkur

2 5,547
 02-03-2014, 03:28 PM
User Info
(02-03-2014, 01:51 PM)oversaturn Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 10:36 AM)scottb7862 Wrote: I think new they were what $60? or close to that. I found one on the B/S/T for $55(not for sale)but I've seen them go for alot more than that on eBay. Patience is the key, if I see one I'll try and let you know..

Actually, that was dependent from where you bought from.
The first time that they were sold on ebay, directly from Italy, they were sold at the €5-€10 price range each, depending on the pack.

http://shavenook.com/thread-bakelite-sla...in-germany

In USA, I believe that Joe @italianbarber sold them at a usd$30price range.

http://shavenook.com/thread-bakelite-slant-merkur

Ok, gotcha... I missed them on Italian ebay and I missed them at Italian Barber(you think they'd be Italian???) but caught one on a B/S/T.. $20 or $30 for one of those is a great price..Do you think they were NOS or manufactured recently? They were one of the reasons I turned my collection around and concentrated on Slants these days!

16 215
 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM
User Info
As I already described at the first thread that I've pointed, we have several reasons (the main one being the type of plastic used) to think that they were manufactured some years ago, in a time frame probably situated between the 60's and 80's.

Of course that I may be wrong, but I do not believe that they are something made yesterday on a Chinese plant of some sort.

2 5,547
 02-07-2014, 01:40 AM
User Info
Thanks for the further reply's and information from everybody. I was very fortunate to get a forward from a member on a Merkel for purchase and I luckily was able to grab it. It was perfect timing after seeing another one in a buy/sell/trade but was already sold. So I will definitely get my review in soon on it.

Best Wishes to All!

79 1,337
 02-07-2014, 05:13 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-07-2014, 01:40 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Thanks for the further reply's and information from everybody. I was very fortunate to get a forward from a member on a Merkel for purchase and I luckily was able to grab it. It was perfect timing after seeing another one in a buy/sell/trade but was already sold. So I will definitely get my review in soon on it.

Best Wishes to All!

Congratulations! Wink
Could you tell us how much you payed for it, so as to assess their current market value?

26 4,927
 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 05:13 AM)TheMonk Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 01:40 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Thanks for the further reply's and information from everybody. I was very fortunate to get a forward from a member on a Merkel for purchase and I luckily was able to grab it. It was perfect timing after seeing another one in a buy/sell/trade but was already sold. So I will definitely get my review in soon on it.

Best Wishes to All!

Congratulations! Wink
Could you tell us how much you payed for it, so as to assess their current market value?

I think it was $75 plus $7 shipping. Great thing is it shipped from CA this morning so I will get it very very soon! The other listing I saw it sold for around $60 I believe.

79 1,337
 02-07-2014, 08:28 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-07-2014, 08:20 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 05:13 AM)TheMonk Wrote:

Best Wishes to All!

Congratulations! Wink

I think it was $75 plus $7 shipping. Great thing is it shipped from CA this morning so I will get it very very soon! The other listing I saw it sold for around $60 I believe.

Not cheap, but I guess that's pretty much what they've been going for, nowadays. If you do enjoy it as much as I do, you may consider buying the razorock slant, it will cost you less than that and, being made of aluminum, it will definitely be more durable.
Congratulations on the purchase once again!

26 4,927